Suspension Knock

JamesStam

Hi all,

Purchased a MY19 Karoq SE 1.6tdi yesterday. Really like the car.

However, typically on getting home, I heard a knock from within the cabin that happens when going over bumps in the road at low speeds (10/20/30mph).

The noise appears to happen when either front wheel goes over a bump.

It can be heard outside but you have to listen carefully....

Any ideas anyone?

I'll call the dealer in due course.

Thanks,

James

Best ASAP since you got it yesterday.

Even try going into a Tyre & Exhaust centre today and ask if they can have a look because you hear a knock.

No need to allow them to touch anything but just let you know if they see anything.  

They might even spot a broken spring.  They might not be well trained but they might be as well trained & even have better eye sight as whoever did the safety inspection on your car before you collected it.

PS

Check the tyre pressures if you have not already just to see what the Fitter or Tech put them to before a Used Car was collected, 

and reset the TPMS once you have, even if leaving them as they are.

That might give an idea of how they do sales car prep.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesStam said:

Any ideas anyone?

As above.

Anti roll bar drop link / stabiliser bar link.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies all.

The car is booked in for Skoda diagnosis next week.

Meanwhile, I recorded some videos from underneath where the sound is much clearer.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

James

Just now, mistac said:

All that  now now now etc - was Beginning to wonder what was going on 😀😀😀

LOL - yes I lost the plot some time ago and no, you didn't click on a dodgy version of YouTube.

Roger Moore must have visited the woman in the flat next door to me because she would keep me awake at night saying his name!

21 hours ago, JamesStam said:

Any other ideas?

Grab the driveshaft that is in the videos and check for movement.

Try twisting the shaft both ways, and pulling/pushing, in/out, up and down.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By way of an update;

- managed to have a real good look with my dad and can't find any play in anything whatsoever.

- sounds like the noise is coming through the shock absorber itself and can be felt through the central bolt at the top.

- took it to Skoda for diagnosis and they diagnosed leaking shocks. They can't find any play or faults in anything else.

- slightly annoying as I've just bought it but trying to sort that out with the dealership.

Anyone had any experience with leaky shocks knocking? 

Quote to change both at Skoda was 773 all in.

James.

Knocking is usually the top bearing seized, my recently fitted one has just failed but there would normally need to be steering rotation at the same time, now mine has got worse it is knocking with suspension movement without steering rotation, - but it will have been pre-loaded by previous steering movement and when the some weight is removed from the strut the bearing jumps.

If left like that for a very long time the rubber to metal bonded top mount will fail from the flexing making its own knocking, perhaps yours is at that stage.

The easy way to check for bearing failure is to have the engine running for the power steering, get someone to turn the wheel from lock to lock while you look down at the (hopefully) good strut, the strut will rotate smoothly, on the other side with (I propose) the bad bearing you will see the rubber distort, then jump round, this will be repeated in a series of jerks which you can feel and if you jack up the body a bit on that side to unload the strut you will probably hear the noise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

while you look down

Looking down at the strut top from under the bonnet not looking up from underneath, you will be looking at the inner part of the top mount indicated in blue.

You could try turning the steering while weight in on that strut while looking or filming upwards, the top of the spring should rotate freely with the strut and not wind up then jerk repeatedly.

Maybe its the angle of the photo but I cannot actually see the top bearing between the spring and the top mount and I have one in my hand for comparison.

Could it/they be missing? Have the springs, struts or top mounts been replaced in the past?

It is possible that the Karoq has a different set up to the common parts used on all the other models so may not have a seperate bearing.

Edited by J.R.

Sounds like a top mount.....there is a modified top mount available, my 2020 has just had both. No noise but sloppy handling. 

How did Skoda diagnose it? did they put it on a ramp or pit? did they jack it up and use the MOT heel bar under the wheel?....you would hear the top mount with a heel bar. 

pop it along to a local garage and ask if they can do the above? raise the wheel 2" of the floor and with a large lever (heel) bar shake the wheel up and down. as the suspension is unloaded you will hear it easily

• Like 2

Looking at your profile signature and seeing that the car is 2013 I would say that spring with its intact part number label has been fitted quite recently, perhaps like me they bought what was advertised as top mounts & bearings & recieved only the mounts, they either didn't realise or found out after stripping down so put it back together without?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Looking at your profile signature and seeing that the car is 2013 I would say that spring with its intact part number label has been fitted quite recently, perhaps like me they bought what was advertised as top mounts & bearings & recieved only the mounts, they either didn't realise or found out after stripping down so put it back together without?

Sorry to mislead. Previously Octavia 2013 but the suspension issue is with a 2019 Karoq.

3 hours ago, MrAdamwood said:

Sounds like a top mount.....there is a modified top mount available, my 2020 has just had both. No noise but sloppy handling. 

How did Skoda diagnose it? did they put it on a ramp or pit? did they jack it up and use the MOT heel bar under the wheel?....you would hear the top mount with a heel bar. 

pop it along to a local garage and ask if they can do the above? raise the wheel 2" of the floor and with a large lever (heel) bar shake the wheel up and down. as the suspension is unloaded you will hear it easily

Not entirely sure what Skoda did other than diagnose leaking shocks which I'm trying to sort. 

I will certainly give your method a go. Very sensible and helpful reply, thank you very much indeed.

Hi all,

Had a go at a few things this weekend.

Jacked up the driver's side at the jacking point (both sides are knocking) and let the wheel hang freely. Used a spade as a lever to lift the wheel to lift the wheel up and down from underneath.

Can't tell if that up/down play should be there. It wasn't the shock compressing as far as I can tell. The noise from inside the cabin sounded like a thud rather than a knock but the noise could be different with the suspension unloaded.

From above, it was also difficult to see any play but a thud could be heard.

JR - the bearing does rotate freely when not under load....

However, I did turn the steering wheel lock to lock (when on a hill) and heard the same knocking clear as day. ( No video).

Hmmm... Local(ish) wise mechanic needed I think.

• 3 months later...

Yes - local mechanic had it on ramps and couldnt find anything at all.  I bounced the car for him off the ramps and demonstrated the knock which can be felt through the top of the shocks.

He THINKS it's the shocks.

There's been a huge delay with top mounts (Skoda) then shocks (TPS). Both arrived about 3 weeks ago but the mechanic back log is enormous. Both are being changed on Monday. We'll see what happens.

• Thanks 1

Possibly the valve - although he's never had the problem on a VAR he said it's incredibly common on Peugeots. I suppose that'll never be known unless they're stripped (if the problem goes when changed). I've spent hours doing what I can and I must admit it "feels" to me it's in the top of the shock / top mount area. We'll see.