Extended Warranty

Just had an email from Skoda inviting me to take an extended warranty with them, at a cost of around £260 for 12 months of cover. In the past, I wouldn't have bothered, but cars are so complicated now any failure could cost £££s, for example a failed LED headlight. 

However, looking at the policy document has put me off. Doesn't the wording mean they can worm out of anything, citing wear and tear as the reason for sudden failure?

"We will not pay for failure caused by deterioration of a covered component commensurate with its age and mileage."

"We will not pay for any costs of repair or replacement of any components where the sudden failure is as result of wear and tear."

Hmmm. 

In my experience manufacturers warranties are the ones to have and I have had plenty of repairs over the years with no questions asked. Even had a slightly leaking shock absorber replaced which was on a 9 year old car which I thought would be rejected on the wear and tear clause. But there are parts which are designed to wear over the lifetime and I don't think any warranty would cover them.

One point is that if you are just coming out of manufacturers warranty the offer they make for the extended is lower than you can get if you decide to take it later i.e. with a gap in cover. This is my experience, the figure to put my car back onto to warranty is not financially viable.

Yes thats right, The extended warranties are underwritten by a third party but sold by Skoda. The dealers are very well versed in dealing with them. My general experience had been good over the years, others might have a different opinion. 

Id go for it, mine had engine failure 36 days out of warranty. Skoda ended up covering 90% but it still cost me double the price of the insurance you are being offered. 

• Like 1

There are two sorts of extended warranties that Skoda sell: The first is specified when the car is ordered and is effectively an extension of the manufacturer's warranty. The second is obtained later, is underwritten by a third party and has lots of additional limitations.  It's obviously too late in this case, but if you're ever ordering a new Skoda and want the extended warranty, do it then.

2 hours ago, Rodge said:

There are two sorts of extended warranties that Skoda sell: The first is specified when the car is ordered and is effectively an extension of the manufacturer's warranty. The second is obtained later, is underwritten by a third party and has lots of additional limitations.  It's obviously too late in this case, but if you're ever ordering a new Skoda and want the extended warranty, do it then.

That reminds me of people who love to quote KIA's unbeatable 7 year warranty. As ever read the small print because even if you do buy an extended warranty at time of purchase, what does it actually cover? Forget the headlines, it's the small print you need to read.

The best example of this is from Kia's unbeatable 7yr warranty ( which nobody seems to read ). Here's an extract from that:

"The original audio and navigation units are covered for 36 months or 60,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever comes first"

So in reality, whilst people think the infotainment on a KIA will be valid for 7yr, the truth is their warranty is no better than Skoda's.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Rodge said:

Thanks for the information, it may be useful in the future. 

Do shop around. You can often find the same warranty elsewhere for less.

Deprive the dealer of a wad of commission, because they get a nice incentive commission from selling it.

It could be interesting whether the car industry could be taken to court for misselling them, along the lines of PPI.

Anyone with a legal training maybe able to check on this.

27 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Do shop around. You can often find the same warranty elsewhere for less.

Deprive the dealer of a wad of commission, because they get a nice incentive commission from selling it.

It could be interesting whether the car industry could be taken to court for misselling them, along the lines of PPI.

Anyone with a legal training maybe able to check on this.

Anyone with legal training would ask you to read the small print.  So who is misselling? The warranty document is available for all to see on Skodas website. They're being quite clear about it.

I'm in the exact same position - car is now 1week out of warranty and I have another 3 weeks to decide if I want to take Skodas offer of extending it. For me, their warranty works out much cheaper than anyone else ( approx £180 ) and it appears more comprehensive so it's a no brainer if I want the car covered. My issue is do I want the car covered? If I was 100% certain I was going to keep the car for the next 6 months or longer then I'll buy their warranty.

What does the original 4r warranty cover that this extended warranty doesn't?  I'm not quite sure to be honest. Their extended warranty seems comprehensive enough to me.

Edited by Guest

A Skoda Extended Warranty can be bought when you want after the Manufacturers Warranty Expires and if Dealership staff know their business they can sell you it and get commission. 

I have had a member of staff come in from holiday to sell me one as it is worth their while.

There can be better prices for the same cover as the 'Offer you get from Skoda through the post'.

https://www.insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty/

Read T&C's,

See the Business / Commercial use, modifications and known issue stuff if there is any.

There used to be with the old 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' from Car Care ltd, 

but you never got to read that till the Policy arrived, 

Sad if you are sold a Warranty and then you are told to bog off as a 'known issue', so obviously known to those that are selling the extended warranty.  VW Group own the Underwriters.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440772-nightmare-fabia-vrs-engine-replacement-needed

Now anything in Exclusions is there to read and digest.

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.54.37.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.53.19.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.53.53.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 15.07.40.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Very helpful, thank you. I've just got back from collecting the car from the dealer after service etc. I asked them but then they said they didn't get involved in selling them anymore and to go online..... which is what I shall do!

I have the Skoda all component insurance, paid for itself to the tune of turbo replacements caused by the actuator rod seizing, two claims paid for by the insurance. Must be a couple of grand at least. If your buying from a Skoda dealer taking out Skoda insurance then you will usually have less problems with possibly warranty claims, Gestures of Goodwill towards a customer still exists.

I did ask for quotes from two other extended warranty insurers, both were slightly cheaper, another I tried would not insure as I had 'modified' my car from original spec, I have fitted a dashcam which it seems is a no-no!

2 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Sad if you are sold a Warranty

They only sell warranties to mugs, the rest of us buy them.

It's ALWAYS someone elses fault.

Edited by Guest

@Scot5   Quote the whole line as in the post and do not be selective in the part you do. 

"Sad if you are sold a Warranty and then you are told to bog off as a 'known issue', so obviously known to those that are selling the extended warranty. VW Group own the underwriters."

& Sorry you lost me there.  (Must be your Trump moment.)

Someone sells something to the person buying it from them.

Did the person in the nightmare thread do something wrong buying a car and buying a warranty and getting mugged off?

He is not the only member on this forum or that have bought a Warranty and been treated that way.

?

Are you being smart again and trying to take the Michael?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440772-nightmare-fabia-vrs-engine-replacement-needed

12 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Scot5

Sorry you lost me there. 

Did the person in the nightmare thread do something wrong buying a car and buying a warranty and getting mugged off?

?

Are you being smart again and trying to take the Michael?

Oh I read it... 

Correct me if I have this wrong.  Posted 2017, the guy buys a car 60 reg 3 months previous. That means he's taken out a warranty on a 7 year old car with approx 74k miles on the clock?  Alarm bells should have started there and then.

Warranty will not pay out because they believe there is an existing fault.  Well if the car was only 3mth old and we have a the warranty team claiming the car already had an existing fault ( which at 7yr old and 74k would be hard to argue against unless it had undergone a full health check prior to sale - I'm going to make another assumption at this age / miles it wasn't approved used ), then the solution is simple - the legal case is against the seller.

What's warranty got to do with it, it was covered by sale of goods act.

Edited by Guest

People have taken out warranties on newer ones and been told that their claim was invalid.

The people accepting the payment for the warranty know the cars age and miles.

If there is fraud on the party of the policy purchased then that is rather different.

So buyer beware, but @Scot5  you will never be caught out because you are an armchair expert on T&C's and warranties.

PS

On the older cars when it was the 1 or 2 Year Skoda Approved Warranty that was available the car had to have an inspection before you were able to purchase it. That was on cars under 10 years old.

Plenty have tried being smart over the years and bought a duff vehicle then bought the Warranty and some got away with it and others were stuffed.

Something regular tried with 1.4tsi Twinchargers and cars with DQ200 DSG's

The warranties kept on being sold and you can buy one today for a Mk2 Fabia vRS.

The Warranties are sold on these vehicles that had many failures since 2010 because Skoda / VW, SEAT, Audi never admitted to issues and never did recalls so

refusing to sell a warranty would lead to some asking 'why not?'

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/446957-extended-warranty-worth-it

@Scot5

Remember this?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/463224-extended-warranty-worth-it-i-think-so