poor demisting

marklee

Hi everyone, we have a 2020 Karoq 1.5tsi. It has the most annoying issue and the dealers and Skoda are next to useless. It takes up to 15 minutes to demist the car in the mornings, doesnt matter aircon on or off, or whether the car is left to idle on the drive or is driven to work the engine. The condensation on the front screen is the worst Ive seen. 

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the solution, apart from rain ex etc

Welcome.

Best discover why there is so much moisture in the car.

Are you driving it with the A/C on all the time and making sure no wet clothes or mats are in the car overnight?

Best see that water is not getting trapped in the door, like in the passengers door if it is not being opened in the morning.

Hopefully no leaks.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/461611-water-ingress-passengers-footwell

Edited by e-Roottoot

Hi, thanks for the reply. Nothing wet is left in the car and I cant see water trapped anywhere . Its been in the dealers and they are useless. they plugged it in and said its ok....... I think there is water getting in the car and pooling under the carpets, although Ive yet to prove that theory. It must be wet in there somewhere

• Like 1

@markleeI would put newspapers on the floor to see if you can find and trace of water getting in.

& while you are having the issue get a couple of 'Damp Packs' in the car.  One in the car and one in the boot.

Sometimes what the Dealership prep person uses in the glass is not that great so best clean all the glass again. 

Also check the doors when you open them and see if there is H20 draining out of them.

Check the spare tyre well also.

109836848_DSCN2443.JPG.94768b4a6a1110d290932694524a3b7b(1).JPG.05505615d73b62e30a4647c7bd926e95 (1).jpeg

Just about every VAG car I've had seems to steam up on the inside quite badly for the first few minutes when I get in and start it in the winter. No idea why why, but it's noticeably worse than the various other makes of car we have and have had.....

It's a characteristic......!

:ohmy:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phil245 said:

Just about every VAG car I've had seems to steam up on the inside quite badly for the first few minutes when I get in and start it in the winter. No idea why why, but it's noticeably worse than the various other makes of car we have and have had.....

It's a characteristic......!

I'd fully agree, that's my experience too,   but OP is saying that it takes 15mins to clear with aircon on. Turning on the aircon should clear the typical VAG winter misting up issue within a minute or so.

OP - if as you say it's taking up to 15mins to clear and the dealership is saying no problem then you need to progress this as there is clearly something amiss. Even 5mins to demist would come under the 'not fit for purpose' clause. I'd either be informing Skoda UK that you're not happy with that particualr dealership or I'd be trying another dealership.

When did you buy your 2020 car?   Is this it's first winter?

PS - Do you have rubber floor mats or luggage mat? These things retain water, when they do it can cause a surprising amount of condensation within the car. But 15mins to clear worth - nope.  There of course lies the possibility that your aircon isn't working working correctly. Maybe that's worth getting checked out?

Edited by Guest

My wifes Fabia is the same - a thick mist on the inside of the rear window in the winter but luckily my Karoq is fine. 

On both however the rear heated screen is a POS (just like it was in my old Tiguan).  Seems to take an age to demist on both cars. With the fabia it rarely has enough juice to do the job and takes at least 10 minutes. If you have extra moisture inside the car first thing in the morning then I suspect that the rear demister will be shown up as it is a weak point in all the VW's I have owned and/or driven.   My Karoq rarely gets a mist issue on the inside but I do have the climate control (AC) on all the time and the windows closed most of the time. I also remember to turn off the recirculate as soon as I have finished with it (smelly car in front) so I suspect all this keeps things dry (so when I leave the car its starting its overnight rest from a nice dry point.  In my old merc I had the issue and I used to use the microwavable bags of dessicant. Simply left a couple in the rear (on the parcel shelf and religiously remembered to re-prime them weekly (and properly following the instructions to regenrate them - which were quite detailed).   

This has nothing to do with those poor folk who have an actual leak though. The service folk at a lot of the franchises seem pretty poor at being able to find the causes of this (and a lot of other issues) from what I have read here and to my mind that is unnaceptable.  From my experience that is pretty par for the course with the service and warranty side of the VAG garages that I have had dealings with in the last 12 years. No idea if they are any better or any worse than other marques but I nearly always leave the garage feeling very fobbed off and a bit angry in most interactions. 

:-(

• 2 weeks later...

Demisting not an issue with our Karoq MY21 so far anyway but the optional heated windscreen is a joke, though to be fair in the description it does say " a while"  Heated screen which Ford have had for years is sooo much better.

The heated windscreen makes it much easier to prepare the vehicle for driving in icy weather. Instead of scraping the window, just press a button, wait a while, and remove the melted ice with the wipers.

The heated screen in my previous Yeti and current Kodiaq clear/ melt snow/ ice in about 1 min. Far less time than it would scraping by hand.

Edited by Kenny R

56 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

The heated screen in my previous Yeti and current Kodiaq clear/ melt snow/ ice in about 1 min. Far less time than it would scraping by hand.

Does your Kodiak have thin wires in the screen similar to Ford? 

New Karoq does not have the wires running through the screen for defosting

2 minutes ago, Dyrnog said:

Does your Kodiak have thin wires in the screen similar to Ford? 

New Karoq does not have the wires running through the screen for defosting

The previous Yeti had the wires in the screen, the Kodiaq has the metallic film type.

Mine has the film type and cleared the snow and ice last week very quickly!

Not having had the luxury of a heated windscreen (and heated steering wheel) I'm very impressed!

Chris