Car Service Friday - Not sure I want it misted

O3 is in for it's first MOT and Final Service under warranty on Friday and I've asked them to change the Off Side Headlamp under warranty due to excessive water misting.

They have now released a video of how they mist clean the cars after work (Covid-19 precautions) and I'm not sure that I want it done, I've asked if they can wipe down with soap and I'll use gloves and leave it 72 hours before driving again once it get it home:

Misting.

Thoughts

Do not put the car in then. 

The MOT is not necessary right now, and the headlight can be done later since already reported.

But it is just a car and has to stand up to use by people and environmental conditions inside and out with normal use.

There is as much chance of them actually doing that (except if you are standing over them the whole time) as there is of them doing all the checks they are supposed to do in the service.

They will however tell you that your front and rear brakes are 75% worn and that your aircon needs a service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

What’s your concerns re. the misting?

Not sure if there would be any long term material issues, is the interior designed to have mist sprayed about, switch contacts, material finishes etc.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

There is as much chance of them actually doing that (except if you are standing over them the whole time) as there is of them doing all the checks they are supposed to do in the service.

They will however tell you that your front and rear brakes are 75% worn and that your aircon needs a service.

yep, still remember a dealer saying my front discs were 80% worn, I refused to have them changed and got an extra 30k miles out of them.. when I eventually took them off I measured them myself and they were 70% worn.......

• Like 1

My chauffeur pal who sold me my MK1 Octavia had to have the servicing done by the main dealer to keep the extended warranty (15 years ago, things may have changed since) not wanting them to do any more than the oil & filter changes he replaced the front brake pads the night before putting it in for service.

You can guess the rest I dont even need to write it, of course he kicked off and they asked him how many mile he had done since they were replaced, he said 1/2 a mile :D

Receptionist took one look and rolled his eyes, my friend was fuming and demanding the mechanic be sacked but as I tried to reason with him he would have had nothing to do with it, it was simply a line added to all the invoices to make money like "environmental disposal of old fluids", "top up washer fluid" etc etc and no doubt now "CV19 sanitise vehicle before and after service".

Edited by J.R.

If the misting is going to mess up interiors long term or in the short term then there will be hundreds or thousands of cars that way, 

new cars at hand over, demonstrators, used cars etc.

This is what they need to do to open up Dealerships, let people test drive cars, collect cars, get hire cars / courtesy cars and new cars dropped off at your home.

Interesting video. Its probably an isopropyl /alcohol based product to evaporate rapidly and leave no residue.  When I was working as a food and water Microbiologist  we used 70% ethanol to sterlise everything to prevent cross contamination and to stop us picking up bugs. If you can name any bug that gives you an upset tummy I worked with live cultures of them. E.coli and Salmonella to name a few.  It evaporated in front of your eyes as wiping the surfaces of the laboratory. COVID -19 is known to be destroyed by alcohol as it damages the structural wall of the virus. 

Do you touch food in wrappers from a shop then go home and wash you hands. The techs will wear gloves. How much are they going to actually touch on the car. Door handle, steering wheel, contols seat slides seat belts. Misting looks like a good plan as it can wet to kill any virus's but evaporate quick enough to not damage the car. I wouldn't have an issue with it personally. 

I had my Mot done on the 28th March in lock down. Imagine how many will suddenly be due again at the end of the extension!   My garage had had at least 10 NHS (applause) workers cars in before me. I wiped my car on arrival. He wore gloves and changed them between cars and wiped car down before I collected it. No issues with that just sensible precautions all round. 

• Like 1

My GTI had it's first service yesterday and was 'sanitised' internally.  No idea if that meant misting, wiping down or running it through a sheep dip.  There was a mild aroma inside the car when I picked it up, not at all pungent or unpleasant, and didn't last long.  No visible signs in the car that I could see (I'd cleaned it thoroughly the previous day).

Gaz

• Like 1