Driver's door lock issue in freezing temperatures

JamesD1976

Hi all.

Please could someone help. If it's been freezing overnight and I have to pull the drivers door open, I then can't get the door lock to catch back on the A pillar again. Door closes, but no lock. Tried lots of WD40 (and anti freeze), flicked the lock about and eventually it un-sticks itself and works again but it's becoming a real pain. It only seems to be an issue when it's freezing cold. Any longer term solutions please? Thank you.

Edited by JamesD1976

I can only empathise. I've had this occasionally for years, just on very cold days (like today).  I've not found a permanent fix.  Best quick fix so far, if at home, a mains heat gun on the area and it was OK in under 2 minutes.  I seem to recall warm water poured over the door near the handle does it too. 

But for sure it'll happen again. I suppose some tiny amount of water in the mechanism freezes and I imagine stripping the door and drying mechanism with hot air then spraying with WD40 might get rid of it properly but have not tried.   I hope someone else has an answer. 

• Like 1

Thank you for that WRW. Strangely enough someone at work with a Skoda Fabia said it happens on her car too and some hot water usually defreezes it too so I'll try that (or just remember to get in on passenger side and climb over but I'll forget and be left with a door open lol). I'll get a small heat gun ordered off Amazon too. Thanks again

2 hours ago, JamesD1976 said:

Thank you for that WRW. Strangely enough someone at work with a Skoda Fabia said it happens on her car too and some hot water usually defreezes it too so I'll try that (or just remember to get in on passenger side and climb over but I'll forget and be left with a door open lol). I'll get a small heat gun ordered off Amazon too. Thanks again

Just be careful with the heat gun. They put out more heat than you think and if your to close will damage paint or plastic handle. 
my wife’s last two Fords have been prone to the same issue. I always leave a drinking bottle in the boot during the winter as cold water over the handle and latch area always releases it. It will freeze sharply again, so get in and close the door soon after releasing it. The cars heaters when driving will make quick work of thawing it out once your driving. 

• Thanks 1

Had the same freezing door / lock mechanism here the last few days as well but it has been -5 or so.  It only appears to affect the drivers door so I'm starting to wonder if it is just down to how I park on a slope that means any thaw leads to water running into the lock which then freezes, or if it's to do with the drivers door being the only one with a keyhole in the handle??  Like you I've yet to find a solution and have tried squirts of WD40 and de-icer as well, which don't seem to work, meaning I've resorted to getting in the passenger side, starting the car and turning heater and heated seats on full tilt to warm things up.

• Like 3

-8 this morning here and same issue again.  However, I found a mini travel hairdryer in the back of a drawer last night (it literally fits in the palm of my hand) and 30 seconds of that blowing on the latch mechanism this morning and I was sorted.  The hairdryer now lives in the boot and an extension lead in the garage just behind the garage door!

Hot or warm water is OK but only if then you can get rid of all that H20 if the temp will stay below freezing.

Hot / Warm water freezes hard.  Not some myth.

So you want a  Water Dispersant and WD40 can work, or you can get better and also then lube.

(Remember what a bike chain looks like if you spray with WD40 and leave outside. It will rust badly unless properly oiled / greased / dry greased.)

So you need to be sure the seals on the door let water out, you need lube, you need to prepare door seals etc etc 

Get the car inside someplace warm and dry if you can and prepare it for cold days and nights. 

If an ICE vehicle is parked near where a safe extension lead can be used then a Greenhouse heater can keep the interior above freezing overnight / daytime and the glass free of ice inside and out and the locks all working. 

Not that expensive in electric it costs me about 50 pence a day to have a heater in the car when parked.

Costs more than that running a heater in an EV to be pre warmed. 

DSCN4339.JPG.1597a7d34cbd994683a480bf945b374a.jpeg

DSCN2364.JPG.fe0806c392b984ec86937ef114906c10.jpeg

DSCN2443.JPG.94768b4a6a1110d290932694524a3b7b.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

Hot or warm water is OK but only if then you can get rid of all that H20 if the temp will stay below freezing.

Hot / Warm water freezes hard.  Not some myth.

So you need to be sure the seals on the door let water out, you need lube, you need to prepare door seals etc etc 

Get the car inside someplace warm and dry if you can and prepare it for cold days and nights. 

Yep - just silicon greased the seals so sorted there...   can't get it inside though as the MX5 is in the garage (and not sure it would fit anyhow!).

Think I'll have another blast with the hairdryer later to try and dry any moisture out then give it another squirt of WD40 and see what tomorrow brings.

Interestingly I had a frozen on brake caliper this morning as well - it dragged the pads on the disk for a bit until they heated up then popped off with a bit of handbrake waggling.  Been fine since...

Thanks all, seems a common Skoda issue then. Mine has been frozen solid for the last 48hrs. I've been climbing in and out of the passenger seat. Hopefully once it gets milder I can get it all dry and WD40 it and then perhaps get it greased this summer.

• Like 1