Pool of "Fluid"

Can I pick someone's brain please.

I've noticed that when I park there's a pool of fluid behind the drivers side wheel about 4-6" from the inside of the wheel.

Where would this likely come from? Water pump , AC condenser or a water hose?

Had to fill up with water again today, 5th time in about 14 days, which would suggest that I have a serious water/coolant problem. Garlands seem happy for me to continue to drive the car saying it's perfectly safe to do so, despite the red warning ⚠️ appearing every few days!

Do you mean you've had to top up the coolant expansion tank for the 5th time? In which case yes, you likely have a coolant leak...

- you should be using G12evo to top up rather than water

- I'd suggest topping up before each drive, hopefully your drives are short enough so you don't need to top-up mid drive to avoid dealing with a hot/pressurised system

- if it isn't already, get it booked in for investigation

A coolant leak shouldn't cause an issue unless it gets low enough whilst driving to cause overheating. The steps above should minimise that risk but won't remove it completely.

I've had a coolant leak fixed under warranty today, initially it was a pretty slow leak but this week the coolant would visibly drop after a 30-40 mile drive. There are a couple of common coolant leaks which have TPI 2049121/3 assigned to them:

Customer statement:
• Warning light on instrument panel is on: Coolant low level.
• Coolant level is at the minimum mark or below.
• Customer had to refill coolant already several times.
• Traces of coolant are on cooling system parts or under the vehicle.

Findings of the service centre:
• The statement of the customer can be reproduced

Production change
• Optimizing filling process of coolant in CW 12/2015.
• Measure to ensure tightness of coolant regulator housing, introduced in CW 27/2019.
• Measure to ensure tightness of coolant pump, introduced in CW 23/2020.

Checking coolant parameters and cooling system tightness:
• Checking frost resistance of the coolant according to instructions in Elsa ⇒ Maintenance – Detailed instructions.
• Checking cooling system for tightness according to instructions in Elsa ⇒ Workshop Manual.
• Checking cooling system visually for possible leakages:

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

I've noticed that when I park there's a pool of fluid behind the drivers side wheel about 4-6" from the inside of the wheel.

Where would this likely come from? Water pump , AC condenser or a water hose?

I'd suggest waterpump , any clues re colour of the liquid?

As it's drivers side wheel I've ignored the aircon condensate drain

Sunroof fitted?

Edited by bigjohn

10 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I'd suggest waterpump , any clues re colour of the liquid?

As it's drivers side wheel I've ignored the aircon condensate drain

Sunroof fitted?

No sunroof fitted. If I get the chance I'll get some white wiper roll and dab it and see what colour it is.

Bung some white paper under the leak area to get a good indication of the colour.

It'll also allow you to perform a sniff test of the fluid, to see what it smells like, which may shed some light on the problem.

Where are you adding the water?

If you're adding water into the coolant expansion bottle and the coolant level keeps dropping to the point that the low coolant light is coming on, this is not normal and highly suggestive of a coolant leak...

Or am I missing something obvious here...? :worried:

Given the amount you're topping up, if coolant is getting into the oil, I'd expect a white mayonnaise like substance to be visible on the dipstick and oil filler cap.

If the oil still looks like oil, it's much more likely to be the common coolant pump or regulator housing issues and it's just a coolant leak.

Have you got the car booked in for investigation and repair?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Given the amount you're topping up, if coolant is getting into the oil, I'd expect a white mayonnaise like substance to be visible on the dipstick and oil filler cap.

If the oil still looks like oil, it's much more likely to be the common coolant pump or regulator housing issues and it's just a coolant leak.

Have you got the car booked in for investigation and repair?

Yes. It was meant to be going in on Monday but Garlands have balls up the loan car which I was meant to be having and been differed until 17th. 

Then my only advice would be to:

- buy 5l of G12evo coolant

- top-up the coolant before each journey with G12evo (not water)

- try and stick to short journey's

- check the oil regularly for any signs of coolant mixing

Not much more you can do I'm afraid...

I've had to do it for the last two weeks on my car and will continue for the next few weeks to confirm the repair as good.

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2021 at 20:36, TheWanderer said:

Thanks for all of the advice I'll look for the coolant tomorrow and top it up with that and see if any pink stuff is left on the road. 

What's the verdict on the mystery fluid?

I did top up the expansion bottle a bit this afternoon before work and noticed that when I looked down into the engine compartment where the belts run, there's what looks like a baseplate and that was wet.

And the car hadn't been out prior to me going to work, so I think that it's the water pump that's leaking or about to jack it in.

Let's hope it lasts until the 17th. 

I would put my money on the water pump or housing. Just had mine done, same symptoms - pink water on garage floor, undertray was wet, and coolant needed to be topped up every 1500km's.

Very common on the EA888 gen3's which I think is what is in the 245.

Not cheap due to the amount of labour involved but can be done DIY with basic tools - plenty of good youtube videos but I didnt fancy it myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1