Skoda Enyaq

vrskeith

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@MasternetThanks for all that.

?

What tyres does it have, Brands, name and size.

I think an EV is the best of all worlds for winter even if not plugging in and pre-heating. 

Just start and turn heating to full and put on heated seat/s and steering wheel and the ice falls off the windows in minutes.

Tyres were an issue for me and Michelin Primacy 4 tyres were terrible for traction in the wet, cold or snow so needed changing for all seasons, and now i have winter tyres on.

The winter tires are compulsory here, right now there is also a lot of snow here.

I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV (Front: 19", 235/55, Rear: 19", 255/50) and I am satisfied. Overall, the traction of Enyaq is good, because of the RWD and the weight distribution. The Traction control is quite strict - no fun like drifts, but I had no problems in the mountains (some cars had to use snow chains).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Masternet said:

The winter tires are compulsory here, right now there is also a lot of snow here.

I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV (Front: 19", 235/55, Rear: 19", 255/50) and I am satisfied. Overall, the traction of Enyaq is good, because of the RWD and the weight distribution. The Traction control is quite strict - no fun like drifts, but I had no problems in the mountains (some cars had to use snow chains).

It’s a long time since many of us drove RWD and the experience wasn’t always positive, in winter especially.

I think it’s generally accepted that FWD is inherently “safer” fir most of the people most of the time.

We don’t all want to drive The Ultimate Driving Machine all year round. Especially granny, who just wants to trundle here and there.

So - I don’t envisage buying an RWD leccy car.

But I will seriously consider a small leccy car to replace her Polo in a few years. The VW ID2 will be top of the test drive list.

A hybrid is out of the question. The ****** child product of a liaison between an ICE and a leccy. As are the IC cars currently (pun) rushed into production to prop up the manufacturers emissions figures.

Also ******ised ICE vehicle designs that give no advantage in space utilisation.  I believe some big Audi hybrids are actually lugging around a 1/4 ton of motors and batteries when in ICE mode. What a nonsense. Minimal electric range combined with **** poor ICE performance.

Where we’re gonna find the charging power is anyone’s guess.

• Haha 1

@BoxerBoyThe charging power is being produced all around where you live and needs people to use it and places for it to be stored as electricity in Batteries or converted to hydrogen. 

They want to take the gas out the ground from near where you live for the Cracking Plant at Grangemouth so that they do not need to ship so much in from the USA.

Maybe you notice how much electricity is generated from Oil & Gas at Grangemouth to be able to run the refinery.

Grannies trundle about in Smart Cars, Renault Twingo's, MX3's, GT86 / BRZ.s and BMW's with RWD just fine as they will in a electric Smart, TESLA, Honda-e, VW ID.3 / 4 / Enyaq etc.

Scotland has plenty Grannies in their 40's that can drive perfectly well in winter the same as older ones, or even Grandads.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 13:41, Masternet said:

Hi, 

I just have got my Enyaq, feel free to ask.

Enyaq.jpg

oooohh

I want to swap my Tesla Model 3 for an Enyaq so I am reall interested in this. What is the economy like in the winter?  I once drove my Skoda Favorit to Mlada Boleslav from Scotland so maybe I can repeat that in an Enyaq one day. I have friends in Podebrady so want to go and see them some time!

Interested to hear al about your enyaq @Masternet

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 21:13, BoxerBoy said:

It’s a long time since many of us drove RWD and the experience wasn’t always positive, in winter especially.

I think it’s generally accepted that FWD is inherently “safer” fir most of the people most of the time.

We don’t all want to drive The Ultimate Driving Machine all year round. Especially granny, who just wants to trundle here and there.

So - I don’t envisage buying an RWD leccy car.

But I will seriously consider a small leccy car to replace her Polo in a few years. The VW ID2 will be top of the test drive list.

A hybrid is out of the question. The ****** child product of a liaison between an ICE and a leccy. As are the IC cars currently (pun) rushed into production to prop up the manufacturers emissions figures.

Also ******ised ICE vehicle designs that give no advantage in space utilisation.  I believe some big Audi hybrids are actually lugging around a 1/4 ton of motors and batteries when in ICE mode. What a nonsense. Minimal electric range combined with **** poor ICE performance.

Where we’re gonna find the charging power is anyone’s guess.

I am currently in a RWD tesla, and we've had snow on the ground more or less every day since December 27th and so far it is no worse in the white stuff than my octavia was on summere tyres. Of course it would be better with winter rubber but I'm so fed up with Telsa that I plan to swap it for an Enyaq later this year so I'm not buying winter tyres for a car I plan to sell

• Like 3

On 20/01/2021 at 17:46, domhnall said:

I am currently in a RWD tesla, and we've had snow on the ground more or less every day since December 27th and so far it is no worse in the white stuff than my octavia was on summere tyres. Of course it would be better with winter rubber but I'm so fed up with Telsa that I plan to swap it for an Enyaq later this year so I'm not buying winter tyres for a car I plan to sell

Interested why you are fed up with the Telsa?

I  am following closely some EV forums and the Telsa seems to be getting things right. The charging infrastructure a key selling point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Where there are no TESLA Superchargers in Scotland  or where there are and it is not Free Charging for the car bought or leased the Tesla are sitting on public chargers get charged for quite some time.  Just like other makes it is for quite some time they are left charger blocking if the driver just bogs off without giving thought to other EV drivers.  

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 07:49, MJ1 said:

Interested why you are fed up with the Telsa?

I  am following closely some EV forums and the Telsa seems to be getting things right. The charging infrastructure a key selling point.

really poor build quality, software is bug ridden (auto wipers that don't work so you have to continually press a button to wipe every 2 seconds, auto high beam that dazzles all the time so you have to disable), 2019 maps (can't use google maps or waze), no smart phone integration, poor voice commands, sat nav that routes you very odd ways and often to wrong destination. 

Tesla looks great and is very efficient but doesn't do the basics well at all. 

As George has said not too many tesla chargers up this way and none at all i nNorthern Ireland where I go reasonably regularly, so in a Tesla I use the same chargers as every other EV out there.  If I were doign long distance motorway drives in England Tesla would make more sense, but I don't do that very often. If I visit England I take a plane usually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your perspective, I have seen some comments on an EV forum about Telsa hogging charging stations, I guess the bigger the battery the longer it takes to charge on the slower speed charging stations.

It seems the charging network is just not quite there yet. Ok if you can charge from home and don't need to rely on charging to get home.

Good to know the Telsa flaws...

On 20/01/2021 at 18:44, domhnall said:

oooohh

I want to swap my Tesla Model 3 for an Enyaq so I am reall interested in this. What is the economy like in the winter?  I once drove my Skoda Favorit to Mlada Boleslav from Scotland so maybe I can repeat that in an Enyaq one day. I have friends in Podebrady so want to go and see them some time!

Interested to hear al about your enyaq @Masternet

Hi, 

I would say it really depends on the conditions:

• Is the car pre-heated?
  • Are driving on the snow?
  • What is the outside temperature?

This tool may help, unfortunately just in German:

https://efahrer.chip.de/elektroautos/skoda-enyaq-iv-80-2021_20365

I would also want to drive from Mlada Boleslav to Scotland, currently impossible due to covid :-(

I have also compared enyaq and octavia on the snow - Enyaq feels much more safe, Octavia is more funny.

On 26/01/2021 at 09:13, Masternet said:

Hi, 

• Is the car pre-heated?

I would also want to drive from Mlada Boleslav to Scotland, currently impossible due to covid :-(

I have also compared enyaq and octavia on the snow - Enyaq feels much more safe, Octavia is more funny.

that's OK I can speak German ;-)  

due to covid I'm not allowed to leave my home and garden other than for an essential purpose so a trip to Mlada Boleslav is not an option. I did drive my 1993 Favorit there though. The guys in the museum were astonished to see a right hand drive favorit visiting 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 09:13, Masternet said:

Hi, 

• Is the car pre-heated?

that's all based on manufacturer info which as we all know in any car is not related to real life. What sort of energy consumption are you seeing right now (and in what sort of driving and weather conditions?).  I am trying to work out whether the 60 kWh is enough or whether I need the 80. My tesla is a 47 kWh battery but it is very efficient so I am wondering whether the 60 would be roughly the same capability as my current car. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 17:51, MJ1 said:

Thanks for your perspective, I have seen some comments on an EV forum about Telsa hogging charging stations, I guess the bigger the battery the longer it takes to charge on the slower speed charging stations.

It seems the charging network is just not quite there yet. Ok if you can charge from home and don't need to rely on charging to get home.

Good to know the Telsa flaws...

charging network is perfectly adequate right now, it is just that people are lacking in basic education and consideration for other drivers.

For example the petrol network in this country would be said to be inadequate if people parked at petrol pumps and then went off into town for the day or pushed off for a long walk and came back hours later. My nearest rapid charger (which the Tesla refuses to charge on)  has a 1 hour max time limit on it like all the Scottish Government chargers. And yet regularly a VW E Golf is left plugged in and blocking the charger for over 10 hours. The driver plugs in, goes home for the night and then collects the car in the morning.

It's just inconsiderate usage and is the biggest issue we are seeing people engage in with electric chargers. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, domhnall said:

charging network is perfectly adequate right now, it is just that people are lacking in basic education and consideration for other drivers.

For example the petrol network in this country would be said to be inadequate if people parked at petrol pumps and then went off into town for the day or pushed off for a long walk and came back hours later. My nearest rapid charger (which the Tesla refuses to charge on)  has a 1 hour max time limit on it like all the Scottish Government chargers. And yet regularly a VW E Golf is left plugged in and blocking the charger for over 10 hours. The driver plugs in, goes home for the night and then collects the car in the morning.

It's just inconsiderate usage and is the biggest issue we are seeing people engage in with electric chargers. 

If you were needing it to get topped up to get home I would be incandescent.

I often wonder if there is any hope for humanity based upon some of our behaviour. We had snow here the last few days and some folk built fantastic snow men / creatures, yet over night some sods decided to destroy them. Idiots.

Items like charger blockin are dissuading me from making the leap for me. There will always be a percentage of humanity that don't give a toss for anyone else....

If you can isolate from the need to use public charging, i.e my wife's run around if we can sort out a home charger it might make sense. The downside is the car cost is slightly too expensive at the moment but edging closer to acceptable just...

Thanks for giving me further insights to the real world EV issues. Lockdown is giving me time to see what our next car move will be.

Last week i asked a driver of a e-Golf if she wanted to use the Rapid charger as i was just topping up while killing time and could unplug.

She said she uses the fast charger in the next bay as it would put in a 100% charge but on the Rapid / 50kW charger the car stopped charging at 90%.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 12:35, MJ1 said:

I often wonder if there is any hope for humanity based upon some of our behaviour. We had snow here the last few days and some folk built fantastic snow men / creatures, yet over night some sods decided to destroy them. Idiots.

Items like charger blockin are dissuading me from making the leap for me. There will always be a percentage of humanity that don't give a toss for anyone else....

If you can isolate from the need to use public charging, i.e my wife's run around if we can sort out a home charger it might make sense. The downside is the car cost is slightly too expensive at the moment but edging closer to acceptable just...

Thanks for giving me further insights to the real world EV issues. Lockdown is giving me time to see what our next car move will be.

oh there is no way I would ever buy another petrol or diesel car, they're so slow and unrefined and frankly less fun to drive.  ANd you have the significant cost of driving a fossil car too, higher tax, extortionate fuel and expensive servicing and maintenance.  No, not for me thanks. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Despite buying the current superb in '19, KI am really. thinking of swapping. Partly as it's not doing anything and I'm certain once I can get out and enjoy the drive to pastures afar I'll fall back in love again. 

A electric compact car would suit me perfectly, then a tranny van for fun further afield. I almost did the tranny van, but opted for the superb for a stint, then go full mobile hobo.

• Like 1

When the car is perfectly weight balanced (as all MEB platforms are) rear wheel drive is extremely good during winter and much better than a fwd. I currently drive an ID.3 Max and it´s very good in slippery conditions and when there is a lot of snow. However you need premium nordic winter tires here in Scandinavia (I run Pirelli Ice Zero 225/40R19)) and not the all-season garbage people buy in the south of Europe.

Btw the Enyaq does not look good in real life (and I am a BIG Skoda fan). Interior is good though. 

Edited by BGB
Typo

15 hours ago, BGB said:

When the car is perfectly weight balanced (as all MEB platforms are) rear wheel drive is extremely good during winter and much better than a fwd. I currently drive an ID.3 Max and it´s very good in slippery conditions and when there is a lot of snow. However you need premium nordic winter tires here in Scandinavia (I run Pirelli Ice Zero 225/40R19)) and not the all-season garbage people buy in the south of Europe.

Btw the Enyaq does not look good in real life (and I am a BIG Skoda fan). Interior is good though. 

have you seen one? where? it looks pretty much like most other Skoda SUV to my eyes

4 minutes ago, domhnall said:

have you seen one? where? it looks pretty much like most other Skoda SUV to my eyes

I work at an official Audi/VW/Skoda dealership. We currently have one in the Skoda showroom. The front isn't that bad but I don't like the rear end for some reason. I will be ordering the ID.4 when the 4x4 is ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO looks come very far down the list of important things that might have someone buying a Skoda over another model from a VW Group brand or any other manufacturer.

Most important to many will be the build quality, and reliability / longevity of the hardware and the efficiency of the vehicle.

Software that is actually tried and tested and the features in the vehicle actually working straight from the delivery and the employees in a dealership knowing what they are.

Bling and plastic chrome and trinkets should not take priority over the function of the hardware and software.

'Simply clever' is heating and demisting that works. Door and hatch seal that seal,

charging port flaps that do not freeze closed. Tyre sizes readily available and dealerships that know what the vehicles are and how to service them or diagnose issues and tell Skoda of any and Skoda be quick to address them.

Lets hope when it rain that the H20 does not run into the cabin off the roof if the doors are opened and if it is wet or damp and then freezes outside the doors do not freeze closed if the vehicle is not pre-heating the interior.

PS

Lets hope the drivers controls suit the car being right hand drive and delivered to right hand drive countries.

PPS

If you need to add aftermarket wind deflectors to a EV to be able to sit in the car in adverse weather and no water or snow come in be that on your own or with passenger human or animal and charging and the interior glass not steam up if the car is on or not on then really the designers and engineers have a 'Fail'. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

A 'simply clever' move is to fit Alloys / Diamond cut 'look' alloys that are not actually diamond cut and maybe even have plastic inserts that do not corrode / get white spider. 

Aero wheels because it is an EV but with tyres with a bit of sideways where the rubber is giving some protection so that means the first error parking does not mean scored rims.

eg

DSCN5605.JPG

DSCN5600.JPG

DSCN5602.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 27/01/2021 at 12:35, MJ1 said:

This is where I am in the thought process.  In a couple of years I’ll be looking at little cars, designed properly from the ground up.

I can see from my records that car No.2 lives a short journey life, except when I consciously choose to enjoy it on a long trip. So I can see a future where it would stick to short hops only.

But they’re soooo expensive.

I recently played on the VW page and their own analyser tool compared an ID3 with a Golf and decided “the Golf will be much cheaper for you over 3 years”. No surprise there.

• Thanks 1