Water in spare wheel well.

Bought my 2016 Superb two months ago.

Noticed the wheel well was full of water, sponged it all out.

In the "close up" picture, the water seems to be coming from the centre of the picture in the corner of the weilding stuff.

Not sure what the light brown stuff is, wether it's some sort of wielding or something.

The garage I bought the car off, had a tow bar fitted, at my request, you can just see the wiring in the top right hand corner of the second picture.

A bit concerned as in my laymans knowledge, the light brown weilding stuff looks like it's been added and maybe the car has been in an accident?

I've contacted the garage I bought it from, they said to bring it in for them to have a look, which I will do, but as I need the car for work I can't take it in until the week after Christmas.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks in advance.

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9929.JPG

It seems I got a bit carried away in my first post.

Yes, I have a water leak where I said, however all the weilding stuff I thought might have been done afterwards, after looking at pics of other wheel wells, is the factory weilding.

I'm still after ideas on how the water is getting in though.

Thanks for reply.

I've had a look around the tail light and done some water test.

It seems the water is going in the big catch, then some of it leaking inside to the wheel well.

Where as the other side, the water goes into the big catch (seems it's meant to do that) but just then drips down under the car.

I just wonder if when the towbar was fitted some damage was done.

Any ideas please?

IMG_6501.JPG

IMG_6500.JPG

• 7 months later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Tim? My estate does exactly the same thing. Water appears into the boot through the welding seam offside rear in the wheel well. I also have an aftermarket towbar like yourself.

IMG-20210803-WA0007.jpeg

Hi,

Took car back to where I bought it from, very helpful which I was pleasantly surprised at!

They took the bumper off and put a load of sealant where they thought the water was coming in. (They couldn't see where it was coming in).

Took it home, next lot of rain, leaked again. Took it back, again very helpful, took bumper off and more sealant in, they said they still couldn't see where it was coming in which was very frustrating for them they said, but for me to take it away and try again.

That has now cured the leak, so all sorted by the garage at no cost to me, which I was very happy with.

Tim

• Like 1