Alloy spare wheel?

Nimit

Hi,

Searched around but couldn't find a specific topic.

Any idea if you can replace the current 16' steel rim with a 16' alloy and 215/60 tyre but with less air, just so it can fit? don't want the false floor to raise and want to make it look normal as much as possible

18 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Why do you not take a wheel/ tyre off your car and try it in with the air it has in now and with less air in?

(& if you go with one the same as on the car as a spare remember and have a way to inflate the tyre with you if you do carry it deflated.)

Good question, but to be honest, I am lazy and the rest of the time busy in work :D

Actually I will do that as soon as I get some time and update here.

The supplied spare wheel is narrower than the usual road wheels and subject to the 50mph/80mph limit for safety. From memory if you put a standard wheel in the well the floor is a couple of inches proud of the cill and even if you fully deflated the tyre I'm reasonably sure the hub width would still hold the floor proud, just not by as much.

• Like 1

To achieve any reduction in width you would have to completely deflate the tyre and even then I doubt you would even gain one centimeter.

If you carry a fully deflated tyre its highly likely that you will not be able to reinflate it with a footpump or electric tyre pump due to the beads not being sealed.

Even with a garage compressor you often have to remove the valve core to allow enough air to pass quickly enough and sometimes that isn't enough, I have a portable air reservoir with a short length of large bore hose leading to a PCL connector and a 3/4" bore lever operated gate valve, with the valve core removed, the PCL connector in place and the reservoir at 10 bar opening the valve quickly will seat a reluctant bead enough to seal.

• Like 1

I've just switched one of my wheels for the Skoda supplied spare so took the opportunity to take a couple of pictures of the road wheel in the boot. As you can se in terms of diameter it's a tight fit, the floor won't go completely down and finally because of the boss(?) in the centre of the wheel you can't lock it down into the well with the large plastic nut.

Mine are 16" wheels (rather than 17") with 215/60 R16 tyres so slightly larger than the tyre used on the same wheel for the Greenline.IMG_20211227_152356700.thumb.jpg.80184af700c687d1b2cd35044d22d2a6.jpgIMG_20211227_152411413.thumb.jpg.e8fa22f87a9ae592b4167dc8a894101b.jpg

As far as I can see it can only go in one way because, if the wheel has a boss, of the restraining "screw" in the middle of the well but more importantly you've got the polystyrene moulding that sits over that and holds the jack etc. 

Even if you dispensed with the jack/tool holder (the bits could go in the other boxes alongside) and had the spare without a boss I don't think you gain anything because the tyre is the same diameter one side as the other.

The only way it might work would be to take out the surrounding boxes - which of course support the false floor which would then let the wheel drop flat on the floor of the well. But whether that would be enough to let the floor lie flat I don't know. 

If Nimit is trying to get to the position where he could effectively have five wheels rather than four road wheels and a spare I think he's set himself a challenge!

I vaguely recall, a long time ago there was a yeti for the Chinese market which had the spare mounted on the rear door externally. It might of course have been a mock-up!(or a c**k up) 

That's gotta hurt if one of the gas struts fails!!! Or did they adapt the tailgate for side opening?

(Here we go - the traditional Yeti forum digression from the original post ☺️ - we'd been doing so well up until now).

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

I vaguely recall, a long time ago there was a yeti for the Chinese market which had the spare mounted on the rear door externally. It might of course have been a mock-up!(or a c**k up) 

It was real and probably mounted on a swinging strut behind the rear hatch.

1 hour ago, Paul52 said:

(Here we go - the traditional Yeti forum digression from the original post ☺️ - we'd been doing so well up until now).

What is so wrong about that Paul?

Its very relevant to the desire to have a full size spare wheel and not lose even more of the minimal luggage space in the Yeti.

I created a variofloor, its filled with only 2/3 of the essential stuff that I carried in the Octavia that still had a full size spare underneath, now I have a space saver and take it for long journeys but it completely screws my ability to carry other items, I have looked at all possibilities of carrying it elsewhere and a swing out rack on the rear would be excellent for my needs.

1 hour ago, Frenchtone said:

I was very tempted by the Octavia type retractable luggage covers that were on Ali-Express etc for Chinese market Yetis because if I see some materials or whatever cheap while I am in a Brico getting them in the vehicle usually goes well until I have to find somewhere for the solid parcel shelf.

On close examination I found that the interior side panels and tailgate are very different on the Chinese Yeti, I have a suspicion that the rear hatch may even open sideways.

There was also a suggestion of placing the spare in a vertical position strapped to one side of the boot space, a scottish guy did that mod, again a long time ago, in fact I bought the strappings off him when he sold on the yeti

I have done that as well but it leaves very little width and is taller than the parcel shelf, the storage of which creates even bigger problems.

I accepted that I would lose 1/3 of my carrying capacity with the Yeti, its the loss of the spare wheel that is increasingly becoming a problem, my long journeys now and for the foreseeable future will be mostly fully loaded.

I might look at making a cradle to go on the tow coupling, not so easy as it is a NATO jaw type hitch with a central ball pin.

1 hour ago, Frenchtone said:

Or was it one of MarieK's excellent photoshop exercises, he mused.

2 hours ago, Paul52 said:

That's gotta hurt if one of the gas struts fails!!! Or did they adapt the tailgate for side opening?

Normal tailgate spare hinged from side.
The car is also longer like the Superb in the rear compartment.

image.png

I wonder if the law or equivalent of Construction & Use regulations in China require a spare wheel and a full sized one at that?

3 hours ago, Frenchtone said:

You are correct Tony, the Chinese lengthened model had the spare mounted on a swing-away mount, however due to European (and UK) regulations that would not be allowed as when turned outwards it obscured the lights on one side. It is why LR had to mount the rear lights in the bumpers of the early Disco and Freelander.