vRS Engine Cover Recall

12 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Besides the fact that I am not fan of leaving the top engine side so unprotected, one of my concerns was and is that one, that there is the potential risk of not being called by Skoda for the new part ... so that's the reason why I still have the old part fitted.

There is nothing to protect there. You should just remove it yourself and keep it until they give you a new one. If this ****ty one sets your car on fire your insurance might deny the claim, since Skoda has informed you about a recall. 

55 minutes ago, zetzet said:

There is nothing to protect there. You should just remove it yourself and keep it until they give you a new one. If this ****ty one sets your car on fire your insurance might deny the claim, since Skoda has informed you about a recall. 

Not arguing, but do you think the purpose of the cover is just cosmetic?

If you really care, 

The dealerships got paid to carry out the Safety Critical DVLA official job on behalf of Skoda / VW UK.  They were the agent.

Do not expect a Service Desk Person or Service Manager to tell you much unless their boss, dealer principal is getting ready to earn more for the Dealership / Dealership group with a 'RECALL', and letting Registered owners know to 'Come on down'.

Ask Skoda / VW UK when they are replacing your paid for part. Ask in writing.  

Remember it is this crowd that deal with stuff, but tell them if they do not know to get onto the Skoda / VW CEO, or one of their minions from the Senior Team'. 

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg.59c8e70155a4cf78e8950a1f2f6ef6be.jpg

870001910_Screenshot2023-01-0913_33_56.jpg.1f280cf19f68232da039c11a127bd6d9.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Haha 1

On 18/01/2023 at 23:29, zetzet said:

Thanks @zetzet for your kind recommendation, but I think I will keep the cover as it is until the replacement day arrives ... if it arrives one day, because seem that they are not as focus to provide new covers as they were to remove them.

• 1 month later...

Well ... pushed a little bit by my faith on the new cover already available without notice .. I went yesterday to the dealer for this and ... Error ! car was delivered without the cover.

Had a "funny" argument with the two front desk guys and, long story short, they do not care about the client once the cover is removed; risk is closed for VW group ... therefore, problem solved. Soooo ... I am going to do it my way. 

I want to keep it in a budget, wanna put cash on the downpipe after ECU remap, so I bought a used 06k103925dd/de/df part from a VW Passat B8 2.0 TSI. After checking @bigreddognz photos (Thanks a lot for the top notch quality!) the part should work, locking points are in the same position. 

After the exhaustive photo comparison, just two remarks from EU vs NZ versions:

- Do you know why the oil fill cap is located on the exhaust camshaft position in NZ version whilst in EU is on the inlet position?

- Do you know why the turbo is located in a lower position in NZ version? I am missing the O2 sensor in the downpipe collar ... I guess it is due to different emission regulation ... but the lower position? 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 12:00, Mario_Delgado said:

Well ... pushed a little bit by my faith on the new cover already available without notice .. I went yesterday to the dealer for this and ... Error ! car was delivered without the cover.

Had a "funny" argument with the two front desk guys and, long story short, they do not care about the client once the cover is removed; risk is closed for VW group ... therefore, problem solved. Soooo ... I am going to do it my way. 

I want to keep it in a budget, wanna put cash on the downpipe after ECU remap, so I bought a used 06k103925dd/de/df part from a VW Passat B8 2.0 TSI. After checking @bigreddognz photos (Thanks a lot for the top notch quality!) the part should work, locking points are in the same position. 

After the exhaustive photo comparison, just two remarks from EU vs NZ versions:

- Do you know why the oil fill cap is located on the exhaust camshaft position in NZ version whilst in EU is on the inlet position?

- Do you know why the turbo is located in a lower position in NZ version? I am missing the O2 sensor in the downpipe collar ... I guess it is due to different emission regulation ... but the lower position? 

Looks like in NZ they still have the gen3 engines. Like for example in the South Africa. 
Here is the comment from Racingline Performance from Facebook discussing about differences between gen3 and gen4 engines.

image.png.bae13b1ba16e2f2468618e8c79894eee.png

12 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Looks like in NZ they still have the gen3 engines. Like for example in the South Africa. 
Here is the comment from Racingline Performance from Facebook discussing about differences between gen3 and gen4 engines.

image.png.bae13b1ba16e2f2468618e8c79894eee.png

Then they do not have DNPA engines but DKTB … Therefore ECUs I guess they are different, not the SImos 19.6  but the 18 ... Interesting. 

Answering @Hairy_Joe if you go to Skoda with for VIN they will tell you that the part is not compatible, at least that's what they told me. I do not have full access to erWin, so I am not able to double check. 

• Like 2

And there it is:

1677165041623.thumb.jpg.a3c8a599848b89f330351a83baa7d63e.jpg

It fits like a glove. There is waaaay more clearance in the back side with the turbo and downpipe than with the original one. No clashes with the upper part of the engine but the engine tap is hidden any time so, If you want to put oil in, you have to remove the cover ... 4 seconds movement. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mario_Delgado said:

And there it is:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/64980a09945e107f0bdf21b0c1c8460c1e85e844458fcfe9461ae2fc0480b0f6/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/1677165041623.thumb.jpg.a3c8a599848b89f330351a83baa7d63e.jpg

It fits like a glove. There is waaaay more clearance in the back side with the turbo and downpipe than with the original one. No clashes with the upper part of the engine but the engine tap is hidden any time so, If you want to put oil in, you have to remove the cover ... 4 seconds movement. 

Looks good. How much did that cost you?

6 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

And there it is:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/cb421ab56d49fc04a6d2fbf879208cc19ddd9d51c205cc494b6b8fa6c0c7be3b/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/1677165041623.thumb.jpg.a3c8a599848b89f330351a83baa7d63e.jpg

Looks a lot better with the engine cover, don't see why we should have to buy one though...

That's it, Racingline air intake with pleated cotton filter + turbo inlet. 

The cover was bought online to a spare parts company in Holland. It came in a very mint condition, more than happy with my purchase. Now that it's known that it works (With its assumptions, btw), you could go to check the availability of the part to any of the VW replacement parts shop if you want to roll with a cover on. Online I see it's available here, more expensive though: https://www.oemvwshop.com/06k103925df-cover-p2291869/

Funny thing is that online that the part is already listed as compatible with Octavia mk4 (NN 2020 -) but the DNPA code is not in the engine spec table … so I assume that the fact of having the oil tap covered means not compatible part. I did a brief check and all engine codes from the table have the oil tap on the exhaust camshaft side. 

• Like 3

On 03/03/2023 at 17:29, Hairy_Joe said:

Well, I dropped the VRS TSi down to the dealer for a small job and I came out to find a cover fitted. I had none from new.

I tried to pull it up to see part numbers but it's all sponge. There's no hard shell on top to grab. As it's sponge, I tried to pull but it just bent. I chickened out when pulling it....

As an aside, I've been told that it's months of back order for the fabric panel that clips onto the underside of the bonnet.

PXL_20230303_160818439.jpg

Wow ... that's weird. Either they have improved the fixing points and assigned a new reference code for the part or I would bet a finger that's the original part, the one it's intended to be removed ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

For all that are interested.

I asked skoda-parts.com about their engine cover which they have in offer for the 2.0 TSI engines.

Their final reply:
"I've dig some more, and the first part was 06Q103925, then 06Q103925K, both are affected and cannot be used. The "L" revision is the one which is current and safe."

Part number 06Q 103 925 L
https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/06q103925l-top-engine-cover-skoda-45757.html

• Thanks 1