Engine failure

51 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Seems the cambelt tensioner fell apart, belt shredded, engine dropped its lunch down below

How fragile these things are... 

Come back crossflow pushrod Ford Cortinas

Was it changed at the 5 year interval as recommended by Skoda UK?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

Seems the cambelt tensioner fell apart, belt shredded, engine dropped its lunch down below

Over 25 years ago I had exactly the same thing happen on a Vauxhall Corsa GSi 16V, so this isn't a VAG specific issue. The cambelt tensioner failed one week after a cambelt change (the main dealer replaced the belt but not the tensioner).

We want high compression engines for efficiency, emissions, power, etc and that means having valves that will hit the pistons if incorrectly timed - we can't have our cake and eat it.

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Over 25 years ago I had exactly the same thing happen on a Vauxhall Corsa GSi 16V, so this isn't a VAG specific issue. The cambelt tensioner failed one week after a cambelt change (the main dealer replaced the belt but not the tensioner).

We want high compression engines for efficiency, emissions, power, etc and that means having valves that will hit the pistons if incorrectly timed - we can't have our cake and eat it.

There are non-interference engines out there

For sale Inc 2 year skoda warranty on engine... 

1 hour ago, lichfielddriver said:

Only 3 years old

Hi, very unfortunate, but you say 'only 3 years old' - your profile does say 2015 1.6 TDI. 

On 08/03/2022 at 22:34, roottoot said:

They are not fragile but not 100% bulletproof and not engines with 1 in 5 failures as in your other thread. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/502054-i-am-the-1-in-5

Well let's look at it...

Engine block cast metal

Crank forged and machined

Camshaft solid steel

Crank shells high quality bronze/phosphorous? 

What operates the important valve openings on this interference engine? 

£5 worth of 1" wide nylon webbing as strong as my braces.. 

Another big earner for garages either to replace or fit new engines when they fail.. 

Manufacturers must award designers for the best revenue streams in parts and labour

DMF

DPG

VGT

EGR

Edited by john999boy
Quoted post removed
  • Confused 1

I had a cambelt fail on a 1.8 Sierra turbo diesel, £400 skim head/new valves, back on the road, the 2.5di transit could shed a belt and be running again with a set of cam followers fitted

we are going backwards not forwards

Special Award if anyone can tell me the special secret of the FWD Vauxhall Cavalier (at least the petrol models)

Vauxhall-Cavalier-Mk3-820x547.jpg

Edited by lichfielddriver

37 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

I had a cambelt fail on a 1.8 Sierra turbo diesel, £400 skim head/new valves, back on the road, the 2.5di transit could shed a belt and be running again with a set of cam followers fitted

we are going backwards not forwards

Special Award if anyone can tell me the special secret of the FWD Vauxhall Cavalier (at least the petrol models)

Some of the engines were "cam safe" and would survive a belt fail. I had several Cavaliers through the 80s and had a single failure. Only damage was the oil pump.

I seem to remember that the clutch could be changed without separating the engine and gearbox - very clever. 

10 minutes ago, JD52 said:

Some of the engines were "cam safe" and would survive a belt fail. I had several Cavaliers through the 80s and had a single failure. Only damage was the oil pump.

I seem to remember that the clutch could be changed without separating the engine and gearbox - very clever. 

Thats its trick 

I did mine, £40 job

14 hours ago, JD52 said:

Correct term is interference or non-interference 

13 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Correct term is interference or non-interference 

True, but the term "cam safe" is good for non-technical people and a marketing phrase

15 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

Thats its trick 

I did mine, £40 job

I've still got the "clutch changing kit", ie short slide hammer with adaptor to fit shaft and a set of clips for the clutch - unused, they were bought just in case, but car, a 1991 Cav GSI 4X4 2000 16V, was just too reliable and never ended up needing a new clutch!

On 09/03/2022 at 20:22, lichfielddriver said:

Thats its trick 

I did mine, £40 job

They copied Saab from about 15 years before

On 09/03/2022 at 19:30, lichfielddriver said:

Easy clutch replacement? Access panel in inner wing so that input shafts etc can be removed easily. 

Didn't work with all though - for some reason on the very latest versions they did away with the inner wing access panel! 

In the past I had a Datsun 100a that had a similar clutch arrangement - replaced is less than 20 minutes even as a one off DIY.

Edited by bigjohn