Selling a car to trade during Covid-19

I've just taken delivery of a lease car and now need to sell my own car. The insurance runs out on the 6th June and I'd rather not pay for another year.

I'm thinking of selling to the trade as I really don't want to be dealing with tyre kickers and time wasters, especially given the current Covid-19 situation

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've done a bit of research and it looks like the dealers are looking to give me about 70% of what I'd think they'd be selling it on for - does a 30% markup sound fair on a 5 year old Citigo?

Another option would be the 'we buy any car' type of 'trade in' websites. All depends on what you think the car is worth and what they offer you.

6 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Traders / Dealers pay tax on the profits, so what ever they do in the way of a mark up is their business.

Worth advertising on a enthusiasts forum, a Skoda one even, like BRISKODA.

I have considered advertising on Briskoda - however not sure it would be legal to sell the car privately during current restrictions,

9 minutes ago, greenstripe said:

I have considered advertising on Briskoda - however not sure it would be legal to sell the car privately during current restrictions,

If you search car sales sites most offer a delivery service to overcome the current restrictions it maybe pushing the odds a tad but any potential viewer could be driving to ‘ walk ‘ around a car 

check out the likes of eBay cars for sale are being added daily common deduction indicates some must sell

adverts could read ‘ social distancing restrictions will be adhered to ‘ issue would be a test drive of course 

imho selling to the trade will be fraught price wise they are likely to have long standing stock already and will be fully aware of issues sellers will be facing currently hence purchases prices paid by them will be deflated accordingly

if if I was in your situation I’d advertise as a private sale in line with ‘ trade ‘ value price, hope someone is looking for a bargain or find suitable storage and sorn the car whilst current restrictions are in place  

• Like 1

Most car buyer sites are refusing to give any valuations (WBAC) and another; as they have temporarily stopped buying, that’s the message I have had on some trade enquires.

TBH you need to try and sell privately as most dealers I know are not buying anything in as they have so much existing stock with us potentially about to go into the biggest recession ever, can you blame them.

Get on autotrader and use the free car valuation service and as said above stick it up around the trade value or higher and see how you get on.

TBH I wouldn’t worry about what they might sell it for, as they are in business to make money; best bet is make sure if you do get any offers that your happy with the price etc.

Edited by Defenderben
Added a bit more

To be honest I really could do with getting rid of the car sooner rather than later. I'm prepared to take a bit of a hit but I don't want to get ripped off. I have a had a few traders interested in the car. The only reason I'm thinking about dealer margins is I'm trying to work back to what I should be realistically expecting.

9 minutes ago, greenstripe said:

To be honest I really could do with getting rid of the car sooner rather than later. I'm prepared to take a bit of a hit but I don't want to get ripped off. I have a had a few traders interested in the car. The only reason I'm thinking about dealer margins is I'm trying to work back to what I should be realistically expecting.

As said go on autotrader and do the free valuation, it gives you a good idea on the trade & private values you should be looking at TBH, I have found it very accurate against asking prices from dealers and private sales.

Good luck sounds like a nice car being an Elegance...my wife has the original Citigo 2012 SE model but with less than 18k miles, great little cars. Shouldn’t have any issues selling a little car like that.

Thanks for all the replies -I did check Auto trader but couldn't see anything comparable onthere at anything remotely near the suggested price that they came up with, everything similar was advertised a lot lower.

I've now sold the car using a site called Wizzle where you advertise the car and trade dealers bid for it. 

I bought the car (64 plate Citigo Elegance with sunroof and tech pack with dual height boot floor) from a Skoda dealer as approved used exactly 2 years ago for £5200 - on 18,500 miles.

sold £3700 30,250 miles

Yes I could have sold privately for perhaps £4000/£4200

The process was pretty easy -did a bit of haggling on the phone yesterday, but stuck to my guns and they came and collected the car today and did a bank transfer there and then and didn't try to knock me down once they'd seen the car

• Thanks 1