Car accelerates quickly when cold and has a high idle if you switch off when cold and restart

hetty1

Hello,

My 2021 Fabia 3 estate accelerates quite hard when its cold. I reverse off my drive and its what I would expect, acceleration is normal. When I put it into first gear then quickly into 2nd it really goes at a fair rate of knots, I should add that I live at the top of a cul de sac and there is a right turn to the main road and   it gets up to 15/20 mph without me using the accelerator at all. I usually end up having to brake before the right turn and this is new behaviour to me. iF i didnt brake I would make the turn at too high a speed for my liking. With previous cars including previous Fabias the car has been sluggish doing the same thing, changing up into second etc, no more than 5 to 10mph.

I also have something I havent had in previous cars. When I first start up from cold the revs are 1500rpm. if I switch off after a short while but before the coolant reaches 90 C  the revs are again 1500 rpm. With previous cars in the same circumstances the revs would remain at between 600 and 700 rpm.

I do not regard  these things a faults but I am keen to know what causes them. I think my Fabia 3 has anti stall technology; is that correct? Is that why the revs are so high if i switch off then restart before operating temp is reached? Does it also explain the initial strong acceleration when cold?

Thanks for reading.

Sorry, I should have specified what model. It is   not a TDI, it is a   petrol TSI estate , Thanks for posting..

EDIT.

Previously.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505574-thoughts-on-the-1-litrre-3-cylinder-95-bhp-engine-in-a-fabia-tsi-estate-including-tickover-speed-and-engine-oil-plus-anything-else-anyone

@hetty1

If your car is a 1.0TSI and has a DSG it would be handy if you said that. 

Or is it a manual?

EDIT.

I see a manual from the previous thread, 

?

Are you sure it is as high as 1,500 then dropping? 

1,200 rpm then dropping to around 800 within a minute would be usual.     (Like i expect your mk2 TSI did.)

This car has a cat to heat and a GPF and is doing what it has to, but 1,500 seems high to me. 

*If the car feels unsafe and like it is running away from you if you are not using the brakes from a cold start you have best get out for a drive with a technician and demonstrate to them what it is doing. IMO.*

That is no use come winter roads / ice / snow. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

@hetty1 , I hope this might help for future posts, it can sometimes help to have the model details shown in the bit on the l/h/s of each post, I’ve no idea what that bit is called, it’s the bit with your posting 'name'.

I don’t think this info is shown on all devices to all viewers but you only have to enter the info once (and change as required) so worth the effort I think.

The following helped another poster get the details on display. –

• click on your 'name', very top right of this page
  • on the drop menu that appears click on 'Profile'
  • click on the black box 'Edit Profile'
  • scroll down to 'Car Info'
  • enter details
  • click on green box 'Save'.

This might save you having to repeat some information and tell some the details without having to ask or be referring to a different something not with your car.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this. The gasoline particulate filter ( GPF)  has been mentioned more than once  as a possible contributor and mention has been made of the GPF warning light that will come on if there is a problem with this filter. This warning light has never come on since I have owned the car including when I get this current issue. So presumably, unless the warning light  itself is inoperative for whatever reason the problem does not lie with the GPF??

The right turn I mentioned in my post often has vehicles parked close to the turn and  I always try to take it slowly and carefully because you cannot see traffic coming from the main road. Factoring in the parked vehicles means too high a speed could cause an accident, albeit a minor one

I have contacted the workshop supervisor to see if this has been reported before and what action was taken and whether it needs to go in to be checked.

• Like 1

The light won't come on until 55% loading, but regeneration can occur from just 15%.

Also the GPF will do a self-test every 2,000km regardless of soot capacity.

Question, just before you turn off you engine, what is the idle revs?  If the car has not completed a regen cycle before you turn off, it will start the moment you start the car.

• Like 2

hetty1, yep, well done. 👍

For the car, do not rely on waiting for any warnings from the car's computers, prevention is better than cure, often by the time you get these it's just a historical report, use your experience, intelligence and senses.

My wife's 2015 Fabia has been late putting up warning messages, and also put up an erroneous message, but as we are used to cars from the 1960s and '70s we're used to not relying on car computers and thinking there are buttons on the dash to clear all car and driving problems.

You are driving the car so if you want or need to brake then do so, and changing down a gear will mean the 1,500 revs will drop the road speed if you don't touch the accelerator, you can also be braking.

The car's systems require the type of driving that has always been required at times with how some cars were used but now the effects demand more attention.  Cars that were always pootled around and/or always run on relatively short distances needed blow-out (Italian tune-ups) runs but just clogged themselves up quietly until hopefully some release at servicing, with accumulative effects over the years.  Plus the driving style for fuel economy (and emissions) was encouraged and pushed.

What you have to bear in mind is that the car engine is very ancient technology and even throwing electronics and computer programs at it only advances it so much from its beginnings and the advances on mpg and emissions have been stretched so thin that more gains come with so much complexity as they have for a good number of years already.  The cars are also bigger and heavier with wide wheels and tyres so putting more burden on getting further gains.

Edited by nta16
spelling

The following relates to when the warning has come on but gives an idea of the type of, not necessarily exactly same, driving style needed before and to prevent the warning light.  Obviously it goes a bit against the advice in the same book about economical driving, going at 50 mph at 3,000-5,000 rpm for up to half an hour, this is not how many are used to driving particularly "small" cars or "small" engines.

From the digital Owner's Manual, issue date of 14.6.2021. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

jijjij.jpg.a310164fde7fda9b447ca6ba0e43e938.jpg

• 1 year later...