VRS 245 Oil - 19 Plate

Hello all,

This has probably been done to death but I’m not sure the answer is clear enough for me.

What oil is supposed to go in the VRS 245? This is my second Octy and the first one I had used 5w-30. I’ve heard that 0w-20 should be used for GPF cars? I’m not even sure my car has a GPF - is there a way to tell?

I called my local Skoda dealer who said when they do an oil change they would use 5w-30. I asked about what these cars   come with out of the factory and he said it’s the same oil. He doubled checked with a colleague in the workshop to confirm.

I’m assuming if I did an oil change 5w-30 would be fine - it’s the same engine as my previous car and not sure how a GPF effects what oil is in the engine.

The manual is literally no help - says something along the lines of ‘please consult your local workshop or service centre’

How can it be this difficult to find out what oil to use? Unless of course I’m to take my dealers word for it.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by spooks1982

The fact the car has a GPF makes no difference,  VW / Skoda recommend the VW508 / 509 because they left the factory with it.  Since 2018.

If you choose to use VW504 / 507 you can.   But if topping up best stick with VW 508 / 509 0w 20 FS IV until it has a Oil & Filter change.

972195316_Screenshot2019-07-21at16_37_00.png.8d4d9f7044d54aed70e7ca9a6b87deb7.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Hey - thanks for the reply - my manual doesn’t say the same as yours?

Why are Skoda changing oil to 5w-30 at the service If it should be 0w-20? The engine has not changed since I had my octavia 220bhp estate, it’s just a software update to raise to 245bhp.

Ive just bought 9L of 5w-30 based off my conversation with Skoda and previous experience 😩

DABCB608-92DC-4EDF-8954-77D6CE84B57B.jpeg

Edited by spooks1982

That is not my manual, just from other threads.

VW went VW508 / 509 to get WLTP RDE & RDE2 results, and in case cars were retested as they reached other countries as VW's were into the UK.

I would give the crappy 0w 20 FS IV a miss if i owned a TSI.  Any TSI.  

Main Dealerships are not going to get away for ever just using VW504 / 507 in everything as they do for handiness.

*Because of the 'Can result in the slight deterioration of the emissions values.*   ie The cheat VW did for WLTP / RDE / RDE2.

(Years they said they did not have stock of VW502 so you could not get it even if you wanted as a service.)

They buy in Bulk and some never even stocked the ridiculously expensive VW508 / 509 for topping up or retailing.

It is available cheap on-line if anyone wants it.

7 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

That is not my manual, just from other threads.

VW went VW508 / 509 to get WLTP RDE & RDE2 results, and in case cars were retested as they reached other countries as VW's were into the UK.

I would give the crappy 0w 20 FS IV a miss if i owned a TSI.  Any TSI.  

Main Dealerships are not going to get away for ever kjust using VW504 / 507 in everything as they do for handiness.

(Years they said they did not have stock of VW502 so you could not get it even if you wanted as a service.)

They buy in Bulk and some never even stocked the ridiculously expensive VW508 / 509 for topping up or retailing.

It is available cheap on-line if anyone wants it.

Thanks buddy. Yeah I’m going to stick with VW504. Bought my car used with around 5600 miles on the clock and plan on swapping the oil out a lot more regularly than the variable servicing that is recommended.

• Like 1

My  19 plate 245 Vrs has just had its 1st service and the dealer has used  508.00 0w-20 oil which is the correct spec for this car. The service manager seems to be on the ball and explained the importance of using the correct oil spec.  If for some reason the engine goes pop and you are trying to claim on the warranty they might carry out an Oil test. With the correct equipment they can tell the spec of oil used and if it's found to be incorrect this will void the warranty

( awaits the arrival of the oil police )

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

SKODA WARRANTY POLICE would need to investigate the Approved Repairers / Franchised Dealerships that are doing Services now and up to now and using 

VW 504 / 507 on WLTP Certificated TSI's with or without GPF's and TDI's.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

And if they want to pick up on anything, they need to make clear that not only is VW 504 / 507 an approved Oil to use now in 2020, 

but also VW 502 with a TSI if you want to use when doing Fixed Servicing.

More training required of Service Desk staff, workshop employees, management at Dealerships. Customer Services and VW Group employees.

They should know their oils, fluids and service guidelines and schedules. 

Basically their ar53 from their elbow.

*Call to ask what oils and fluids will be used at the Service and record that or Email and ask, and keep for your records.*

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.22.17.png

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 14.23.23.png

Secret memo to Skoda dealers from Skoda HQ:

“This new 0-20 oil,push it to customers as much as you can,the retail price is high so that gives both of us a better profit margin and because it’s as thin as water more if it should get used between services thus increasing sales.”

Personally I choose to view it as a thin oil running in oil and when the car is one year old it will go onto annual servicing,and if Skoda in their wisdom deem it satsfactory to fill it with 5-30 oil that will be fine with me.

22 hours ago, spooks1982 said:

Why are Skoda changing oil to 5w-30 at the service If it should be 0w-20? The engine has not changed since I had my octavia 220bhp estate, it’s just a software update to raise to 245bhp.

Allegedly there are minor changes to the engine, although I suspect the change of spec relates to emissions and upselling at service time (!) rather than the minor mechanical differences, but have a read of this......

I found 0w 20 Castrol on the bay at a sensible price and use that to top up our two 245's.........

Edited by Phil245

3 hours ago, Phil245 said:

Allegedly there are minor changes to the engine, although I suspect the change of spec relates to emissions and upselling at service time (!) rather than the minor mechanical differences, but have a read of this......

I found 0w 20 Castrol on the bay at a sensible price and use that to top up our two 245's.........

Good find that. I think I'm going to re-fill with 504 rates 5w-30 at the weekend. It would seem that this is perfectly acceptable as per the workshop manual I purchased: -

5w-30 seems to be far cheaper and much easier to get hold of. :)

oil.PNG

• Thanks 1

I used 5w40 VW 502 when I changed it myself.

Apparently better for the engine than the others, don't really care about the emissions, it's cheap (£35 for 6L).

I'll be interested what the garage (independant) say when I go to take it for it's official service later this year about it being on variable. 

I'll probably supply the oil, in which case I'll give them some 5w30 504 to tick that box.  

If it was a technical reason you couldn't use it then I doubt they would list certain countries you couldn't use it in. I'm with you Alex-W I'd prefer something a bit more viscous to protect the engine long term rather than slightly lower emissions and marginal fuel consumption gains. I'm a firm believer in an oil and filter change being the best thing you can do for a car. 

• Like 1