DSG in emergency mode in the cold

Atakeris

Hello,

Half a year ago, I bought a second-hand 2017 Kodiaq and when the cold kicked in this winter, my transmision went into "emergency mode: no reverse gear". It happened twice and intermittently. After a few resets (shut down the car and than start it back up), the error goes away and I can drive normally. No strange noises or problems shifting gears otherwise.

Coincidence or not, I've also started getting "start and stop system error".

Could these be linked? Maybe a battery problem?

Since the car is not under warranty, I'm afraid of the worst scenario. 

Have you guys had this problem and been able to solve it software-wise? It doesn't seem like a mechanical malfunction, but what do I know...

I'm reluctant to take it to Skoda's official repair shop because I've seen so many stories here when they don't even bother and go ahead and replace the entire transmission—which would set me back a TON of money.

Thanks in advance.

I know nowt about this issue, but given the age of your vehicle, I'd be inclined to give it a gearbox service (see chart at 40K miles) as a starting point, and while it's in for the service, get the fault codes checked out. Some DSGs (DQ381 for example) say they don't need a service until 80K, but I won't be leaving it that long on my car.

I'd also be inclined to go to a VAG independent rather than a main dealer, but that's a personal preference.

1401926920_ServiceCosts2021.thumb.PNG.a3348f62d6ea5759f262fac1961d6e73.PNG

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

I know nowt about this issue, but given the age of your vehicle, I'd be inclined to give it a gearbox service (see chart at 40K miles) as a starting point, and while it's in for the service, get the fault codes checked out. Some DSGs (DQ381 for example) say they don't need a service until 80K, but I won't be leaving it that long on my car.

I'd also be inclined to go to a VAG independent rather than a main dealer, but that's a personal preference.

1401926920_ServiceCosts2021.thumb.PNG.a3348f62d6ea5759f262fac1961d6e73.PNG

Great chart, thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum.

Stay away from Independents with a DQ381 for early servicing of them.  Or even to recommended servicing / oil changes.

That is until VW Group get their act together and accept there might be snagging issues or fundamental design or manufacturing faults.

Until they extend the warranty until maybe 80,000 or 100,000 miles, 8 years or even 10 years on these DSG's.

*Have a Main Dealer / Authorised Repairer service it, get that sort of protection of it being 'VW Trained Technicians or fitters' if things go wrong.*

They are not much more expensive than an Independent who might have the gear and an idea, they might have the gear and little idea but they know a man / woman that should have, and a hot line to VW, Skoda, Audi, SEAT Engineers. 

So have Serviced to Manufacturers Recommendations, Schedule or Guidelines, even Spec.  Or early if you want at a Main Dealership.

That is until they maybe want to reconsider those Schedules, Guidelines, Recommendations, Suggestions, Guessing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508475-gearbox-dq381-in-emergency-mode see post by @varooom

That one is a DQ381.  Octavia not a Kodiaq.  But the issues are starting to appear with them in what ever VW Group models.

Maybe few and far between, but early days, years, miles/km's.

People only come to forums,when issues etc etc.  Well that is often the only way people find out that 'They do not all do that' or 'Should not all do that', 

or that people tell Main Dealership staff so that nobody can say 'Never heard of that before', or never seen that.  Out of warranty so get out your wallet.

396170444_1405220667_Screenshot2020-10-16at17_25_09(1).jpg.329efe0695a8a0f4fa8725c4326b07a0.jpg.261327afafc0a4d91b2a6516585b45f1.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get this sorted?

The first port of call is to read the fault codes logged and stored inbthe car's brain, this is usually what any independent garage or main dealer would do. These codes are unlikely to fully diagnose the fault, but they will at least give you an idea where to start.

Unfortuantely the loss of gears on the DSG is rarely a good thing, often hinting at a faulty mechatronics unit (the electronic brain of the complex DSG gearbox), which invariably means a big bill. But that's worst case, it might also be something much simpler and less expensive - this is why reading the fault codes is important rather than trying to guess.

The 'stop start error' might be related, quite often the failure of one system will result in the unavailability of others, but again the fault codes will help to link or separate the issues.

Any reputable garage should quote your their initial diagnostic rates or hourly labour rates as their minimum charge, and not replace parts or incur any additional costs to you without first gaining your permission to proceed, this is even more likely at a franchised main dealer, although their rates will be higher.

There are numerous recalls, service bulletins and TPI's associated with the DSG and mechatronics, if you did decide to take it to a Skoda dealer, even though your vehicle is out of warranty, you maybe eligible for an offer of goodwill towards the repair costs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the "Gearbox in emergency mode" problem last September. It happened while we were hundreds of miles from home but would reset when the engine was turned off for a few minutes. It would come back if the engine was worked hard. Got it booked it in at the main dealer when we got home and was quoted £86 (I think) for diagnostics if they didn't find anything. When it went in, they had found fault code logged (which meant I didn't have to pay the diagnostic fee) and they had already spoken to Skoda UK before they spoke to me. It's obviously a known issue as Skoda had already offered to pay 100% of parts cost (many hundreds) and 60% labour to replace the mechatronic unit. It was a special order part and took about 3 or 4 weeks to come in but got it fixed for less than £200 cost to me.

• Thanks 1

The manufacturers warranty might only be 3 years, but that cost to you might get refunded come time.

VW Group know well by now there are DQ381 issues. 

Anyone needs to be sure to have a Warranty covering the DSG's after the manufacturers one expires.

& consider Oil Services of a DQ381 long before 80,000 miles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510461-what-dsg-box-do-i-have

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/02/2023 at 20:53, DryAsSticks said:

I had the "Gearbox in emergency mode" problem last September. It happened while we were hundreds of miles from home but would reset when the engine was turned off for a few minutes. It would come back if the engine was worked hard. Got it booked it in at the main dealer when we got home and was quoted £86 (I think) for diagnostics if they didn't find anything. When it went in, they had found fault code logged (which meant I didn't have to pay the diagnostic fee) and they had already spoken to Skoda UK before they spoke to me. It's obviously a known issue as Skoda had already offered to pay 100% of parts cost (many hundreds) and 60% labour to replace the mechatronic unit. It was a special order part and took about 3 or 4 weeks to come in but got it fixed for less than £200 cost to me.

Wow, good for you! Just to be clear, was your car out of warrant already? How many miles did it have on the clock at the time of the transmission failure?

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 13:55, Atakeris said:

Wow, good for you! Just to be clear, was your car out of warrant already? How many miles did it have on the clock at the time of the transmission failure?

Sorry, just spotted your reply.

Yes car was out of warranty. It was over 4 years old at the time without any extension. Mileage was about 38k I think.