Haldex filter and oil change

So today I got my Haldex serviced by a local independent workshop. I bought the service kit from Auto Fault Finder. This is what the old filter that came out looked like:

image.thumb.jpeg.e153cea74ebf820622d56d1ebde76b87.jpeg

Pretty manky looking and gummed up. My car has just over 66k miles on the odo, and has had its Haldex “serviced” by Škoda main dealers twice - the last time just after I bought the car in September last year. 
The reason I use inverted commas around the word serviced is because of Škoda’s corporate attitude towards this task. Despite showing the Service Manager pictures of where it was located and emailing a video link to a clip of how to do it, he resolutely maintained that there wasn’t a filter fitted to my vehicle.

So, the recommended service interval for this item is 30k miles. I’ll give it to the independent to do it from now on. I wonder how many people - following their main dealer’s advice in good faith - have had Haldex failures as a result of this corporate policy? 

Anyway, if you have a Haldex fitted to your car, you should probably be aware of this…

Cheers,

Mike 😎

• Like 3

21 hours ago, gsmdo said:

So today I got my Haldex serviced by a local independent workshop. I bought the service kit from Auto Fault Finder. This is what the old filter that came out looked like:

Pretty manky looking and gummed up. My car has just over 66k miles on the odo, and has had its Haldex “serviced” by Škoda main dealers twice - the last time just after I bought the car in September last year. 
The reason I use inverted commas around the word serviced is because of Škoda’s corporate attitude towards this task. Despite showing the Service Manager pictures of where it was located and emailing a video link to a clip of how to do it, he resolutely maintained that there wasn’t a filter fitted to my vehicle.

So, the recommended service interval for this item is 30k miles. I’ll give it to the independent to do it from now on. I wonder how many people - following their main dealer’s advice in good faith - have had Haldex failures as a result of this corporate policy? 

Anyway, if you have a Haldex fitted to your car, you should probably be aware of this…

Cheers,

Mike 😎

Spot on Mike.  I am one of those owners who had the Haldex pump fail despite rigorously sticking to the Skoda servicing requirements.

It was only after the pump failed (when I had assumed servicing was being done correctly) that I found the Haldex Repairs website and the truth became clear.

I too had the discussion with my local Skoda dealer and they were adamant that it wasn't in the 'system' and isn't a part they recognised.  Hence all they do is drop the fluid and refill with new.  Pointless when the filter and pump strainer are blocking up.

I now get an independant to do mine every 20k or 2 years approx as I really don't want the cost and hassle of another pump replacement.

The same place did the repairs and I bought the pump, filter etc from the supplier you mention.

The Haldex servicing nonsense is almost on a par with the emissions scandal, plenty of Haldex equipped Skoda's out there that will likely be knackered.....

As you can guess I am pretty bitter about the whole thing lol !

Great post and I hope others pick up on it.

Cheers

• Like 2