Evergreen Dynacontrol EU728

chris-t

Hi all

My car had an MOT today and failed on tyre side wall damage, my wife spoke to the garage who said that they had in stock and would fit the same tyre as what was on. I have been running Michelin CrossClimate tyres for a good few years and are happy with them. 

When I got home from work I had a look and found that they had fitted a Evergreen Dynacontrol EU728, which considering my wife was told that it was the same make, proves that she was lied to. 

Is it worth complaining or is the tyre good enough to just forget about it?

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Cheeky barstewards.  Best buy a new pair of CrossClimates, and put one off the car as a spare  and get a refund from the chancers.

?

How worn are the 3 tyres still on the car?

http://tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Evergreen/Dynacontrol-EU728.htm

The other 3 are fine, it only needed a new one as there was a gash in the sidewall and it failed the MOT

Complain, get them to get the correct cross climate in and expect them to swap them, as they said matching tyre

Apart from anything else, the others are all seasons, the EU728 is a summer tyre (they make an all season, its EU719)

Evergreen are a budget tyre made in China by Shangdong Jinyu Tire Co

I would look at your invoice, how much did they charge, depending on size the crossclimates could be £90 upto about £160 so you might have to pay the difference from the budget summer tyre they fitted

Guest BigJase88

yeah you are now running 3x all seasons and 1x summer tyre

the cross climates are directional and at a guess i would say the new budget summer would be an asymmetric tyre

different tyres should not share the same axle

worth getting 2 new cross climates if thats what you want and keep spare used cross climate

Edited by BigJase88

On 16/09/2020 at 15:57, SurreyJohn said:

Complain, get them to get the correct cross climate in and expect them to swap them, as they said matching tyre

Apart from anything else, the others are all seasons, the EU728 is a summer tyre (they make an all season, its EU719)

Evergreen are a budget tyre made in China by Shangdong Jinyu Tire Co

I would look at your invoice, how much did they charge, depending on size the crossclimates could be £90 upto about £160 so you might have to pay the difference from the budget summer tyre they fitted

I tried to complain, I'll explain how that went at the bottom. The invoice just says MOT, TYRE CHANGE AND FIT NEW O/S/F ROAD SPRING (he changed just one, but thats another story) £280. No itemized bill or how much VAT I paid......

On 17/09/2020 at 11:13, BigJase88 said:

yeah you are now running 3x all seasons and 1x summer tyre

the cross climates are directional and at a guess i would say the new budget summer would be an asymmetric tyre

different tyres should not share the same axle

worth getting 2 new cross climates if thats what you want and keep spare used cross climate

You are correct, the Cross Climates are directional and the evergreen is asymmetrical. 

So, I phoned up the garage the day after (Wednesday) and tired to talk to the owner (he's a one man band sort of place), when he was doing the work he spoke to my wife who has zero technical knowledge and he in essence told her that the evergreen was the same as the cross climates. He shouted at me down the phone, said he'd done exactly what he was asked, accused my wife of lying and the hung up. Refused to answer anymore calls.  

I've since taken the car to am Halfords Autocentre (I know they have a reputation but) and got a new cross climate fitted and we've kept the evergreen. As I don't know how much he charged for the tyre, I'm not sure how much out of pocket I am. I've spoken to a local breakers yard who'll buy the tyre off me as it's virtually brand new (It's done about 2 miles) but I won't know how much for until I turn up with it. 

Moral of the story, even 2 recommendations from 2 good friends and lots of positive Google reviews can't make you immune from a dodgy garage run buy a dodgy bloke.

• Like 2

Guest BigJase88

What size is the tyre?

probs get £30-50 dependant on what size it is. The man at the garage doesn’t really know what he is on about does he.

when i go to my local tyre place i have to get tyres in as all they sell are budget rubbish. The best they will have is a kumho or on the odd day maybe a yokohama.

most people fit the worst tyres to cars. Personally i fit the best as that is all that touches the road

really annoys me when looking at garages and you have BMW M5’s etc sitting with some Chinese muck tyres on. Most of the time it is the garage that has fitted them.

Wow what an amazing guy to deal with. As Jase said I try to fit the best tyres I can  as that it the only think holding you to the road. Tried to convince my brother with his 4x4 xtrail but he still think 4x4 will save him in a bind. 

Good to hear you have sorted it. Maybe a knock on his door to ask in person (at a distance) just so you can get an idea of what he thinks the bill says. Never came across a garage that doesn't itemise their paperwork.

1 hour ago, BigJase88 said:

What size is the tyre?

probs get £30-50 dependant on what size it is. The man at the garage doesn’t really know what he is on about does he.

when i go to my local tyre place i have to get tyres in as all they sell are budget rubbish. The best they will have is a kumho or on the odd day maybe a yokohama.

most people fit the worst tyres to cars. Personally i fit the best as that is all that touches the road

really annoys me when looking at garages and you have BMW M5’s etc sitting with some Chinese muck tyres on. Most of the time it is the garage that has fitted them.

It's a 225/40 18.

When the wife spoke to him, she did express surprise that he had one in stock as everywhere we've ever asked for them to be fitted, they've had to be ordered in but he assured her that it was right. 

10 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Wow what an amazing guy to deal with. As Jase said I try to fit the best tyres I can  as that it the only think holding you to the road. Tried to convince my brother with his 4x4 xtrail but he still think 4x4 will save him in a bind. 

Good to hear you have sorted it. Maybe a knock on his door to ask in person (at a distance) just so you can get an idea of what he thinks the bill says. Never came across a garage that doesn't itemise their paperwork.

I was an apprentice technician at a Skoda dealer and then moved into their parts department, everything was always itemised and especially with tyres we always made sure that we asked what brand (if any they wanted) 

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88
30 minutes ago, chris-t said:

It's a 225/40 18.

When the wife spoke to him, she did express surprise that he had one in stock as everywhere we've ever asked for them to be fitted, they've had to be ordered in but he assured her that it was right. 

He’s basically taken a lend of her, now he has been caught out.

Those tyres are circa £70 new. Not sure what you will get maybe half that as scrappy will need their margin.

out of interest what are the michelin crossclimates like? Im running bridgestone all weather tyres in the same size 225/40/18, they are a biy scrabbly off the mark in this current climate, do the michelins have better summer grip?

i have a diesel 2.0tdi 150bhp fwd so big lump of torque gets them scrabbling, only off the line though.

Edited by BigJase88

Just looked up 225/40 R18 price (but I haven’t searched around)

The Evergreen was showing as £73 (and 7 days to order), the crossclimate as £108

Less of a difference than I expected, and I’m not sure why anyone would choose to stock a relatively expensive obscure budget tyre.  Don’t think he knows much about tyres even if good at fixing other things.

On 19/09/2020 at 16:18, chris-t said:

He shouted at me down the phone, said he'd done exactly what he was asked, accused my wife of lying and the hung up. Refused to answer anymore calls.

Tell him in writing what he can do with any future business!

• Like 1