67 Plate 1.4TSI Cambelt change

My car is going in for its last service I got free with the car. Its a major service I'm told and mileage is just under 52000. I've also had a message from the dealer to say that come October 2022 the cambelt will need replacing, so 5 years only 52000 miles.

I guess mileage is irrelevant and its age thats critical.

There has been much discussion (and many opinions) on this topic.

Skoda UK recommend a cambelt change after 5 years but other importers recommend longer intervals or even no planned change since VW originally said that the cambelt on the EA211 was "lifetime".

So I guess it all depends on your attitude to risk, this is an interference engine so if the cambelt snaps or jumps valves will hit pistons and a big bill will result.

I'm risk averse so I bit the bullet and had the cambelt changed at the 5 year service on my previous Octavia 1.4TSI.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

There has been much discussion (and many opinions) on this topic.

Skoda UK recommend a cambelt change after 5 years but other importers recommend longer intervals or even no planned change since VW originally said that the cambelt on the EA211 was "lifetime".

So I guess it all depends on your attitude to risk, this is an interference engine so if the cambelt snaps or jumps valves will hit pistons and a big bill will result.

I'm risk averse so I bit the bullet and had the cambelt changed at the 5 year service on my previous Octavia 1.4TSI.

Yeah just taken mine in for major service at my local Skoda dealer and been quoted £500 for the cam belt change. Guess I will not be going to a Skoda dealer at that price. What price was yours if you dont mind me asking.

6 minutes ago, FrankNicklin said:

Yeah just taken mine in for major service at my local Skoda dealer and been quoted £500 for the cam belt change. Guess I will not be going to a Skoda dealer at that price. What price was yours if you dont mind me asking.

Service plus cambelt change (refused the water pump change as it's on the other end of the engine on the EA211 and doesn't need changing at the same time) was £568 in 2020 at Marshalls in Barnstaple.

Edited by PetrolDave

39 minutes ago, FrankNicklin said:

I'll take note of the Water pump and see if they say thats included.

I refused it on the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!

• Like 1

^^^ Fair enough.

If one does break then people crap themselves at the cost of a fix. 

Not that they do very often but then you decide, 'Do you feel lucky'. 

The difference might be have you had the car from new and know how and where driven or is the car a 'Pre loved' / Used / Fleet / Lease vehicle. 

• Like 1

I'd say 500 in modern times is about right. Plenty reports of dealers quoting near double that but you'd be lucky to find somewhere to do it for must less.

• Like 1

My Octavia is due the Cam Belt change this November.

Is it right that the Water Pump is now no longer driven by the Cam Belt on 67 plate models (mine is a 1.5 TSi DSG ACT registered as new in November 2017)?

If the Water Pump is not driven by the Cam Belt does the WP need to be changed?

I’ve had the dealer confirm on the 1.4 the price is £500 and does not include the WP as it is on the other end of the engine. I was going to argue the point about the WP not being required but it wasn’t included anyway. Apparently the true full price of the cam belt change is over £700. They actually gave me the parts list and prices and this came to £271.53 so the rest is Labour quoted at 3.8 hours for the work. But £500 it is.

Edited by FrankNicklin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, YMe said:

My Octavia is due the Cam Belt change this November.

Is it right that the Water Pump is now no longer driven by the Cam Belt on 67 plate models (mine is a 1.5 TSi DSG ACT registered as new in November 2017)?

If the Water Pump is not driven by the Cam Belt does the WP need to be changed?

On the EA211 (1.4 & 1.5) the water pump has never been driven by the cambelt, it simply can't be as the water pump is on the other end of the engine!

The reasons the water pump is changed at the same time as the cambelt on other engines, such as the 2.0, is that it gets disturbed during the cambelt change and there was a problem in earlier engines so it made sense to do a preventative change.

With some of the TDIs, the question was often "Should the cambelt be changed at the same time as the water pump?", because the pump often failed before the belt was due for replacement. See the sticky thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453298-the-mk3-octavia-tdi-water-pump-thread/

On 23/07/2022 at 08:12, PetrolDave said:

The reasons the water pump is changed at the same time as the cambelt on other engines, such as the 2.0, is that it gets disturbed during the cambelt change and there was a problem in earlier engines so it made sense to do a preventative change.

Take note that you mean the 2.0 tdi as they also suffered with leaky water pumps.

The 1.4/1.5/2.0 tsi are all not driven by any kind of cambelt/chain so dont need changing at the same rates. 

Also to anyone comparing the price of a 1.4/1.5 tsi cambelt change, just remember that if you have a hybrid then the price will be more as i believe to get to the end and lock the engine up a lot more bits need removing. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...