Tyre Tread Depth Changed

K100RS

Have been very impressed with Michelin Cross Climate tyres for many years on the wife's Yeti with high mileage before having to change them. So went out and purchased four new Cross Climate tyres for my son's Fabia. Every tyre change on the Yeti started at 8 mm tread in the middle and across the tyre. Now the new ones on his Fabia only measure 7 mm of tread? Are Michelin cutting down on tread to wear them down quicker and need replacing or is this a different mix to all the others fitted on the Yeti?  Anybody noticed the new tread being less than before?

Using the same measuring tool so no change there.

What size were the Yeti CrossClimate and what are the Fabia.

Then were the Yeti's Cross Climate & the Fabias CrossClimate Plus?

I have 18" CrossClimate SUV's and they have 8mm of tread.

The Light Commercial 'Agilis' Cross Climate + up to 17" have 9.2mm of tread.

Edited by Roottootemoot

All the new winter tyres for my daughter’s new Leon Cupra are over 9mm, that is Goodyear Something Gen1!

Edit:- I’m sure that my wife’s winter tyres on her 2015 Polo were all just under 8m new , and that was Michelin Alpins, bought in October 2015!

Edited by rum4mo

Back again as I have just had fitted to my Vauxhall Combo Van the same Michelin Cross Climate tyres all round. Guess what the ones fitted also measure 7 mm across the width of the new tyres and not the 8 mm that was the standard depth of tread on the last 2 pairs of tyres fitted on the Yeti.  Yeti size is 225/50 17" V Rated.   Vauxhall Combo Van 175/70 14" 88T Rated.   Skoda Fabia 205/45 16" 83W.  So it seems on the latest Michelin batch of tyres fitted this year in Norwich all seem to be down by 1mm of tread?

They all handle extremely well in wet and slippery conditions as before but just intrigued how one mm has evaporated away. Still using the same depth gauge and measuring the same as I always have since the Yeti was purchased back in 2011.

• Like 1

Could the reason be that by consistently using the same depth gauge over the last 8 years you've Worn away 1mm from the end of it..........

It's feasible Michelin have applied the same principle to the depths of their tyres as confectionery manufacturers have to boxes of chocolates;

Screenshot_20191106-153327_Opera.thumb.jpg.98b3d6595de7f609288436d7c435fa3c.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Could the reason be that by consistently using the same depth gauge over the last 8 years you've Worn away 1mm from the end of it..........

It's feasible Michelin have applied the same principle to the depths of their tyres as confectionery manufacturers have to boxes of chocolates;

Screenshot_20191106-153327_Opera.thumb.jpg.98b3d6595de7f609288436d7c435fa3c.jpg

And yet the NHS spend on obesity related illness is growing year on year. 🤔