Coasting

pragmatix

I find this really annoying and against everything I was taught, first time I noticed it was going downhill into a tight bend felt very uncomfortable.

unfortunately  on MY21 models it can't be turned off like you could before, good job I use sport mode for my B road driving.

Coasting function can be disabled (turned off).  And when functioning and you want off then touch the accelerator, or a wee tap of the brake, or maybe drop a gear to decelerator.   Best saying what engine and gearbox you have so that people know.

• Like 1

It only coasts in Eco mode surely, not in the default Drive mode etc. But as the engine cuts off on the overrun and doesn't use any fuel the only benefit is that the car maintains its speed better and so needs less throttle when the road levels out or goes uphill?

Chris

I'd have thought so, particularly since I mostly descend hills with the engine "leaning gently" on the car at maybe 5% throttle opening, which is just too much for the fuel cutoff to actually work, although the car would slow gently on engine braking with the throttle fully closed.

'Coasting' has the gears disengaged.  So the vehicle is freewheeling / coasting.

With many DSG's that means instead of D7 or D6 you get just D.

Maybe with the OP's that shows E rather than E7. 

20180429_091851.jpg.f5ddfeda179325e5cfd1d2359b628d81.jpg

DSCN2349.JPG.e71cc2e8522beae0d2baea6e1a195f4f.jpeg

DSCN1213.JPG.4409cd86e11c8990a4c3021f3be3fe31.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

26 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

'Coasting' has the gears disengaged.  So the vehicle is freewheeling / coasting

So the engine should be idling rather than [fuel off and using the vehicle mass/speed to keep turning over].

• Confused 1

As I said it can't be turned off in a MY21 car, and it does it in normal mode, I never use Eco so can't comment on that.

it just caught me out the first couple of times as I'm new to the DSG.

Does it say in the Owners Manual that it can not be turned off?

Is there no options in the Menus to 'Inhibit / turn off'.   I have always found ways that it can go 'Off' in Dry and Wet Clutch DSG, Petrol or Diesel. 

I never do put it 'off' because i use it over the A9, A939 or A93, or other suitable roads and you can save fuel on, (Average or Mobile Camera roads)

and do the routes at the same average speeds.

As it is i am ready to cover the throttle, brake or to downshift or upshift if needed to slow or pick up speed.

As far as the OP and 'against everything taught',  i had my driving lessons in an Auto before my test and sat my test in an Auto and have driven Auto's since 17 year old with getting economy in mind and finding letting a car run on and carrying speed totally natural, and then make down shifting or switching out of 'overdrive' and not braking.

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 15.02.35.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

45 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Does it say in the Owners Manual that it can not be turned off?

Is there no options in the Menus to 'Inhibit / turn off'.   I have always found ways that it can go 'Off' in Dry and Wet Clutch DSG, Petrol or Diesel. 

I never do put it 'off' because i use it over the A9, A939 or A93, or other suitable roads and you can save fuel on, (Average or Mobile Camera roads)

and do the routes at the same average speeds.

As it is i am ready to cover the throttle, brake or to downshift or upshift if needed to slow or pick up speed.

As far as the OP and 'against everything taught',  i had my driving lessons in an Auto before my test and sat my test in an Auto and have driven Auto's since 17 year old with getting economy in mind and finding letting a car run on and carrying speed totally natural, and then make down shifting or switching out of 'overdrive' and not braking.

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 15.02.35.png

There is no longer the option to turn it off, and it certainly came as a shock on a downhill bend when I was expecting engine braking not coasting.

I learnt to drive in a manual over 50 years ago, this is my first auto and in general it's fantastic I know all about fuel saving and I'm a economical driver especially if I use sport mode, gives me the best economy on twisty backroads.

Best remember it is a 2 pedal car and called an Auto, but really it is a semi automatic, automated manual so tiptronic.

You can use the gears with the shifter or the paddles if you have them. 

S is good for point and shoot, holding the rpm longer before shifting up.

The issue for me is that in S you can not shift the shifter across to manual without going into D.

I like 'Coasting' and manual downshifts in a DQ200 DSG.

It is all good practice for Mild Hybrids, Plug in's or EV's.  With EV's you are coasting unless using regen when off the accelerator.

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

The engine is idling.   

The gears are disengaged,

That's what I thought. "Coast" strikes me as being a step backwards, because older manual cars actually shut the fuel off completely if you close the throttle with the engine  above 1_400rpm. Whether you can reengage gear with pedal application is neither here nor there if the car is trying to be simply rather less clever than a good driver by idling the engine unnecessarily.

VW Group also have engines that turn off and turn on while coasting, then ones that are mild hybrids that are regenerating so charging the battery while coasting or regen can be increased to slow down. 

Then they have ones that know by GPS when the power will be required, or cylinder deactivation can happen or the engine shut down.

They are hardly going backwards while chasing low Average C02 g/km's.

?

Do older manual petrol cars really have no spark and no fuel used when the accelerator is not touched and the ignition is on, 

and diesels just keep on running on heat with no fuel being fed to cylinders?

I cant see any recent guides showing 'coasting'. 

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 16.57.56.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

I like the coasting mode, yes, it keeps the engine ticking over, but there is no deceleration caused by the ‘engine braking’, so the car will go further when off the throttle.  This means for instance you can lift the throttle much earlier when entering an off slip or approaching a roundabout.  I first had it in a 1987 auto Vauxhall Carlton, which had no engine braking in D, you had to drop down to 2 (3 speed auto) to get overrun braking.  Subsequently I have often knocked a manual car into neutral to enjoy coasting.

Having this function puts paid to the argument that I often faced, that I didn’t have full control of the vehicle if coasting.  If Vauxhall and Skoda (and others?) build it in...

But I appreciate, as has happened before, I am in a minority 🤫

• Like 2

With a 1.5tsi, if you lift off the throttle it will go into 2 cylinder mode (1400rpm+) , the fuel can be cut off and the throttle plate does not need to close, as it is effectively switched off. Virtually nil engine braking.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, xman said:

With a 1.5tsi, if you lift off the throttle it will go into 2 cylinder mode (1400rpm+) , the fuel can be cut off and the throttle plate does not need to close, as it is effectively switched off. Virtually nil engine braking.

Just saying.

Now that function i quite like and in sport mode you get it more often if you lift off you do get engine braking , a light throttle give you 2 cylinder mode And the ability to cruise with good fuel efficiency.

6 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

'Coasting' has the gears disengaged.  So the vehicle is freewheeling / coasting.

How, in the name of the wee man, are you managing to get 66mpg in a Karoq? I like to think I drive economically but in the 3 weeks and 750 miles I've covered since getting my MY21 1.5tsi SEL DSG I am only getting around 41 at best! 

7 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

No it shows D I never use Eco it uses too much fuel, sport is the mode of choice for B road driving and normal for  A-roads

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@FortyXRoq Not a Karoq, a 2.0 TDI DSG SEAT Alhambra using 'Coasting'.

Aye, I wondered! I could coax up to 70 out of my TDi Leon when the DPF wasn't trying to regen 😜

W hen coasting the gear indicator shows just E rather than E6 or E7 or whatever. In my My21 car it only coasts in Eco mode. Perhaps in your car it is in D7 and not changing down automatically to provide engine braking? I have found in the past with DSG transmissions that as soon as I brake on a descent the gearbox changes down to a lower gear to assist the brakes. 

Chris

31 minutes ago, CJJE said:

W hen coasting the gear indicator shows just E rather than E6 or E7 or whatever. In my My21 car it only coasts in Eco mode. Perhaps in your car it is in D7 and not changing down automatically to provide engine braking? I have found in the past with DSG transmissions that as soon as I brake on a descent the gearbox changes down to a lower gear to assist the brakes. 

Chris

It shows D and if you have car data on the small screen it says coasting.

OK, so it sounds like they tweaked its behaviour to better meet the latest emission standards? Though it must be pretty marginal. 

Chris