DSG long term reliability

DSG is just as reliable as a manual given care and serviced at the specific intervals.

The mechatronic ecu can go faulty and it can be costly.  But with the newer ones they are more reliable than the older ones.

I have the DQ250 6 speed on my car and it is my first DSG. Really like it and I would buy another without hesitation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend has a 2004 Audi TT with a DSG in it and it's never missed a beat.  We're on our third (two DQ250's and one DQ200) and all have been faultless.

Gaz

• Thanks 1

@match14

What engine are you looking at getting with a DSG?

Wet Clutch DSG's that have their oil changes at 40,000 miles are really very reliable.

DQ200's maybe not so. 

There are issues that affected ones from 2009-2012, then another issue from 2013-2015, then the Slipping Clutch issue from 2015, then the issue that came with the WLTP introduction from 2018/19 with some DQ200's.

VW Group are dropping DQ200's soon with 1.0 & 1.5 TSI's unless with Mild Hybrid.

Before they do Skoda are bringing out the Fabia Mk4 1.5 TSI with a DQ200 DSG.

• Thanks 2

DSG can break like a manual gearbox can. The only difference is the repair will be more costly than the manual. Be prepared to pay if the worst happens. But if you decide to buy, forget about and enjoy the ride!

• Thanks 1

That's likely got the dry clutch dsg (dq200). I'd do some homework on that based on the above info from root. Many have found them to be quite reliable but memory says you need to be careful how much slow speed creeping you do as the clutches don't have the same cooling capacity as wet variant.

• Confused 1

It gets the new developed e-DQ200 DSG,   the cars move off in Electric mode.

So all should be good.

That is how VW have dealt with any issues that they might have had which obviously they never ever did have, because 'We have never heard of that before', 'Never seen that', 

but they forget the Sales People that say 'They all do that.'

The gear changes will be fantastic, 

if no physical buttons and knobs for heating / fan speeds / demists etc a car that is a total PITA.

If the touch screens are slow then really NFFP.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does the 1.5 tsi mild hybrid get the the eDQ200 some suggest that gear box is for plug-in hybrids and that the 1.5 eTSI use a belt driven alternator/ starter motor for electric assistance.