Skoda to become more of a budget brand

Guest BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

Rumours circulating that Skoda is to adopt a more 'budget' brand outlook and Seat to possibly ditch the Seat  brand and use Cupra to become more exclusive / prestige

Surely can't be good for 2nd hand Skoda value's

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/skoda-boss-plays-down-plans-reposition-budget-brand

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/seat-could-rebrand-cupra-upmarket-push

Seemingly skoda can't win.

Many complain about the list prices of new skoda's being too high (kamiqs in the mid 30k and kodiaqs well over 40k). Surely a down grading of the brand would be considered a good thing by some. Would it not strength the used prices of certain more desirable models if new high spec versions were no longer available? Perhaps look out for a future skoda sub brand? Particularly as more EV's a rolled out... 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

Can't see what affect it has on used Skoda prices of cars already on the road.

It is not as though trade ins at non main dealers is anything special, just like with SEAT.

For private sales people either are interested and want particular Skoda, or might see they can be a bargain compared to a very similar VW and take an interest in them and get their first Skoda.

Guest BigJase88
1 hour ago, Gmac983 said:

Seemingly skoda can't win.

Many complain about the list prices of new skoda's being too high (kamiqs in the mid 30k and kodiaqs well over 40k). Surely a down grading of the brand would be considered a good thing by some. Would it not strength the used prices of certain more desirable models if new high spec versions were no longer available? Perhaps look out for a future skoda sub brand? Particularly as more EV's a rolled out... 

some of those new prices are rather extreme i must say. I wouldn’t pay 40k for a kodiaq thats for sure

Guest BigJase88

Going budget might not be a bad idea for Skoda

they still haven’t made a car as good as the octy and fabia mk1 vrs’s

plus they have went red stitching and red calipers. Skoda should be green

Edited by BigJase88

When I first got my VRS I thought I got a bargain. I've never had another because I just don't think the value is there.

A nearly new VRS is the same sort of money as a nearly new 320i BMW.

I've got the feeling in the last 10yr that 'cheap' cars have got more expensive and 'expensive' cars have got cheaper. If the maufacturers have allowed that gap to close then I guess many (like me) would rather pay a little more and move up marque.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigJase88 said:

Rumours circulating that Skoda is to adopt a more 'budget' brand outlook

Surely that would simply be returning to the original Skoda ethos?

When we bought my wife's Fabia new in 2005 it was under £7000 for a very good spec - taking inflation into account the equivalent new Fabia today is well expensive IMHO.

Which is why we bought our Octavia as a one year old in 2016... so some other mug took nearly 35% depreciation B)

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88
1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Surely that would simply be returning to the original Skoda ethos?

When we bought my wife's Fabia new in 2005 it was under £7000 for a very good spec - taking inflation into account the equivalent new Fabia today is well expensive IMHO.

Which is why we bought our Octavia as a one year old in 2016... so some other mug took nearly 35% depreciation B)

Yeah car prices have went insane.

brand new honda civic type r gt in 2008 was £16000

now a brand new honda civic type r gt is £32000

my wages haven’t doubled since 2008 that is for sure