Superb IV improving battery performance

I have had my Superb Iv for 2 months - done 1300 miles - recharged at least 40 times.

Is there any way to improve the battery performance.

Best I've had is 27 miles range stated on the car display after full charge (100%), BEFORE any driving.

Over the last 2 weeks his has dropped to 22 miles. It's not the cold weather.

Given that SKODA have claimed 35 miles on full charge is there something wrong somewhere that can be fixed or enhanced in some way.

26/11/20

this extract is the best I can find - from Skoda European brochure

ŠKODA SUPERB iV

27. 5. 2019

The SUPERB iV is powered by a 1.4 TSI petrol engine delivering 115 kW (156 PS) and an 85 kW electric motor. The maximum power output is 160 kW (218 PS).

Battery

The new ŠKODA SUPERB iV is the brand’s first production model to feature plug in hybrid technology. By combining an efficient petrol engine with an electric motor, it offers particularly eco friendly mobility without compromising on performance. The battery has a capacity of 37 Ah and 13 kWh of energy: the car’s CO2 emissions are less than 40 g/km and the all electric range is up to 55 km (in the WLTP cycle). The ŠKODA SUPERB iV fulfils the Euro 6d TEMP emissions standard.

The battery can be charged conveniently at home overnight, for example, using a standard plug socket or in 3 hours 30 minutes using a wall box with a charging output of 3.6 kW. The socket for the charging cable is located behind a flap in the radiator grille. The ŠKODA SUPERB iV is also able to recharge or maintain the level of charge in the battery while driving, using its petrol engine and brake energy recovery. This allows drivers to cover a longer journey’s ‘last mile’ – in a city, for example – again without producing any emissions there.

My comparison is NOT about actual on the road mileage achieved - it is very simply what the car "thinks" it can do BEFORE you even switch the engine on.

A 37ah battery?

Thats smaller than a standard vehicle, I'm sure mine is 60ah just for starting the engine.

Like the video on range, however it is not answer my question since it's the massive variance on the massive drop in the range estimated before starting that's the current issue.

If it can only do 22 miles at a temperature of 13C (average over the last 2 weeks where I live then I think it's time to get serious with SKODA for mis-representation. If it get even worse when we get into winter then it will be useless for more than 4 months of the year in the UK.

14 hours ago, ERIK99 said:

I think it's time to get serious with SKODA for mis-representation.

I don't think you'll get very far as Skoda clearly quote that the up to 55km is in the WLTP cycle and not in the real world.

The new ŠKODA SUPERB iV is the brand’s first production model to feature plug in hybrid technology. By combining an efficient petrol engine with an electric motor, it offers particularly eco friendly mobility without compromising on performance. The battery has a capacity of 37 Ah and 13 kWh of energy: the car’s CO2 emissions are less than 40 g/km and the all electric range is up to 55 km (in the WLTP cycle). The ŠKODA SUPERB iV fulfils the Euro 6d TEMP emissions standard.

• Like 2

If there is a simple and inexpensive way or just a less simple and expensive way to improve the range you might have expected the VW Group / Skoda to do that before getting the WLTP / RDE2.

There is a reason that the HMRC / Government in the UK are only slightly going along with the kidology of ICE / Hybrids being green.

There are big cars with Co2 g/km numbers that are pure fiction if they actually go further than say the range that can be driven on a charged up battery.

A tool without much personality.   Is that a description of  the vlogger?  He certainly does not like my comments on some of his youtube reviews.

*I asked in the comments in the bottom vid if they tried driving 35 miles in Electric mode!*

Surely the least that should be expected of a reviewer as it is not like it should take more than an hour if they crawl along or draft behind a tall vehicle etc.*

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  This is getting very silly - last 2 weeks I've only been getting as estimated range of 19 miles over last 3  full charges and the outside temp is not much different to when it set off with 22 miles range.  At this rate if we ever get to zero Centigrade the battery range will be less than 10 miles - what's the point of charge for over 5 hours to do just 10 miles son battery.

What is anybody else getting - the best help for is everyone to compare what range we get at what outside temp.

If I'd known the battery was going to be so poor I certainly would never have bought this car. - 5/12/20 - outside temp is about 6 Cent and only got 19 miles at 100% charge before driving off.

7 minutes ago, ERIK99 said:

If I'd known the battery was going to be so poor I certainly would never have bought this car.

That's why manufacturers are quite happy to quote WLTP  etc. figures with very small print saying (in effect) you won't get this range in the real world.

It's always been the case that manufacturer quoted fuel consumption and range values are based on laboratory tests that are totally unrepresentative of the real world - WLTP fuel consumption figures (for ICE vehicles) are less silly but the electric range figures (for EV & hybrid vehicles) are still wildly optimistic.

Count yourself as yet another person to believe that the quoted figures are possible in the real world - they're not now, never have been and never will be (because every drive is in different traffic and meteorological conditions).

Hi PetrolDave.

I'm not interested in the actual mileage managed whilst driving since that IS open to the driver, road, type and total distance travelled.  My complaint is about the failure of the battery and charging system to get somewhere near the quote capability BEFORE even getting in the car.  A drop from a SKODA quoted possible range of 35 miles in practise only achieving 19 miles (which might get even worse) is simply a breach of contract. 

The car tested to the same WLTP regime would achieve / replicate the results of the Certificated WLTP.

My EV' is losing so much range overnight that it surprises me compared to a couple of weeks back.

Then the actual power usage is pathetic.

But then Vauxhall / PSA have a Website showing what to expect according to ambient temp, speed, AC / Heater used or not. 

On 26/11/2020 at 17:21, ERIK99 said:

My comparison is NOT about actual on the road mileage achieved - it is very simply what the car "thinks" it can do BEFORE you even switch the engine on.

It knows how you drive from history so adjusts. At least that is how it should work and what I assume. Otherwise it'll start at 35 all the time and very quickly adjust, and people will complain too. 

7 hours ago, ERIK99 said:

Hi PetrolDave.

I'm not interested in the actual mileage managed whilst driving since that IS open to the driver, road, type and total distance travelled.  My complaint is about the failure of the battery and charging system to get somewhere near the quote capability BEFORE even getting in the car.  A drop from a SKODA quoted possible range of 35 miles in practise only achieving 19 miles (which might get even worse) is simply a breach of contract. 

Does the trip computer give you a mile/kWh readout for electric only mode? 

That'll tell you a lot more if it's just high consumption or not using the full (useable) battery capacity. I believe the battery has around 10kwh useable, if you can eke out 3miles per kWh you are nearly there. 

I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks that, the main reason for the drop in the ESTIMATED battery only miles before driving off, is actually affected by the "way that I've driven" in the last few trips. 

I am aware that the petrol only cars have always done this because you even see an increase in range left with some economy driving.

Yesterday at 0C outside the car is estimating 21 miles on 100% charge, up from last 2 full charges of 19 miles.  This did follow about 35 miles of "gentle driving".

Something I can test out over the next week or so.

What miles is anyone else getting on a full charge and with what sort of driving style.

It cannot be the only reason thought since my driving has been quite consistent over the last 1000 miles during which I had up to 27 miles estimated range on battery only.

9 minutes ago, ERIK99 said:

I'm interested to know if anyone else thinks that, the main reason for the drop in the ESTIMATED battery only miles before driving off, is actually affected by the "way that I've driven" in the last few trips. 

I am aware that the petrol only cars have always done this because you even see an increase in range left with some economy driving.

Yesterday at 0C outside the car is estimating 21 miles on 100% charge, up from last 2 full charges of 19 miles.  This did follow about 35 miles of "gentle driving".

Something I can test out over the next week or so.

What miles is anyone else getting on a full charge and with what sort of driving style.

It cannot be the only reason thought since my driving has been quite consistent over the last 1000 miles during which I had up to 27 miles estimated range on battery only.

Two questions please if you don't mind. What range are you getting per tank for example 500 miles and what overall mpg are you getting including charging?

@ERIK99, you have not given us any details of your actual journey and speeds.

The WLTP cycle is mostly slow and stationary traffic which is quite punitive for ICE but EVs fair comparatively  well it is also conducted at a nominal 20 deg C so they don't heat or cool the cabin.

If you have a motorway journey at speed and heating the cabin, seats and steering wheel then consumption would inevitably be high

Edited by Gerrycan

Hi shyVRS245

Very rarely had a full tank of fuel since I do mainly short trips and try to make them all battery, hence my real annoyance about the drop in battery only range.

I believe at one point after a fuel tank that It was showing over 550 miles with 27 miles being battery.

Currently 95% full of petrol - total range 491, of which 19 miles is battery - average 1.5 miles per kw on battery, 100% charge

Overall mpg over 1300 miles, as shown on the app is 83mpg - this was with lots of short trips but 2 long trips accounting for over 800 miles, with only about 60 miles of that with any battery power.

• Thanks 1

Hi Gerrycan

I well aware that the actual way you drive will affect the ACTUAL range covered whether on battery only or by petrol. This is not my complaint here.

First thing that I'm trying to understand why the estimated range, after a full charge, in similar outside temperatures , is varying over the last 2 weeks

--- that may be because of my driving style between trips having changed, but I think not since I'm consistent in my driving style and the sort of journeys

second thing is why the range has dropped from 29 at best down to 17 at worst  - on a full charge - before the car is switched on.

I'm happy the car is estimating the likely miles on battery plus an POTENTIAL extra mount if I switch off ALL the electric consuming feature of the car

What I'm now concerned about is why all the electric power is used from the BIG battery rather than the normal "little" battery that in NON EV cars would be supplying all the power.

How and when does the "little" battery (the one now in the boot) get charged  - is it only when the petrol engine is running - if so then there is real risk that this battery will go flat if I almost only use the "BIG" battery for my trips

@ERIK99

Charge the battery and save it and drive using the engine up into the hills (around MK!!!) and then using electric do a return trip and if there is enough regen and low energy consumption that range when charged again will show high.
That is the only way the car has any idea of possible range.

I have 98% in my EV which was good for 180+ range on the right roads and warmer weather and today it is showing 80 miles range because of the last cold days and nights and some trips locally on the flat.

If i head off for an trip with regen and get back and charge to 97% the range will be up around 150 miles.

Best range i have had showing after charging from a 50 mile trip home from Braemar which is mostly downhill and getting re-cooperation.

DSCN5344.JPG.f3a6ec992b9bf74e736ff2d32b09293e.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot