Lift kit for Fabia mk1

Kharl

Hello guys,

i was on ebay when i saw a lift kit for my Fabia.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373841156504?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item570aab5998:g:5FIAAOSwUwxhyWjU&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSafTQYbq3L7RBVAMi0K9cw1Pe68BCNr40rpFqLFp907DqsQ9thRJeGs5DGjXIh3GmXUhEla7PjYNbthon69pyf%2BvZcsraLUJRFDk90crlC390v%2BH3S7F%2FGFaGvhj3sEKmOBdwvDR%2FOJA%2BQwxBLB0V%2BTt8tAYnzMuBYflRdg%2BqzqqjTcvOrxQRR56yNFHKeHMI8C3g0tgPb0hH4aL6DTi1Vm5Kgvkiuz9rtizeRZEkdx1tqxoS%2Botd7v495jBm6i4%2F2IOl50fHOGSBoCVVXemJAfl8Db4NA28lv6qFfLp9Fot0Qv0cZAAQuOpTrC28ENBC6SdHssu51VQziE1ai72DBdgnns4lhv%2BINKVGOuvgUj2cgvAV%2B4Q%2F1XF8LYleoN1Nyu3GPOa2Ym%2FSno2LjDgFPpBXrb%2FlNiAS7xsUP2jLEMf9vV2u3ReiwVP7QS6%2FHNGP4fTzxSjY4NyRGwxQCgi22h8kIMvwtVt9XdJYlw0a2I3Ni387sVJOeG3YTS%2F7l%2BsFA81PzLOlHBG5RaNY2bNq8MieMsOaR2%2FptUoLvWJrK9RZ%2FfqWbBJZCWV%2B8LbdElm34Kn7PAr5xJuO8PHuqVX0pOo5m2oKS8wuqKEueyQDBKgOEtwrP6kcw%2Brd9lzxyyuyY%2BQiUWZw2YK8nhv0XWaYIGoGV4KtlBC3FLKUJYopfqiPjux9dh%2BImtmjqQS1cuCecWyI3koYHlRtRNkropKYKSTvGvo%2B8x154xgrGI5DpeZ0SqsiFw4%2FBrTomB8mFWj%2FjigLpD%2F2%2Fy%2FLXwcynYbXReWljPo9ev7lvca8yhdI2TrnQCK8NP2fy5lFXdYi0ozqN5H%2BZTsp8o0eeIKV7SnuKg%3D%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMmJr-ruNf

i do lot of travel out of the road, and sometimes the car hits a lot the ground due the lack of clearance, i know i should have another vehicle for that purpose...

but d like to know wht do you think of these lift kits and if have you ever have any experience....

my two main concern about those lift kids are, aerodynamic and the cv axe,  the kits comes in 20, 30 and 40mm options.

Does not rising the car 40mm (which is very noticeable, visually) affect the aerodynamic and therefore the fuel economy  does it?

and, having the car 400 taller is not a extra stress for the CV axes? (i guess the would be working constantly in a far from straight position, or in a flexed position)

Would definately make a noticeable impact on handling and fuel economy, for the cv axles I think you'd need to look under the car and see how they sit on the car currently.

Are you sure your car isn't sitting low or something, my sdi sat very high and it took a lot of hard driving in fields pretty easily, very seldom was it bottoming out, pic related.

Unless your shocks (and more importantly springs) are pretty new, it could be sitting a bit low compared to what it should be.

Bad shocks will have you bottoming out a lot and springs can sag over time especially with a big diesel lump that our cars have.

image.png.09954ae860095c382238e20bc0820fbe.png

• Like 2

For those type of roads if you have not already done so you could look at smaller diameter wheels with higher ratio sidewall tyres and if speedo, odometer. readings do not matter go a size taller with wheel and tyre combination, would help with the crawling and higher speed cruising.

• Like 1

When I first started driving 70 was a low profile tyre, cannot remember seeing 65, although I believe 60 were available but not on any cars I would see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nta16 said:

When I first started driving 70 was a low profile tyre, cannot remember seeing 65, although I believe 60 were available but not on any cars I would see.

Had to edit that, Nigel. I got my numbers the wrong way around. You'll see the corrected one. :D

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Had to edit that, Nigel. I got my numbers the wrong way around. You'll see the corrected one.

Track size wheel and tyres! 😄

• Like 1

All this talk of wheel diameter and tyre wall aspect ratio's can never resolve the ultimate issue of compromised ground clearance and will just confuse matters if the OP is considering a 40mm lift is required. I assume that the spacers would also upset the camber on the front, throwing the top of the wheel out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

All this talk of wheel diameter and tyre wall aspect ratio's can never resolve the ultimate issue of compromised ground clearance and will just confuse matters if the OP is considering a 40mm lift is required.

I don't think Kharl would find it confusing judging by his previous threads and and posts, it's a related matter not aimed at dealing with ground clearance as there's a lot more to this after Kharl put up his video than just ground clearance and camber and Kharl has been open to ideas in his other threads - but yes you are right they can go outside the strict narrow boundaries of the thread title and original post.

Edited by nta16

10 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

If he is managing with standard suspension, he could just do a 20mm lift

Still gets a little more ground clearance and hopefully not compromise the handling of it too much.

I've join the authorities - delete your thread drift now!

😄  I'm joking, you're reinforcing the point I made, altho' I'd have went further given Kharl's other threads, there seems to me to be quite a bit of difference to Kharl's use of his Fabia to the use the all/vast majority of UK posters here which would be missed unless the video is seen - though our roads could be similar given another few years.

I'm just spectating on this from now so as to keep out of trouble - hoorah they shout.

• Like 1

For what he's using the car for it's not the right car for the job, so whatever he does is going to be nothing more than a compromise.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

If he is managing with standard suspension, he could just do a 20mm lift, slightly fatter tyres and probably a metal sump guard would be wise.

Still gets a little more ground clearance and hopefully not compromise the handling of it too much.

i build a metal guard for the lower part of the engine from a 5mm aluminum piece, about the grip f the tires, i lower the tire pressure to 20psi and thats fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TMB said:

For what he's using the car for it's not the right car for the job, so whatever he does is going to be nothing more than a compromise.

You are right, the car, i make about 6,000k per month, most of them in highways, cruising at 75-90 (and about 2.3-2.9L per 100km, a very small part, maybe 200km of city usage, and about 150km of dirty roads like the one in the video.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kharl said:

about the grip f the tires, i lower the tire pressure to 20psi and thats fine.

Reducing the pressure will reduce the rolling diameter which is like putting on lowering springs. How about more suitable front tyres at full pressure with the best rolling diameter being found from a tyre calculator.

8 hours ago, Kharl said:

i build a metal guard for the lower part of the engine from a 5mm aluminum piece, about the grip f the tires, i lower the tire pressure to 20psi and thats fine.

Was trying to say a fatter tyre would raise the car slightly, if you could get any higher profile tyre on your car.