Oil leak after servicing the car at Skoda dealership

spyshagg

Hello all!  Happy new year!

Yeti 1.2TSI from 2010

I serviced my car at an official skoda dealership. Oil + oil filter change.   The first night after the car arrived, there was oil on the floor.

I took the car back, and they are telling me its the Oil Filter "body" O-ring. They are asking me 90€ for a 5€ o-ring + labor.

I thought the O-ring was part of the oil filter. When you buy an oil filter, it comes with a new o-ring pre-installed.  Am I being duped here?

I'm about to pick up the car in 1 hour.  Help please!

Edited by spyshagg

sorry! 1.2TSI from 2010

I called them and they told me its not that o-ring that failed. Its the o-ring from the oil filter "body" which isn't easily accessible. 

Edited by spyshagg

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

The one they are talking about is item 13 on this page I think: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/yeti/yet/2010-666/9/903-903015/#13

But if it wasn't leaking before the service, and it is now, they have caused the problem and should fix at their expense.

Thank you!

But I cannot see how it can be damaged by only changing the oil and the filter?  That entire piece is bolted and not removable it seems?  How could they damage it?

• Like 1

No idea.

I seems much more likely that it is coming from the filter. Isn't the 1.2 tsi the engine where old O-rings easily get left behind by service people when changing the oil filter,?

Maybe they are just trying to cover up their mistake and make some extra money...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xman said:

You have been duped.

The O ring is supplied with and already fitted to the filter and easily removed and refitted by hand.

In your case it's literally a 5 minute job to unscrew the filter, remove the o ring that they left behind from the previous filter, and refit the filter which will still have it's o ring intact.

https://www.mpulse.mahle.com/en/do-and-get/changing-the-filter.jsp

They told you a pack of lies, conned you out of more money, (a new OE filter is about £5) and possibly damaged your engine which has been driving around on extremely low pressure.

Report them to your local trading standards officials.

No way to prove it.  I asked them to reproduce the damaged part when I arrive to pick up the car. I know how it looks like thanks to @Wino 

Please ignore my previous post.

Having reread your posts it looks like they are claiming the leak is from the housing where it's fitted to the engine which I agree is highly unlikely to be the culprit.

I suspect they fitted the wrong filter, the one for the 1.4tsi instead of the 1.2tsi. The only difference between the two is there is a different seal arrangement on the outside of the filter which goes into the filter housing.

Either way it didn't leak before the service, so its something that's happened under their care. Check the filter part numbers on the invoice and those on the fitted filter.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Don’t fix what isn’t broken! I think SKODA are quite high up there ,ref dieselgate ,tsi engines,and of late 1.5 L KANGAROO lies,lies and more lies.