Fabia III 1.2 Remap

DDJ26

Looking at getting my Fabia mk III remapped soon, and I've been quoted: 88 BHP - 130 BHP and 160 Nm torque - 215 Nm torque. However, a couple of colleagues at work were saying that I would also need to upgrade my brakes, wheel size, suspension and clutch if i got the map done. is all of that really necessary, or would i be able to get away with just the map (for now at least)? 

@DDJ26welcome.

As @shyVRS245says.

If you drive the same speed as you drive now then the car weighs the same regardless of the extra bhp / torque.

If you want to drive more spirited, brake harder more often and take corners faster than now then upgrading might well be an idea.

The SEAT Ibiza, VW Polo or Audi A1s with around 130ps have much the same platform, brakes and suspension as your Fabia has.

There are plenty threads in the Mk3 Fabia section on modding and tuning.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I'm guessing, just guessing that your 1.2TSI 88PS Fabia currently has 256mm front brakes with FSIII callipers, all Polos same platform with the 1.2TSI 110PS engine got 288mm front brakes with a different calliper type, and most Ibiza same platform eventually got 288mm front discs. I don't know what Fabia with 1.2TSI 110PS were fitted with, but I'd hope that they also got 288mm front discs.

It might depend if your new insurer is fussy/interested enough to bother to require you to improve your front brakes.

17 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I'm guessing, just guessing that your 1.2TSI 88PS Fabia currently has 256mm front brakes with FSIII callipers, all Polos same platform with the 1.2TSI 110PS engine got 288mm front brakes with a different calliper type, and most Ibiza same platform eventually got 288mm front discs. I don't know what Fabia with 1.2TSI 110PS were fitted with, but I'd hope that they also got 288mm front discs.

It might depend if your new insurer is fussy/interested enough to bother to require you to improve your front brakes.

If you are correct then not only are the calipers different, but the whole wheel hubs are different. They were on the mk1. If so the best bet is to upgrade the quality of the pads and discs to 'fast road' type.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want the remap for. If it’s to get up to normal speeds that you drive at now and are comfortable and safe to stop from but just a bit quicker then no need to change from standard. If you’re planning to drive it harder and take corners faster etc then brakes and suspension would maybe be a good upgrade.

for reference I remapped my old superb 2 as it was 140bhp diesel (went to around 170bhp) and I’d come from a 180bhp petrol vRS octy but never did any other upgrades.

the brakes and suspension on both former cars were not great for the speeds I could drive at but then I was sensible enough to know the limits and not exceed them in normal driving.

contrast my current car (superb mk3 4x4 280bhp) which has insane power but also has a decent brake setup as standard and I can still drive it beyond sensible limits if I choose to do it all comes down to your own standards.

Personally for the relatively small increase we are talking about in your case (not like the 80bhp a stage one on mine would give) I wouldn’t worry about the rest and just make sure you use it appropriately for the conditions.

On 03/12/2020 at 20:41, DDJ26 said:

Looking at getting my Fabia mk III remapped soon, and I've been quoted: 88 BHP - 130 BHP and 160 Nm torque - 215 Nm torque. However, a couple of colleagues at work were saying that I would also need to upgrade my brakes, wheel size, suspension and clutch if i got the map done. is all of that really necessary, or would i be able to get away with just the map (for now at least)? 

This is just to give you an idea of what a 90PS 1.2TSI can be remapped to. Maximum torque comes in at a relatively low 1600rpm on the 1.2TSI engine, whereas the smaller 1.0TSI needs 2000rpm before it will deliver the beans. I've no idea what the gearing is on either car, but let's say it's 25mph/1000rpm. This would translate to maximum torque being available in top gear at 40mph on the 1.2TSI, but not until 50mph on the 1.0TSI. 

SKODA FABIA NJ 2014 -

1.2 TSI

66 kW / 90 PS, 160 Nm (Serie)

Leistungssteigerung
Hubraum 1197 ccm
Drehmoment 230 Nm bei 1600 U/min
Mehrleistung 30 PS / 22 kW, 70 Nm
Höchstgeschwindigkeit V-Max aufgehoben
Verbrauch (Differenz) 0 bis 1 Ltr.

https://www.dtintecno.de/cars/1-2-tsi-66-kw-90-ps:14650

Edited by Carlston

Get real. No need to do anything with the brakes on the Fabia. 130bhp and the top speed of these. Along with the weight of the car.  .. Mine is 99ron mapped to 140bhp. Standard brakes stop it just the same as before. But I have upgraded the suspension. As the Fabia wallows like a Hippo in Mud on standard suspension needles of power.

256mm diameter front discs weigh about 5.1kg each

288mm diameter front discs weigh about 7.2kg each

That's a big difference to unsprung weight.

256mm and 288mm Brembo front discs

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/brake-disc-10132/skoda/fabia/fabia-nj3/108657-1-2-tsi?supplier[0]=65&criteria[100]=VA

Edited by Carlston

So, correct me if I've got the wrong end of your stick, so if looking for better performance overall,  people should always plan to retro fit the basic 256mm brakes?

That does not sound like a good plan, braking system weight will always increase when you increase the size of discs and callipers, so no surprise there unless you look into buying lighter weight bigger brake kits.

4 hours ago, rum4mo said:

So, correct me if I've got the wrong end of your stick, so if looking for better performance overall,  people should always plan to retro fit the basic 256mm brakes?

That does not sound like a good plan, braking system weight will always increase when you increase the size of discs and calipers, so no surprise there unless you look into buying lighter weight bigger brake kits.

Good drivers don't use their brakes much. They read the road ahead and keep a good distance between them and the car ahead. Overuse of the brakes not only wastes fuel but causes rapid wear of the brakes.

256mm front discs means that 14" tyres are an option. 288mm front discs means at least 15" tyres are required.

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, yaggiboom said:

If the mass of the car hasn't changed, then why would it require different braking components? A remap increases the performance, it changes nothing else.

According to Jurid on autodoc, the Fabia MK3 1.2TSI 90PS uses 256x22mm front brakes, whereas the slightly more powerful Fabia MK3 1.2TSI 110PS uses 288x25mm front brakes.

So as the OP only has 256x22mm front brakes, using the bigger 288x25mm front brakes when doing a 90PS to 130PS remap might be a good idea as he would only be fitting the front brakes that come as standard on the 110PS model.

If it was me, I would keep the smaller 256x22mm front brakes so that I could use non-standard 185/65R14 or 185/70R14 tyres.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 185/65R14 86T (Euro label D C 69dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7980p144832/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_185_65_R14_86T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_69dB

Vredestein Quatrac 5 185/70R14 88T (Euro label D C 69dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7981p144829/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_185_70_R14_88T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_69dB

Edited by Carlston