DSA Haldex controller for Superb III AWD

5 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Yeap that's the VdV controller. Similar in principle but there's a few differences, to my understanding, in the way the system enforces the locking values and how much deviation it allows from them.

Regarding reliability, I spoke with a couple of owners that have really been beating their cars on track and running close to 700Nm (modded TT-RS) with the DSA controller, which is nowhere near the occasional usage I will be asking from mine, and they have had no issues yet.

Another thing which I found out during monitoring the behaviour of the stock system, and surprised me, is that contrary to what people (myself included) believe, there is quite some locking of the rear axle taking place even in stock form when you use the throttle around a corner. In some cases even, the locking requested from the stock management was surpassing my minimum locking value (60%) momentarily. Surely, with the controller you are requesting more locking more often (depending on your settings also) but my point is it's not as if the stock system leaves the rear axle alone around corners, far from it.

• Like 2

Forgot to say the DSA unit ships with a full replacement plastic cover (the one for sealing the cabin from the outside) with an integrated cable for the controller. It is the OEM part (same part number) but pre-modified to host the extra cable needed.

Like this you only remove the stock grommet with the stock wiring loom and re-fit it into the replacement cover without the need to modify anything or leave holes to the outside of the car.

A detail that showed attention to the installation.

• Like 1

Very interesting, I have also been interested in a haldex controller for quite some time now.
A curiosity, apart from having chosen DSA for the developer's background, did you still evaluate other manufacturers?
In any case, your first feedback is very interesting.
I am waiting to know what your final setting will be...

10 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I have coded my ESP to immediately switch to ESP Sport with one push of the button, and full ESP OFF  when holding the button pressed for 2-3 seconds.

Can you please explain me how did you set a full esp off?

10 hours ago, newbie69 said:

PS.2 My rear tires are not going to be very happy with this mod...

...very interesting!!:nod:

All very interesting for track use. The standard car is good enough for everyday  use. Point to point journeys on Britains busy and battered roads now take longer than 30 years ago...if you don't want endorsements on your licence. 

3 hours ago, Roscio said:

Very interesting, I have also been interested in a haldex controller for quite some time now.
A curiosity, apart from having chosen DSA for the developer's background, did you still evaluate other manufacturers?
In any case, your first feedback is very interesting.
I am waiting to know what your final setting will be...

Can you please explain me how did you set a full esp off?

...very interesting!!:nod:

This is a rather special tuning field and there's no "back to back" comparisons really to evaluate fully as with other modifications, so I did as much as I could by finding out where (in what cars and for what sort of driving) they have been used, contacting owners and finding out how each controller can be set up.
I liked the DSA offering for a number of reasons, a very important one being that the car still always drives as stock by default, but if you want more rear wheel bias you can simply push the ESP Sport button, that's a very OEM integration.
I also liked that it respects the stock decoupling in a number of occasions despite what you set up and that essentially, it amplifies an already built-in and exercised feature of the stock system (rear axle engagement), rather than introduce something completely different.

For changing the ESP button operation from the stock: TCS OFF (short press) / ESP SPORT  (long press)   to:  ESP SPORT (short press) / ESP OFF (long press):

* Mine is a MY19, don't blame me if it doesn't work on yours *  (speaking in general here)

Module 03 Brakes
"Long coding"
Locate "Byte 29" and change value from "A9" to "A8"

Dash will show a few errors momentarily, like no Brake servo available, as with other adaptations in the Brakes module, turn ignition off and on and they will be gone.

*** From what I have read you can also change it to "A6" and this is the true ESP OFF option (even though A8 also results in saying ESP OFF but I found out after I had done mine and haven't got round to try it yet.***

I didn't care about ESP OFF in particular, I actually wanted to be able to switch to ESP Sport (and Haldex controller ON) immediately with one push of the ESP button instead of long pressing. In stock form sometimes you realize you've already pressed it once, so pressing it reverts to being ON, then you long press again to switch to ESP SPORT, too much hassle for no reason, I never found TCS OFF useful anyway, I either drive with ESP ON or with ESP SPORT if i want to have some fun.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redboy said:

All very interesting for track use. The standard car is good enough for everyday  use. Point to point journeys on Britains busy and battered roads now take longer than 30 years ago...if you don't want endorsements on your licence. 

I suspect that's more up to each owner and their use of the car.  Agreed that even for me who was after an extra level of playfulness and adjustability, I won't have the chance to exploit it that often on the typical public roads. I would have to "chase" these conditions (right place, right time, right environment) to be in place so it's more of a luxury.
For track use it would be excellent and with all the modifications I have done and plan to do, going back to the track is not ruled out (need better brakes first).

Till then, it will mostly serve for the occasional "sensible" play, like for example (this is a completely theoretical situation), a tight, low speed round-about in Swedish suburbs, at mid-night, after it's rained, you can get round at least half of it with continuous opposite lock... Not as intense, intimidating or hard to manage as with a RWD, but still an extra amount of fun the stock car was not able to provide.

Edited by newbie69

5 hours ago, Redboy said:

And the other thing about going faster round corners is you quite often can't see far enough ahead at reasonable speeds.

4 minutes ago, facet edge said:

And the other thing about going faster round corners is you quite often can't see far enough ahead at reasonable speeds.

Not the ideal occasion for more throttle then!

One good thing about south Sweden being so flat though is you can at least ensure visibility for miles  :D

Hoping we'll get a bit of snow this year, last year there was none where I live, now I can only guess that would make for an interesting occasion with a Haldex controller on  :angel:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

Not the ideal occasion for more throttle then!

One good thing about south Sweden being so flat though is you can at least ensure visibility for miles  :D

Hoping we'll get a bit of snow this year, last year there was none where I live, now I can only guess that would make for an interesting occasion with a Haldex controller on  :angel:

Lincolnshire is flat unfortunately, round the rural bends in this part of the world,  usually B roads, it's often hedgerows, trees, tractors, horses, spiced up  with grain and mud to endanger motorcyclists. You can read the road  signs, see the church spires and telegraph poles to anticipate the bends,  but not see the tractor and trailer pulling out just around the blind part of the corner.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Lincolnshire is flat unfortunately, round the rural bends in this part of the world,  usually B roads, it's often hedgerows, trees, tractors, horses, spiced up  with grain and mud to endanger motorcyclists. You can read the road  signs, see the church spires and telegraph poles to anticipate the bends,  but not see the tractor and trailer pulling out just around the blind part of the corner.  

Well here I need to drive at least 30min to find a proper twisty b-road to begin with, everything is so annoyingly connected via straight lines...