1.0 TSI 115 engine: Has anyone seen big miles out of one yet?

DJ_EFK

I am interested to know if a (supposedly) highly stressed small turbocharged engine such as this will be durable in the long-term. I am looking for a car to keep until it falls apart / otherwise dies.

Has anyone done big mileages (80k+) in one of these yet and if so, what has been your experience in terms of how well it's worn those high miles?

In my case, I would treat mine to more regular servicing (oil changes) than the variable =<19,000 miles variable schedule allows for. I also allow engines to warm up and don't thrash them, most of my journeys will be longer ones on faster roads.

Anyone?

Edited by DJ_EFK

@DJ_EFK

115ps 1.0TSI engines have not been available in MK3 Fabias.

The Rapid section is where there might be members that have done higher miles in those, but maybe Pre GPF's fitted.

?

If your interest is in getting a 95 or 110 ps 1.0TSI are you asking about new ones since they have had a GPF?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

I can't comment on the 1.0 tsi but the 1.4 tdi defiantly retards power when the engine is cold. The only reason I know this is that I live up a big hill and sometimes park at the bottom. When the engine is warm it'll go up in 3rd easily, but when cold you have to use 2nd.

In terms of longevity. That engine has been used in many VW group cars. So I guess the question can be researched that way.

1.2tsi 110 with stage 1 revo tune, 100kkm in 3 years time. Services always in 15kkm intervals 5w-40 shell. 

Will have to do brakes in next 10kkm all round, changed the lower aarm bushes to poly, same as the antirollbar bushes. Other than this it is original. 

Still pulls like a champ, with 5.3 l/100km overall yearly average consumption. 

23 minutes ago, krigl said:

1.2tsi 110 with stage 1 revo tune, 100kkm in 3 years time. Services always in 15kkm intervals 5w-40 shell. 

Will have to do brakes in next 10kkm all round, changed the lower aarm bushes to poly, same as the antirollbar bushes. Other than this it is original. 

Still pulls like a champ, with 5.3 l/100km overall yearly average consumption. 

1.2 TSI 90 here, late 15 plate, 63,000 miles (101,000 km), still running perfectly, zero oil consumption. It gets hammered regularly! Can get 50+mpg from it easily if i try even with short journeys.

How did the ARB bushes affect the ride? i've got poly lower arm bushes, haven't touched the ARB ones yet but they do need doing.

Noting special on the ARB bushes, just keep in mind to put grease in and you will have a creek free subframe. This was the main point of doing this.
The original lower aarm bushes were basically crap to start with and after 60kkm left my tires in bad shape. The poly ones are superb, sharper feeling, very nice. No extra comfort issues.

2 hours ago, krigl said:

Noting special on the ARB bushes, just keep in mind to put grease in and you will have a creek free subframe. This was the main point of doing this.
The original lower aarm bushes were basically crap to start with and after 60kkm left my tires in bad shape. The poly ones are superb, sharper feeling, very nice. No extra comfort issues.

I'm getting subframe creaks from my standard old ARB bushes. Do poly ones keep drying out? Or is it just make sure its well greased when installing them?

The lower arm bushes really have helped reduce wear on the front tyres. I have PowerFlex purples installed, which do you have? 

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

So to help the OP.

?

What is the mileage anyone has done now with a WLTP Approved 110ps 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI with a GPF?     (Nothing like a 1.2 tsi Euro 6 with 4 cylinder other than both are engines.)

it'll be much the same as the 95ps, except for some variables in the ECU for boost, fuelling and timing.

The DSG only comes with the 110ps version though so here's one;

20 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

There is no Option now for a DSG with a any 1.0tsi engine output & a New Fabia Mk3.

True, the Fabia is now only 95ps with the 5spd manual

However it's worth noting if you desire, there are some tuners that will do "OE spec" remaps. These are simply the OE map from the highest output variant of that particular engine.

Celtic Tuning is one who offers such a service.

For the current 1.0 TSI w/GPF it's 115ps, not sure for the 1.0 TSI wo/GPF, may also be 115ps. Taken from a Polo or Ibiza or something.

My 1.2TSI 90 can be programmed with the OE 110ps map. It's much cheaper than a complete remap (to 130-140 ish). I'm not sure how it would affect the warranty, as it's technically not above spec, it's just "un-detuned". Also doesn't increase insurance as much.

Aside from that, the manual gearbox will last pretty much forever, if it does go, there's plenty of second hand boxes on ebay for cheap as chips. These boxes are really common.

If you want your gearbox to last nigh on forever, give it an oil change at the same time you change your engine oil. Or if you want to be excessive with the engine too, change engine oil every 5,000 miles and gearbox every 10,000. Give it the best chance it's got.

• Confused 1

They can.  VW Group tell them what it will be.

They are struggling to get the Low Emissions Average required.   It is ridiculous to get an Auto you have to go for a Citigo IV (electric) or a Scala with a £20,200 RRP that you might get for just above £16,000.

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 13.27.41.png

6 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

They can.  VW Group tell them what it will be.

They are struggling to get the Low Emissions Average required.   It is ridiculous to get an Auto you have to go for a Citigo IV (electric)

My mother recently changed her old Up! for a new one with a 1.0MPI, but did visit a Skoda dealership to see what they'd offer on a Citigo. I don't think she spent more than a few minutes there when she found out they were electric-only, and the salesperson more-or-less admitted they were losing a lot of return custom from otherwise-happy Citigo owners because of the lack of petrol options. Yes, it's marketed as a city car. No, it is not type-restricted to urban pootling (and I bet the vast majority of Up!/Citigo/Mii journey miles are not urban). The claimed 170-mile range is simply not enough and the regular charging is too inconvenient for an already-overloaded, busy lady in her 60s. Sod WLTP, she's got stuff to do.

And we've not even got on to how the CITIGOe is absurdly over-priced for what it is, even with the £3k5 grant. Seriously, who's going to buy that when an entry-level Fabia is £12k?

Such a shame. The Citigo -- once the small car done right -- is dead to me now.

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1