Wheel spacer opinions?

How do wheel spacers compare to changing for slightly wider rims and/or with different offset? I mean in terms of the mentioned problems ( Increased load on wheel bearings; Increase in bump steer; Changed suspension geometry...). people seem to do these all the time, yet when it comes to spacers they'll will ruin the car... I'm neither for nor against, mind you, just trying to understand. I'm sure my very stock and "old dad-driven" superb would look worlds apart with the wheels pulled outward by just 2cm. The stock rims just keep the whole thing too much "inside" the car. 

Like all these things it depends by how much you go.  <15mm you would be hard pressed yo notice the difference in both handling and wear to the components.  >25mm and you might start to notice dynamic changes (bump steer, etc).  

Comparing with wheels you tend to find that as the offset go down (further out) the rims get wider so the support under the car is not lost as much.  You can get away with quite a lot of poke if going for wider rims.  For example, a rim that is 1inch wider with 12mm (1/2 inch...ish) lower offset will have the inner edge of the tyre at the same point but the outer edge a full inch further out.  25mm spacers will give the same poke but have the potential to cause premature wear.  But then narrower wheels/tyres can be lighter.

As @MarkyG82 mentioned - a good quality sensible spacer will not cause any issues.

I've had spacers on my previous mk2 Octavia RS, and my current mk3 Superb 220.

I had 12mm hubcentric spacers on the RS for 6 yrs - not a single suspension/bearing issue.  No premature tyre wear - I went through 2 sets of tyres in that 6 yrs, each set lasting me 60,000km plus. 

For 3 yrs plus now, I have 15mm/10mm (fr/rr) hubcentric spacers on my Superb.  Again, suspension/bearings r good.  I just changed my factory tyres after doing 52,000kms.  They still had a another 2-3 mm or so of thread.

Having said that - spacers r not "legal for road/street use" in most countries.

Most insurers will say no deal.

A lot of spacers r installed incorrectly, or people cheap out on quality.

A lot of people get incorrect bolts, causing damage when they snap/break.

A lot of people get spacers which r not hubcentric - this will cause bad vibrations n lead to suspension failure and damage the bearings.

A lot of people get spacers with the incorrect bore size - again causing suspension & bearing failures.

Cheap spacers will crack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pcspinheiro said:

@JR RS can you please tell me what spacers you are using (brand or seller)? Been considering 15-20 mm spacers on my superb but keep putting it off... Any pics of how the wheels look?

Cheers!

I've got Bloxsport at the front, and H&R Trak+ DR series at the rear.

Fronts with 15mm....

597028662_PXL_20210703_2322014722.thumb.jpg.b519223f555c9d27c28555834b6a1878.jpg

669168945_PXL_20210904_0243122302.thumb.jpg.1d455b66c27aa8b53cced65f0d552c63.jpg

Rears with 10mm....

PXL_20210904_073507319.thumb.jpg.e1c46767bc2997d4098bd2ee1624065f.jpg