DSG noise

J500ANT

I'm delighted with my new Kamiq - a 1.0 SEL DSG - my first Skoda after many SEATs, and so i'm used to cars with DSG gearboxes. However i'm actually hearing the gearbox on this one, on overrun I can hear a whine, and can often hear it changing gear when i'm at lower speeds. I don't recall ever being able to hear the DSG on my 4 previous Leons (diesel and petrol). 

Before I book it in, does anyone else hear their DSG gearbox doing its stuff?

@J500ANT Welcome to the forum.

Best try another the same as yours and compare.

Really you should not be hearing a whine or much in the way of changing gear.

Where any of your previous DSG's DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch ones.  Not that that mean hearing noises is OK, but they are different from a Wet Clutch DSG, 

& then you are now in a 3 cylinder car which again is different.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

@J500ANT Welcome to the forum.

Best try another the same as yours and compare.

Really you should not be hearing a whine or much in the way of changing gear.

Where any of your previous DSG's DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch ones.  Not that that mean hearing noises is OK, but they are different from a Wet Clutch DSG, 

& then you are now in a 3 cylinder car which again is different.

I don't recall the demo car i drove making any gearbox noises, my Leons were all 7spd 3x 1.6tdi and 1x 1.2tsi. You'd never hear anything over the diesel engine noise but the 1.2 was super quiet. I guess I'll have to try and get another drive in a demonstrator and see how that is. 

• Thanks 1

I was told by dealre's technician that is a normal sound caused by the fact that DSG has engaged at the same time more gears than the running one so to be prepared for the next shift up or down depending on driver's nect move. Even if all DSGs operate on the same way this noise is heard on some models.

BTW which DSG type is on kamiq (TDI 1.6) ???

Welcome to the forum.

A 1.6TDI has a DQ200 DSG just the same.

Software different.

Those with non noisy DQ200 DSG's are surely feeling cheated if the Dealers Technician was telling the truth. 

Not that he or she was.  

They have been producing DQ200 DSG's for over a decade and it is unbelievable the carp spoken by Dealership Employees or Customer Services Staff.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.3018b3fb6b1f089246c59c5ebe4fe740.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

3 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Welcome to the forum.

A 1.6TDI has a DQ200 DSG just the same.

Those with non noisy DQ200 DSG's are surely feeling cheated if the Dealers Technician was telling the truth. 

Not that he or she was.  

They have been producing DQ200 DSG's for over a decade and it is unbelievable the carp spoken by Dealership Employees or Customer Services Staff.

DQ200 is a dry clutch. Does this mean that there is no oil change in the service schedule cause i was also told (by the same technician) that it's  only required an oil change every 60000km

• Like 1

So they were talking rubbish.

The DQ200 has 2 oils, in the Box and in the MCU.   There is no Service Schedule / Guidelines for changing the Oil and never has been.

(There was a World Wide Recall 2012/13 and Service Campaign in Europe 2014 to change the Factory Synthetic Oil to Mineral.)

So no oil changes.

VW / Skoda are dropping 1.0 TSI / 1.5 TSI FWD's with DQ200 DSG's soon and what you will get is just Mild Hybrids with the e-DQ200, 

cars start moving on electric.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 09.55.50.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Thanks 1

Now on my 3rd DSG but first Skoda.  I am not aware of any noise from the drive train and do not notice the gear changes happening.  When I had the Tiguan 150 ps with wet clutches, I was initially aware of the gear change but that changed over time.

I had 2 dsg boxes changed in my 1.2 Yeti they got it sorted in the end
I have had 3 mk3 Fabia’s in the family with dsg boxes all faultless and quiet

I now have a Scala 1.0 SEL with a dsg box with 6K miles faultless box and quiet

If not happy throw it back at them as in my experience they are one of the quietest automatics around.

6 months in still being plagued with continual requests for software updates when the control unit says it is up to date argggggh

I had a DSG that when in the surprisingly hilly Isle of Wight on a very hot summer the box started to squeal on take off. It sounded very like a clutch release bearing problem to me common in the old days from resting a foot on the clutch. Back in flat Essex it went away. A mechanic actually showed me a bearing and it looked like a sintered metal pre-oiled device and I wonder if it ran a bit dry for a time.

Edited by Skodbuster
Isle of White
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am now the proud owner of a Kamiq 1.0tsi SE DSG.  I’ve owned 3 previous Audi’s, all of which have had the Stronic automatic gearbox.  The Kamiq box is every bit as good as  the Audi’s and have no complaints whatsoever.  It’s quiet, smooth through the gears and I cannot really fault it.  

Apparently there's a known issues with low speed hard steering noise - Skoda say its the rubber of the CV boots rubbing against itself. 

And they tell me my gearbox is fine.

Can anyone tell me if they are able to disconnect the Skoda Connect while at the dealer, as there's no drive activity listed between me taking it in and collecting it 1🤔🤔🤔

• 5 months later...

You know it is a DQ200 if the car is from 2009-2021 and FWD with a 180ps engine or less with 250Nm or less.

So those are 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5 or some 1.8TSI's and a 1.4 or 1.6 TDI CR. 

( Citigo gets a ASG not a DSG)

With the Wet Clutch DSG's and 2.0 TSI / 2.0 TDI's you need to check which it is.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 11:47, e-Roottoot said:

You know it is a DQ200 if the car is from 2009-2021 and FWD with a 180ps engine or less with 250Nm or less.

With the Wet Clutch DSG's and 2.0 TSI / 2.0 TDI's you need to check which it is.

Kodiaq is the exception I believe. Later FWD 150PS 1.5's get DQ381

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/03/2021 at 14:47, e-Roottoot said:

I have 2020 1.0 kamiq, so this one have a dq200. Am i correct sir?

And what is the chances for it to break down? I mean does it have chronical problems? Is there a something i should be carefull about specifically?

I was searching for which type dsg i have, and kind a scared if i have the bad one.

Welcome to the forum.  Enjoy the car.

Most scare stories / posts you read will be by me.

But,

The chance of issues with the DQ200 DSG & a 1.0tsi is very very low.

It is a very good combination.   Do not let any Dealership Employees tell you the DSG needs servicing. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

Although officially the oils don't have a service schedule as with any oil they do degrade over time and do pick up contaminants. So I would still suggest a change at some point.

But with a 2020 car you don't need to worry.

I just changed the oils in my DQ200 from 2012 with 117,000km. They were a little dirty but I've seen worse come out of manual gearboxes with fewer miles on them!