Yeti big tyres and 20mm lift

Toneb

I dread to think of the consequences of that bar contacting a human in any other circumstances than them walking into it negligently, all the years of legislation, car design, crash tests etc for nothing, and as for the bolts 🥴

As it will be bolted to the crash beam and knowing how an minor impact to that transferred through the plastic bumper and the polystyrene impact pad behind it will trigger the dashboard, steering wheeel and knee airbags and seatbelt pyrotechnics, an impact so minor that it only left  minor scratches on the painted bumper (my own vehicle) its only a matter of time before a concerned individual decides to give it a dose of towball poisoning and that will be the vehicle written off as mine was.

I say this as someone who had a front bull bar in 1986 on a 1984 original Shogun, it was on the car when I bought it but I liked it and retained it, I would not fit one now, that vehicle had really thick non yeilding old school solid steel bumpers, it was the last of the dinosaurs, dangerous even in stock form, the bullbar itself was safer than the one pictured with the exposed bolt threads and end flanges.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3

A Light bar that spots lights or LED bar can be fitted to.

Not a Bull or Roo bar really as it will not protect the front from a Bull / cow or kangaroo. 

It will not even protect the car / crumple zone from damage if nudged or used to nudge. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486536-new-yeti

The mods do need declared that gave the car a lift and the bar and the tyre size increase over approved but that is another matter. 

Edited by roottoot

It was interesting to read the comments I had made on that thread and forgotten about, what really made me laugh was the advert for the supposed EU approved (no way in hell!!) bull bar called a "Pedestrian Protection Guard" 🤣

I suppose it might guard your non approved auxiliary lights from damage inflicted by the soft body tissues of any pedestrian not quick enough to get out of the way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

I dread to think of the consequences of that bar contacting a human in any other circumstances than them walking into it negligently, all the years of legislation, car design, crash tests etc for nothing, and as for the bolts 🥴

As it will be bolted to the crash beam and knowing how an minor impact to that transferred through the plastic bumper and the polystyrene impact pad behind it will trigger the dashboard, steering wheeel and knee airbags and seatbelt pyrotechnics, an impact so minor that it only left  minor scratches on the painted bumper (my own vehicle) its only a matter of time before a concerned individual decides to give it a dose of towball poisoning and that will be the vehicle written off as mine was.

I say this as someone who had a front bull bar in 1986 on a 1984 original Shogun, it was on the car when I bought it but I liked it and retained it, I would not fit one now, that vehicle had really thick non yeilding old school solid steel bumpers, it was the last of the dinosaurs, dangerous even in stock form, the bullbar itself was safer than the one pictured with the exposed bolt threads and end flanges.

Thank you mate I didn’t think of that ! It’s only to hold the cheap spotlights on . I will be moving that ASAP cheers

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, scoutabout1 said:

this is a " bullbar " guys 

Screenshot_20211120-002606_Gallery (1).jpg

I suspect that the flanges on the side of the OP's bar are for bolting on the major part for use off road.

People do add all sorts of tat from Amazon / Ebay etc and its only £15 or so. 

The UK Government has legislation but it is ignored.   Nobody bothers until a Loss Adjuster maybe.

Saying that i have had Winch Bumpers and winches on vehicle, and no airbags, ABS, ESP, automatic fuel cut out safety etc.

https://www.police.community/topic/303356-is-this-spot-light-mount-road-legal/

kap.tong.june 2009 133.JPG

Edited by roottoot

14 minutes ago, roottoot said:

People do add all sorts of tat from Amazon / Ebay etc and its only £15 or so. 

The UK Government has legislation but it is ignored.   Nobody bothers until a Loss Adjuster maybe.

Saying that i have had Winch Bumpers and winches on vehicle, and no airbags, ABS, ESP, automatic fuel cut out safety etc.

https://www.police.community/topic/303356-is-this-spot-light-mount-road-legal/

kap.tong.june 2009 133.JPG

ive asked this before  as i was looking to bring my  subaru ( in the  picture ) back to the uk  with the front bar etc  and many were saying  that it would be legal  so i cant see any  real probs with  the option  you fitted .. they are big in AU  but  it has to be  securely bolted in place if not it will vibrate like  F...

The Soft Bull Bar / Winch Bumper thing kind of went out the window but the Legislation / Law is there.  Dates of manufacturer matter to the seller / fitter and vehicles.

God help someone with undeclared mods like Winch Bumpers / winches or other additions killing, maiming or causing life changing injuries.

(My orange 110 wrote off a guys car that pulled out in front of me.  That is where the bumper is pushed in a bit with the Skull & Crossbones sticker is.

& The guy with the very very dodgy lifted Land Rover that killed 4 of his children went to jail. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/court-hears-how-four-children-364708

kap.tong.june 2009 103.JPG

kap.tong.june 2009 113.JPG

Edited by roottoot

2 minutes ago, roottoot said:

The Soft Bull Bar / Winch Bumper thing kind of went out the window but the Legislation / Law is there.

God help someone with undeclared mods like Winch Bumpers / winches or other additions kiiling, maiming or causing life changing injuries.

& The guy with the very very dodgy lifted Land Rover that killed people went to jail. 

yea a lot of stuff is " home made" so has no crash test  safe  cert  etc .. its all about making  " sensible  " choices  and not making it blatantly obvious  to the authorities  

7 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Toneb

Welcome to the forum.

Some info on your lift would be interesting and helpful to others.

What Springs, dampers, are there spacers used with the lift, and how is the alignment  etc? 

15 minutes ago, scoutabout1 said:

yea a lot of stuff is " home made" so has no crash test  safe  cert  etc .. its all about making  " sensible  " choices  and not making it blatantly obvious  to the authorities  

7 hours ago, roottoot said:

@Toneb

Welcome to the forum.

Some info on your lift would be interesting and helpful to others.

What Springs, dampers, are there spacers used with the lift, and how is the alignment  etc?

They are 215 70 16 maxxis all terrain and 20mm rubber spacers on top of front struts and same on rear springs . Original suspension  . 20mm hubcentric spacers on wheels . Psb bushes all round and remapped from 110hp to 180hp they say .who knows but it’s so quick now . Would defo recommend.  The off road capability has greatly improved … I used to have a Nissan patrol and I’d say the yeti would now do pretty much anything that would do 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cheap Amazon one yes, the OP's one must be fixed to the crash bar, its the only structure forward of the chassis rails.

Either would make a mess of a pedestrian but setting that aside I could write the vehicle off with a swing from a hammer or a rubber deadblow mallet, thats why I definitely would not have anything attached directly to the crashbar after having seen the devastation caused by what appears to be a tiny tap on my Yeti.

• Like 2

The second photograph shows two horizontal longitudinal support plates that can only be attached to the crashbar.

In that instance the tubular chromed bar does give some protection to a human from an impact with the sharp edges of the lamp support brackets. Without them the bracket would shake loose from the plastic bumper if the lights were fitted and they would be useless through vibration.

I would much rather be hit by a car with a plastic bumper over polystyrene than a metal bar or worse still bracketry.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

I cant for the life of me recall how the standard fitment foglights were attached to my XR3i from the factory.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I cant for the life of me recall how the standard fitment foglights were attached to my XR3i from the factory.

im gonna throw it out there and say exactly  the same way  it was fitted to my  RS1600i rep....... via a metal bumper ;)

• Like 1

Now you mention it I recall the original XR3 had metal bumpers and plastic corner pieces, my 87 XR3i had a painted body colour plastic bumper over a metal beam, I rear ended someone and repaired it with expanded foam, aluminium angle and loads of pug.

• Haha 1