Hints on protecting cars that aren't being used.

RickW

Due to the current situation we only use the cars for journeys that are vital.

A situation is coming soon where we will probably have to self isolate for maybe a long period of time.

Any hints on how to protect our cars from problems during this time as they won't be being driven.

Putting them on bricks is out of the question. 

Any advice welcome.

Braindump

Leave the car in gear if you can with the handbrake off. Just incase the rear brakes bind on.
Don't worry about the battery for 2-3 weeks but me mindful of short journies.
If the car s going to be left for more than a month it's going to need live support on a battery charger once every few weeks.
If the car is going to be left for more than a month. Over inflate your tyres to protect them, don't forget to return to normal before driving.
If your car is going to not be used for 6+ months. Run down the fuel to near empty if petrol then boost with fresh petrol (jerry can) before driving. No need to do anything if diesel unless you have filled up in the summer and it's now winter.

If the car is in a garage for a long period. Leave it unlocked unalarmed if you can. Cars do weird things when the battery is low.

Edited by abaxas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice.

My Fabia is a dsg so should I leave it in neutral or park?

Wife's Citigo is asg so assume that's fine as it is.

Edited by RickW

Leave both in P on the flat if you can, and the Citigo needs the parking brake off as well. 

Be sure the tyre pressures are towards a higher rather than lower pressure.

I would leave the fuel tanks full even though winter is nearly over.

The filling stations near Preston are likely still getting Winter Formulation petrol which is less hygroscopic than the fuel that gets delivered from the end of March on.

Maybe leave a Moisture absorbing pack or 2 in each car (Or dry salt in a container) , and air the car when you can if you can not leave the window down a mm..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As it may be a 12-week isolation, I suggest you get a trickle charger for the battery. A reasonable cheapo on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-MP7402-Automatic-Trickle-Charger-12V/dp/B01C781H2W/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=trickle+charger&qid=1584885975&sr=8-4

Over inflate the tyres (say +6lb) and as it's an auto, leave it in P and with the handbrake off. If it's petrol, leave the tank fairly low, then top up with fresh fuel from a jerry can before starting. Reset the tyres too! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A wee point about Jerry Cans. 

You should not store fuel in 20 litre Jerry Cans, rather store it in the cars fuel tank.

If storing 10 litres in cans that can go off, and who knows in the near future if storing or filling Jerry Cans at filling stations for non commercial users will be banned or restricted.

Winter Spec fuel now in a car tank will be as good as safe to use in a few months and even if people say a not full fuel tank will not get condensation they actually can.

So fill the tank and reduce the surface area in a tank that is exposed, and the less hygroscopic winter spec fuel will be perfectly OK.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

A wee point about Jerry Cans. 

You should not store fuel in 20 litre Jerry Cans, rather store it in the cars fuel tank.

If storing 10 litres in cans that can go off, and who knows in the near future if storing or filling Jerry Cans at filling stations for non commercial users will be banned or restricted.

Winter Spec fuel now in a car tank will be as good as safe to use in a few months and even if people say a not full fuel tank will not get condensation they actually can.

So fill the tank and reduce the surface area in a tank that is exposed, and the less hygroscopic winter spec fuel will be perfectly OK.

I think that probably used to be true but I'm not 100% sure these days due to the increase in ethanol in petrol. Noting that ethanol is hydroscopic.

The advantage of a having a low amount of 'old' petrol in the tank and then adding in fresh means that your final mixture is closer to fresh petrol.

Also my understanding is that this winter/summer petrol thing doesn't happen in the UK as we don't get cold enough. Diesel is definitely different.

The word is 'hygroscopic'. 

Your understanding is wrong on winter fuel in the UK.

Mid October in Scotland to the end March or Later from the depots. 

Slightly later sometimes down south in starting and the Winter Grade can arrive in the UK later than in Europe some years. 

Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 15.28.48.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 15.29.10.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 15.29.26.jpg

1811161339_Carbon_Factors_Petrol_Final_report.pdf

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 14:13, TerFar said:

As it may be a 12-week isolation, I suggest you get a trickle charger for the battery. A reasonable cheapo on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-MP7402-Automatic-Trickle-Charger-12V/dp/B01C781H2W/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=trickle+charger&qid=1584885975&sr=8-4

Over inflate the tyres (say +6lb) and as it's an auto, leave it in P and with the handbrake off. If it's petrol, leave the tank fairly low, then top up with fresh fuel from a jerry can before starting. Reset the tyres too! 

Thanks, I've ordered a trickle charger which I'm glad about due to the lockdown.

Honestly I'd probably just go for a drive once a week or so. You're unlikely to be challenged if you don't get out your car, nor will you be a danger to yourself or others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Australia for a month, came home and the engine fired on the button. Drive the car around the block once a couple of weeks to remove rust from the brake discs. As we are approaching the warmer months that will not be much of a problem. After all new cars or pre-loved cars on garage forecourts can be there for months with no ill effects. I don't think the condensation issue is a problem. Tanks are usually a plastics material so there is very little temperature between inside and outside the tank to cause condensation.

Edited by edbostan
  • Thanks 1

Your Austin might need a bit more TLC, Lol.

I use a 4 watt solar charger permanently plugged in and give it an external charge boost when icy weather approaching.

I see you now have purchased a charger., albeit a very cheap one......sorry.

Just need to make sure you use it, I'm assuming you have a garage????????? as you mention 'trickle charger'.

I prefer to chock my wheels (rather than leave it in gear for manual) but DSG will need to be in park anyway, but I do still chock wheel first and then place in Park after the vehicle is rested..

It can be difficult to pull out of Park if the weight of the car is resting on the Park Pawl.

Maybe cover the screen with an old sheet, to keep the sun out??? depends how much you love your car, and how anal you are, Lol       (no offence intended)

And maybe cover your tyres / wheels to keep brake discs clean, but none of these necessary if garaged, obviously.

Battery is main thing to look after as irreversible damage can occur if lowly charged and freezing weather, and we are approaching a considerable cold snap it seems.

Good luck everybody.

Edited by Tilt
  • Thanks 1

@RickW The charger you purchased is only a Trickle charger and if you have two batteries to look after, it may struggle at only 0.5A

I use an old Gunsons which gives an initial 6 amp boost for 15 minutes and then drops to 4.2 amp continuous.

If your cars are outside can you safely leave it trickle charging in the rain???

I definitely recommend a solar charger as your cars are left outside. No lower than 4 watt really.

I have the briefcase style one but they have gone up in price a lot since I purchased mine a number of years ago...........still working too.

Just hang in your window or on dash, plug into 12v socket, and forget (assuming 12v socket remains live, without ignition on.

52 minutes ago, abaxas said:

Even a 0.5A trickle charger is fine. It just takes longer to charge.

Just stick it on when it's not raining for as long as you can. Then do the same next week.

Agreed.................. If BOTH batteries are well charged in the first place, then a long trickle charge on each, maybe weekly / fortnightly, should be fine.........

If he remembers and can be bothered........

Solar charger = no bother so no worries......

And even in good sunny conditions, they typically produce only about a tenth of their claimed output. (Read that in a pretty serious discussion/testing of them recently, can't remember where sadly, but from personal experience and measurement, it stacks up).

17 minutes ago, Wino said:

And even in good sunny conditions, they typically produce only about a tenth of their claimed output. (Read that in a pretty serious discussion/testing of them recently, can't remember where sadly, but from personal experience and measurement, it stacks up).

They are crap in terms of charging batteries but they are excellent at topping up and slowing the discharge rate.

Ie it's not about keeping the battery at full charge, their use is to keep the battery for killing itself due to being over discharged.

25 minutes ago, abaxas said:

They are crap in terms of charging batteries but they are excellent at topping up and slowing the discharge rate.

Ie it's not about keeping the battery at full charge, their use is to keep the battery for killing itself due to being over discharged.

My trickle charger provides a maximum of 0.5 A until the battery is full and then drops to 20 mA. Every 48 hours, it tests all is in order by gently discharging (doesn't state the rate, but looking at the cables, it must be at 0.5 A max) for 15 mins and then goes back to trickle charge at 0.5 A mode until it's full again.

I did use it once when the battery was very low (about 12.15 V) and it took just over three days to go through its 'Save Battery cycle' and a full slow recharge!

2 hours ago, abaxas said:

Just remember that solar chargers don't work in garages 😛

On 24/03/2020 at 11:06, RickW said:

My Austin A40 is garaged but not our Skodas.

2 hours ago, abaxas said:

So......... It's perfect in the op's situation imo.

I did also mention that it is sensible to make sure the battery is in a good state of charge to start with.

The problem with chargers and vehicles outside, if we have days of rain when you either not able, or cannot be bothered to put charger on, and freezing nights in between then battery problems can easily arise. (And the Op has only purchased a trickle charger anyway)

Or just take your chances. Up to the individual.

I only paid £18 for my solar charger tho...........now on Amazon @£60, wow. (are available elsewhere / and cheaper too)

Bought my Gunsons in 1994 at £20, and still going strong........That is why I would recommend buying a reasonable Quality one

Edited by Tilt
  • Thanks 1

On 24/03/2020 at 10:04, Aspman said:

Honestly I'd probably just go for a drive once a week or so. You're unlikely to be challenged if you don't get out your car, nor will you be a danger to yourself or others.

You would think so however, I have just been issued Paperwork to prove my occupation and I have to accompany that with my Work Identification to show I am required to Drive my Vehicle during the Lockdown. I know of 3 of my Colleagues all pulled over this Morning and asked to prove why they are Travelling.

Also given you are Self Isolating it is for a good reason to protect your Health so if you feel going out for a Joyride just to keep your Car happy is justifiable when pulled over by the Police then by all means try it.

Just stay at home, Please.

• Like 2

The UK Governments have not provided ID cards or Vouchers / Permits to show that someone driving a private non commercial vehicle is on their way to buy or collect groceries or medicines or that they are a carer for family or others.

Those are activities that are essential for many and why the UK Government are waiving the need to get a car or motorbike MOT's for 6 months from the end of March.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

The UK Governments have not provided ID cards or Vouchers / Permits to show that someone driving a private non commercial vehicle is on their way to buy or collect groceries or medicines or that they are a carer for family or others.

Those are activities that are essential for many and why the UK Government are waiving the need to get a car or motorbike MOT's for 6 months from the end of March.

No they have not, If you are making a valid journey for reasons which you have stated then fair play and I agree it is essential for many to make those type of journeys.

But why the hell would you make an unnecessary journey for the sake of running the Car around the Block as a fellow Forum Member has advised the OP to do? If I am wrong then I put my hands up but I honestly do not see that as a valid reason.

Saying the chances of getting pulled over are slim and as long as you don't get out of the Car, Honestly boils my ****.

People are going to still do what the hell they want anyway, Nobody gives a crap about anyone else other than themselves.

• Like 1

Simple really.

DPF's and now GPF's and starting cars and warming them up occasionally will mean that some will have warning lights.

Not all can have a car on a charger because not all have off road parking and the AA, RAC, GreenFlag etc will be not wanting call outs because someone needs their car in an emergency.

Some people can not see valid reasons that applies to others sadly.  Sometimes people need to walk in others shoes.

• Like 2