Do all TSI engines in Mk4 have GPF

Hi guys,

I read that VW group has introduced GPF to petrol engines some time ago.

I'm wondering do all TSI engines 1.0, 1,5 and 2,0, have GPF?

I know that petrol engines get warmer faster and that they run on higher temperatures so GPF doesn't have the same cleaning logic as DPF.

Another thing I found in digital manual for my 1.0 TSI is this, so does it confirm that I have GPF?

01B3AA77-79C3-481E-9EB4-35D057A04DED.jpeg

• Like 1

The GPF's were fitted first to 1.0 TSI Mk3 Fabia from June 2018.

In the Fabia Mk3 there were discussions / posts earliest on them and 'Experts / Insiders; saying there would be no issues. 

They were clearly wrong as there were members that had odd  behaviours and posted about them on Briskoda.

VW are not that open on discussing the cost to replace GPF'.   The time will come when they will need to. 

As others models had to be ready for the WLTP / RDE and certification all TSI engines were fitted with GPF's for sale in the EU countries.

As i understand it but could be wrong.

The cars that were bunkered and delayed for exportation and importation or any First Registered from that time will have a GPF. 

Unless they were the pre Euro 6 Temp or Euro 6 d like ones that were under the rules letting run out models to be produced.

MY19  230 /245 ps  has the GPF (OPF) to meet Emission EU6.2 AG. 

Screenshot 2021-12-17 17.57.18.jpg

image (1).webp

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a puzzler for you: 

The Mk4 VRS was spec’d with a mk3.5 engine in Middle east (Egypt to be specific). 

this wasnt stated anywhere online, so the end result is a DLB engine without GPF / OPF cause we got zero enforced emission laws, yet we still have the shiny new mk4 locked down ECUs. 
and consequently , most performance parts that were purchased for a mk4 dont fit this engine, and most 5E performance parts purchased for a 5E fit perfectly, but electrically traumatizes my mk4 ECUs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OAbed said:

Here’s a puzzler for you: 

The Mk4 VRS was spec’d with a mk3.5 engine in Middle east (Egypt to be specific). 

this wasnt stated anywhere online, so the end result is a DLB engine without GPF / OPF cause we got zero enforced emission laws, yet we still have the shiny new mk4 locked down ECUs. 
and consequently , most performance parts that were purchased for a mk4 dont fit this engine, and most 5E performance parts purchased for a 5E fit perfectly, but electrically traumatizes my mk4 ECUs.

The joys of small markets.

The EU and World Wide Harmonisation. Ignored by countries around the world.     Much like when there are Global Recalls from VW on the likes of DQ200.  World wide recall as the Media / motoring journals publish.  They just fail to mention no RECALL in the EU as VW eventually do Service Campaigns.  Only when finally they admit the issue is global so in all the markets they sell vehicles with DQ200.s.    North America, Australia and others can buy 1 4 TSI with 8 speed torque converter autos because they know the emissions and none of the WLTP con trick EU manufacturers have to carry out. 

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

The EU and World Wide Harmonisation. Ignored by countries around the world.     Much like when there are Global Recalls from VW on the likes of DQ200.  World wide recall as the Media / motoring journals publish.  They just fail to mention no RECALL in the EU as VW eventually do Service Campaigns.  Only when finally they admit the issue is global so in all the markets they sell vehicles with DQ200.s.    North America, Australia and others can buy 1 4 TSI with 8 speed torque converter autos because they know the emissions and none of the WLTP con trick EU manufacturers have to carry out. 

Actually it's because of EU fleet emissions requirements. VW couldn't offer people golf gti's and octavia vrs's if they didn't push for hybrids and dsg's. I'll take a more fun less reliable car instead of a full blown economy box other manufacturers are offering in the EU. VW is pretty much the last stand, excluding the premium manufacturers which can afford more CO2 per fleet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually they could not offer them this year if MG Motors and others they partner with did not get the Average Co2 VW group requires this year.

As this year as last VW Group never produced enough EV's, Plug ins or mild hybrids. 

https://www.electrive.com/2021/01/15/volkswagen-adds-ev-makers-to-co2-pool-with-saic

https://thedriven.io/2021/12/14/nio-and-xpeng-join-carbon-pool-to-help-vw-meet-eu-emissions-target/

Edited by roottoot

3 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Actually they could not offer them this year if MG Motors and others they partner with did not get the Average Co2 VW group requires this year.

As this year as last VW Group never produced enough EV's, Plug ins or mild hybrids. 

https://www.electrive.com/2021/01/15/volkswagen-adds-ev-makers-to-co2-pool-with-saic

Exactly. They can't even do it on their own anymore. The requirements are insanely high. It's as if everyone in the EU is slowly being forced to take the bus or sell their house for an EV. EU alone is trying to save the planet while Americans enjoy their V8's and pickup trucks, lovely.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

VW Invested in Diesels and built plants in South America & Hungary and elsewhere to have Diesel Hybrids.

They went racing with Hybrid Diesel Audi's.

They cheated with TDI's they were caught and co-cked up.

That big plan went out the window with Billins of Euro's.

They were behind on Electrics, they are behind in Hydrogen, they are behind in Software, they are always buying into others to catch up.

As they bought into Suzuki whi bought them selves out the night before the Defeat Device Scandal Broke.

Now they are short on batteries and materials.   Looks like they will have to actually pay to get businesses co=operation these days as VW no longer is the big cheese. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/volkswagen-group-secures-deal-co2-free-lithium

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but lying and cheating catches up with you. 

VW group even cheated with the first Hybrid emissions with the Golf 1.4 GTE / A3 e-Tron's.

the made 'errors' in testing Euro 6 petrols & diesels in SEAT, VW & Audi. Not in Skodas. 

This was 2016 cars after the Defeat Device Scandal. 'False Co2 test results'. 

They try anything to keep on rolling out TDI's because that is all they Have, TDI's, TSI, and still MPI's.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/554938/volkswagen-diesel-paraffinic-fuel-europe/

Edited by roottoot

A lot of manufacturers were betting on diesels because CO2 was the main focus. The only reason VW scandal was the loudest is because they got caught, others are still in legal battles or settling quietly. 

By the way, VW is still selling diesels while a lot of other manufacturers decided to quietly exit the picture, doesn't that tell you something?

like I said, there are no other manufacturers in Europe who are still pushing the limits like VW is and it is benefiting customers. All other affordable brands are now extremely boring and slow or electric, which makes them expensive.

• Like 2

Yes it tells me VW Group had no alternatives because behind the curve.  They only have what they have and are going to have to discontinue many of those.

The North American CEO who was expected to become the boss of VW that introduced Green Diesels to the USA left VW in the huff in 2010 and became the CEO of Geely / Volvo and Volvo developed properly the Twinchargers & Hybrids. 

They punted him and he went to GM Global.    I suspect he was the 'Whistle Blower' as he was never prosecuted. 

Edited by roottoot

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

Yes it tells me VW Group had no alternatives because behind the curve.  They only have what they have and are going to have to discontinue many of those.

You think VW had no alternative then what about Renault and Peugeot? They're straight up just putting one engine on different tunes in their cars now. Such amazing choices for the consumer. Want an economy box? How about a small 3 cylinder petrol? Big SUV? How about the same small 3 cylinder petrol with a different engine map?

Every manufacturer is hit by these new regulations. The only ones that can still cope are the premium brands since their volumes are lower, it's easier for them to pool and their EV's don't have to cost much more than their ICE cars since those had great profit margins to begin with.

• Groan 1

They are treading water and just producing ICE vehicles as are needed. 

They along with PSA had the cars through the WLTP first while VW Group could not get their engines certificated.

PSA so now Stellantis is the biggest car manufacturing group in the world now.

VW have troubles, lack of profitability.  The need to sell off parts of the VW Group. 

A new CEO that was the boss of Skoda for just a short while from the new year.   

They need to actually do what they have been saying fir years they would do.     They need people to work for them that will not do now because they know VW will throw them under a bus if needs must.

Edited by roottoot

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

They are treading water and just producing ICE vehicles as are needed. 

They along with PSA had the cars through the WLTP first while VW Group could not get their engines certificated.

PSA so now Stellantis is the biggest car manufacturing group in the world now.

VW have troubles, lack of profitability. 

No one is saying that VW doesn't have troubles. What I'm saying is that VW is the last affordable company in the EU that still makes good and fun ICE cars. Others have completely thrown in the towel and decided to stop offering choices, just eco eco eco.

Edited by zetzet

Audi, VW, SEAT / Cupra are certainly building fun cars.

Sporty cars even with handling and speed / tractions and not big cars. 

What a shame Skoda are not allowed to build cars that have anything to do with their Motorsport success and Motor Sport Heritage in the way of sporty cars.

They have rallying success with Fabia R5's and all that Skoda gets to build are big heavy Family / Taxi sized vehicles and use vRS / Monte Carlo.

That's clearly the intended strategy. Seat is the youth focused sporty cheap brand, Skoda is more grown up comfortable cheap brand. I could have easily gone for a Cupra Leon it was the same price, but I didn't because I value matrix-led, heated windshield and overall softer ride more than the extra 60 hp. Not to mention at least here Skodas hold value better in the used market, better down the line.

Edited by zetzet

Getting back to the original question, my MK3 1.0 Octavia registered in September 2018 unfortunately has a GPF but my sons 1.0 Octavia registered in December 2017 doesn't.  Petrol cars registered from around late 2018 will therefore have a GPF.

On two occasions the GPF has been problematical.  The car asks me to change down a gear when I don't need to.  I have managed to clear the problem by following the advice above but what a waste of my time and fuel.  Absolute nonsense when something designed to reduce emissions actually increases them when they don't work.

• Like 2

Hard to know what is fact and fiction. My son has bought a Mini Cooper S diesel and it is a 2-litre with emissions equalling his previous 1.2 litre petrol Ford Fiesta. When he starts up there is no smoke or a diesel smell. Then, this week I read that direct injection petrol engines produce smaller particulates which are even more damaging to lungs. Who knows?

What we know is that others use GPF's but VW Group used the GPF's they used.

So now as we get to 4 years since they went on the roads we will get to see how high mileage or low mileage ones do. 

Then when 5 years old or 6 years old.

Time will tell if people need GPF's replaced and what Main Dealers quote / charge, or independents.  

?

Does anyone know the price of a replacement GPF for a 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 TSI?  

https://tiguanforums.co.uk/threads/gasoline-perticulate-filter-gpf.7079/

Edited by roottoot

I think someone will find out how to remove it, like the majority of diesel owners do when those fail nowadays. Tractors too, deleting emissions hardware on farm equipment is a very common practice.

Edited by zetzet