1.5tsi cold start engine knocking noise

Hi,

just received the Skoda Superb, done about 450 miles with the car and yesterday morning this noise appeared. After 1-2 minutes after ignition this noise appears. When engine reaches operating temperatures the sound fades away.

https://youtube.com/shorts/yccxISsS088?feature=share

Do you have any ideas what this can be? I have shown the video to the dealer, they are saying its normal and it got something to do with the fuel injection. But to me the noise is like a separate sound, not related to the engine ignition.

Welcome.

I posted after your other post in the Rattle thread.

Sorry i can not hear anything wrong, or anything if there is anything to hear, so no better than whoever you spoke with at the Dealers.

If you think it sounds wrong and they say it is normal then get a drive of an identical car and be sure that the Master Tech drives yours.

Or at least starts it,

It got a PDI but that means nothing.  Dealerships have special requirements of staff. 

EDIT.

Have you checked the oil level cold and at normal operating temp so that you know in the future where it was at hand over.

How long does it take your engine to get to 'operating temp'  and do you mean the coolant to an indicated 90*oC or the Oil to get to that?

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.24a37f9163e0ba1cfd6b6fd298e8e592.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

Welcome.

I posted after your other post in the Rattle thread.

Sorry i can not hear anything wrong, or anything if anything so no better than whoever you spoke with at the Dealers.

If you think it sounds wrong and they say it is normal then get a drive of an identical car and be sure that the Master Tech drives yours.

Or at least starts it,

It got a PDI but that means nothing.  Dealerships have special requirements of staff. 

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.24a37f9163e0ba1cfd6b6fd298e8e592.jpg

Thank you for reply.

The problem with demonstrating the noise with a video, captured with a phone is kind of hard, because of the nature of the sound. If I listen without earphones through the phone its hard to hear, but if you use earphones and tune up the volume its definately there.

I will probably go to the dealers again and ask them to check.

• Thanks 1

I feel like my car (Karoq 1.5TSI, 2021) has the same sound when idling cold. It also sounds similar to when the "Eco" / ACT sign is on while driving. I think it's just the sound of the engine running on 2/3 cylinders instead of 4 :D 

I am quite sure that the sound is louder sometimes compare to other times, so it is not like every single time when I start the car I hear it (for some reason). I can't wait to get an EV. WLTP has ruined the ICE cars 😞 

Meanwhile, turn the radio on or enjoy Spotify on your wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto and don't let the pup-pup-pup sound annoy you.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, skoda_disconnect said:

I feel like my car (Karoq 1.5TSI, 2021) has the same sound when idling cold. It also sounds similar to when the "Eco" / ACT sign is on while driving. I think it's just the sound of the engine running on 2/3 cylinders instead of 4 :D 

I am quite sure that the sound is louder sometimes compare to other times, so it is not like every single time when I start the car I hear it (for some reason). I can't wait to get an EV. WLTP has ruined the ICE cars 😞 

Meanwhile, turn the radio on or enjoy Spotify on your wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto and don't let the pup-pup-pup sound annoy you.

On the virtual cockpit I have added a consumption widget, which displays ACT information when the engine is running on 2 cylinders only. Didn't notice wether it was running with 2 cylinders at the time and if it displays that kind of information while stationary and idling.

Haha, about the radio and Spotify. Good suggestion, probably should just enjoy more.

But might still call the dealer and ask to take the car for proper inspection, rather than just listening to my video. The dealer just listened to the video and was like ah its fine its normal. 🤷‍♂️

Hello,

posting a follow up. Today together with a sales manager, who sold me the car, and the service manager we inspected one of the test-drive vehicles, it has the same engine Superb model. The observed vehicle had no knocking noise whatsoever on the cold engine. Ofcourse, my vehicle was already warmed up (90 degrees was showing on the indicator) and it didn’t reproduce the noise as well, but I told that this is expected because the noise appears only when cold, or atleast not after a long drive. We agreed that I should call the service next week, because a technician will be available back from the holidays and we will inspect.

Moreover, I have found a thread, where the noise is almost identical and the author is stating that it has been solved by dealers by replacing some valve: 

The dealer, sales manager and service manager were really helpful and I feel some sort of relief because the complaint is not being ignored.

Will post follow ups as I will have more updates.

• Thanks 1

Also today after a longer drive ~70 kilometers when I parked the vehicle I was alse able to hear the noise, although less audible than on cold engine startup. Also I noticed that when idling the vehicle was shaking on sometimes, like vibrations from the engine or uneven engine working, something like that.