three cylinder engine overheating causing valve failure

bollard

took our fabia to a local garage with an engine management issue, the car has done 20K miles and is just out of warranty. it was a failed spark plug - a great relief as i was expecting a huge bill.

i conveyed my relief to the mechanic who raised an eyebrow and said the engine was prone to the above, ie the middle cylinder overheating so i might expect a £1K bill on that in the future, he said it was a design fault on the cooling arrangement.

has anybody else hear this please?

• Confused 1

?

What is your engine, is it a 1.0 TSI or a MPI.?

I am really surprised to hear these engines are prone to this. 

It is the first one reported on here.  Nit seen any talked about on any other forums either.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486469-spark-plugs

The 1.4 TDI Euro 6 is another matter, the pinned thread on that is at the top of this section.

Edited by toot

thanks toot - it is a 1 litre engine, TSi Se.

the mechanic said that they had a number of these engines with the overheated issue and showed me a fractured valve removed from one

he said that it is a design fault that did not allow sufficient cooling to the middle cylinder and those they had in were around 50K miles. He also felt that the cars that suffered from this problem had been used for relatively short trips.

If this is common which it would have to be for them to have had in a number of them like yours, 

so from 2018 with a GPF, then you would expect a Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi Main Dealerships to see many more.

That means time for a TPI on them. Maybe advice on checking spark plugs sooner than they are showing on the Manufacturers Recommendations, Guidelines, or even schedule. 

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

@bollard

It will be interesting to know what the spark plugs that are being changed at 40,000 miles on cars that have done that look like.

They should not be still the OE fitment at 50,000 miles.

The 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twincharger issue right from 2009 was one spark plug getting fouled with oil, a carbon build up and the spark plug getting cooked.

That is the inlet manifold design causing an issue, and engine management.

Edited by toot

@bollardHow much were you for changing the spark plugs, and was there more servicing done?

?

Did you get the spark plug that was expiring prematurely? 

With Twinchargers this is what happened to one spark plug in some engines at as soon as 20,000 miles.

This was the reason as many as 20% of the engines 2009-2012 were replaced.  Like for like and some of those failed.

post-86161-0-95794600-1483521097.jpg

5996b3e106f40_DensoVSNKGIR.jpg.b78f9be1afe81e8cf54213d2955755e4.jpg.9f3ae509da3a984c700b6652872da539.jpg

post-124982-0-73138000-1418736903.jpg.5676e174cf622454125a9963fb67f5cb.jpg.a30718ebb2d956c50c7369d63846a3c9.jpg

post-90108-0-52290900-1360794795.jpg.d58276218a1d81d1a57c32aa71a38a92.jpg.32fa1cdbc2e3aaeb7d5c287f1b2cdb27.jpg

Edited by toot

26 minutes ago, toot said:

Maybe @varooomcould have a look see if there is any TPI's regarding this.

Couldn't find one in my collection, needs online if there are troubles.

If that is the EA211 Series engine, then they have the manifold integrated inside the cylinder head, water cooled.  Could be a future issue, or maybe that has been designed out now/fixed.

• Like 1

thanks again, bill was £165 - time taken to investigate fault apparently, eliminate coils as a suspect and this would have been more at a dealership for sure plus the long wait to book in at a dealership round here. no i haven't either got or seen the offending plug but i trust the garage.

• Thanks 1

The coil can fail prematurely when a spark plug is overheating.

The diagnosis really required taking out the 3 spark plugs and inspecting them and seeing the supposedly overheated one.

Really £165 is a p!ss take for 40 minutes labour, 3 plugs and VAT IMO.   

The Main Dealer Fixed Price is £60 for the First 30 minutes of a diagnosis and Spark Plugs £105.  

That is £105 if 3 or if 4.  That is also a rip off. 

Last years Fixed Prices

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.03b06c85571b53b664b7942fca3ad3bc.webp.f393ed8c476db32331ff95a994fd58a3.webp

Edited by toot

Not exactly the same but I have changed the spark plugs in both my 1.2 TSI four cylinder Fabia and my 1.0 MPI three cylinder Citigo.

All the plugs that came out looked the good and all looked the same.

Thanks. AG Falco

• 2 weeks later...

As i understand it this issue affected  Mark 3Fabias made between 2018 and 2020?  It was too dark outside when I first  read the post to be able to get the VIN and check it out against the list of Skoda recalls . I will do this  tomorrow and will post the answer.  My car has done  just over1400O miles. I certainly have not had a letter from Skoda to inform me about any recall but I am well aware that this doesnt always mean a great deal.. My car was first registered March 2021 so obviously it was built before then.  I have got the original paperwork and it is a date in January or   February 2021 from memory but, again, I will look tomorrow,

As this is an overheating issue you would hope that you would get some help from the coolant temperature gauge but mine never goes over 90C even in really heavy traffic. I was in a traffic jam last week where the M54 merges with the M6 and that lasted for half an hour or more and the gauge didnt rise at all   which did surprise me. If the gauge isnt much help that only leaves checking the plugs regularly but then how often should that need to be done? Weekly, monthly or something else

Thanks for reading. 

@hetty1I do not think there will be an issue with your spark plugs, or 1 of them.

Do not go removing ignition coils and spark plugs monthly or anything like that. 

If you keep the V5C in the house the VIN is on that if you want to check.

The Skoda VIN checker is unreliable, and there are Service Campaign / Recall Actions that do not appear.  

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

If there was or is a TPI regarding your car a main dealer should or might pick up on it. 

If there is a Recall as in a proper RECALL the Registered Keepers should be informed.

Those that have a car with the Recall on the rear seat issue should have received a letter.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 18.31.43.png

Edited by toot

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

19 hours ago, hetty1 said:

you would get some help from the coolant temperature gauge but mine never goes over 90C even in really heavy traffic

The gauge is biased to be at the reading of '90', I guess the idea is to give reassurance to most drivers who would worry at seeing needle movement and unsure what temperature is ok for what conditions, the same as removing numbers from gauges in the 1960s and 70s and then removing any other indication except 'C' and 'H' and perhaps blue and red sections at the extremes of the range.

Whilst not disregarding the  'water' temperature gauge I prefer to use the oil temperature gauge to see when the engine is fully warmed and perhaps getting warmer when the water gauge remains nailed at '90'.

(white dots in centre of gauge are for manufacturer's calibration testing, such as it was)

laterch.jpg.c8a604a9a3bfaacfb94f6beaa3bae3ba.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.