Michelin Alpin 6. Winter tyres.

Ootohere

I have them on a Vauxhall e-Corsa so not a Skoda.

So i have used them on heavily flooded roads and just wet ones, and on wet snow and fresh fluffy snow.

Last night & this morning on icy roads that have had no salting (gritting), and they were very good, that is with me driving to the conditions.

I can highly recommend them.

The size i have is 205/45 R 17 which could suit Fabia's like Mk2 Monte Carlo / vRS which have a OEM size of 205/40 R 17.   or Mk3's on 17" rims.

Other sizes are very likely to be equally as competent, i see no reason why they would not be.

(I have CrossClimates + on wheels that i can put on in Summer, i have used CrossClimates on Fabias in past winters.)

I have CrossClimate SUV's on my Shogun which are good.

DSCN5600.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

Been up to Aberdeen and back and there is an ickle snow about and as usual drivers that every winter look like they have never driven on snow ever are about, up your jacksy, no lights on and wheel spinning away from junctions.    You would think by now that most Aberdonians buying a prestige AWD would have caught on that they come with summer tyres.

Even here we see regular cars in ditches, it often comes as a surprise that their car can’t break the laws of physics.  Mind you, not as spectacularly as this plough I came across just S of Tomintoul a while ago.

spacer.png

Note no peeps were hurt in the making of this pic. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

From discussion with a local chap on a different forum, the verge/side of the road collapsed and he went over.  It’s pretty narrow at that part for 2 cars, never mind a truck like that and another vehicle. 

11 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

The size I have is 205/45R17 which could suit Fabias...

185/65R15

195/55R16

205/45R17

These three tyre sizes all have about the same outside diameter. 185/65R15 are the most comfortable size and the least expensive size. 205/45R17 are the least comfortable size and the most expensive size. However, 195/55R16 could be a good option for the Fabia MK2 VRS as their front discs are about 312mm. 

Michelin CrossClimate+ 185/65R15 92T/V XL

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=185&profile=65&rim=15&wintertyre=1&manufacturer=michelin

Michelin CrossClimate+ 195/55R16 91H/V XL

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=195&profile=55&rim=16&wintertyre=1&manufacturer=michelin

Michelin CrossClimate+ 205/45R17  88W XL

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search?width=205&profile=45&rim=17&wintertyre=1&manufacturer=michelin

Blackcircles aren't listing any Alpin 6 in those sizes at the moment. Besides, it's often best to purchase winter tyres in the summer when the demand isn't so high.

Edited by Carlston
  • Haha 1

@Carlston 

Have you actually driven a Fabia on 17" wheels? 

The OEM size is 205/40 R 17 in the EU.

In Australia the Monte Carlo's came on 16" rims.

**Front discs are not about 312mm on a Mk2 Fabia vRS unless they have been upgraded, they are 288mm.**

The Standard spare wheel that comes with the cars is 195/55 R15.  or 185/60 R15.

&  Are you saying that if you have not fitted winter or all season tyres by now then do not bother just wait until next summer?

If you have not bought when the demand is not high then  people might buy when they need things.   It has been a mild winter so far in much of the UK.

I likely got a good deal on the Alpin 6 in 205/45 R 17's due to them being among the last in stock. (others might have in Stock)

Supplied by ATS Euro master who is owned by Michelin the same as BlackCircle are.

You list the sizes for 15,16 & 17's.   People need to be aware that Mk2 Fabias did not come with 205/45 R 17 tyres from the factory.

The size that VW, SEAT and Audi put on the Sister Cars to the Fabia Mk2 vRS 1,.4 TSI 132 kW Twincharger was 215/40 R17 while the Fabia got 205/40 R 17.

So same power with engines and drivetrains, same DQ200 DSG, same suspension and brakes on the Euro 5 1.4 TSI / TFSI VW Polo GTI, Seat Ibiza Cupra & Audi A1 195 ps. 

So when i say the 205/45 R 17 would suit the Fabia's that come on 17's that is because they do and members here have used them as well as 215/40 R 17's in winter, and spring , summer and autumn.

Not everyone wants to go smaller alloy or steel wheels on their cars.   They might want just a little more rubber on the rims, or on the road. 

Actually the 205/45 R 17 or 215/40 R 17 have the speedo a little more accurate but still over reading on a vRS / Monte Carlo.

Battery in the boot of the Polo, ballast weights added on the rear crash bar of the Fabia, wider tyres on the VW / Seat.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I have these on the Superb II & I'm equally impressed. Winter wheels are 205 55 16s.

Have an old Audi now fitted with Bridgestone Blizzak 245 45 18s. Will find out what they're like in a week or so.

• 1 month later...

Having run many many nokian winter tyres and then these on 205/55/r16 over probably 15 years, these and the Nokian WR A3 are probably on par.

The Michelin whilst more expensive are easier to source and do seem to hold their grip well (Like the A3, both have new tread/sipes that appear with wear).

I agree they're very good and I'd have them again.

I had put cross climate on for summers and decided to leave them on this year, as there was so little driving, but frankly they're not a patch on the Alpin 6 on slush, ice or cold tarmac.

Obviously nothing without studs is great on polished ice, but they're as good as anything else without studs.