1.5 TSI engine cover

hazy2

My new Karoq 1.5 TSI does not have an engine cover. The pictures of the engine I have seen show it with a plastic engine cover. I assumed that the cover was not just decorative but helped reduce engine noise. However when I asked the Skoda service manager about it yesterday, he said I was the second person to ask that day and confirmed that the new cars they are getting in do not have an engine cover. The engine is very quiet so perhaps it was just for decoration.IMG_9584sk.thumb.jpg.67867cc985c91aa2faa039ce308efc6c.jpg

ISTR there was a fire risk  issue on some engine variant so they stopped fitting covers. AFAIK that wasn't the1.5 but I suspect they decided they could cut costs by not fitting covers to all engines!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hazy2 said:

My new Karoq 1.5 TSI does not have an engine cover. The pictures of the engine I have seen show it with a plastic engine cover. I assumed that the cover was not just decorative but helped reduce engine noise. However when I asked the Skoda service manager about it yesterday, he said I was the second person to ask that day and confirmed that the new cars they are getting in do not have an engine cover. The engine is very quiet so perhaps it was just for decoration.IMG_9584sk.thumb.jpg.67867cc985c91aa2faa039ce308efc6c.jpg

20221018_145139.thumb.jpg.127659d0d80f46911f885e16a03577c2.jpg

This, on my Karoq April 2022

If nothing else the cover helps keep everything clean, really surprised it's been dropped. My new Kamiq has one so wonder why it's now been dropped from the Karoq 

I also think it looks neater with a full sized engine cover instead of the token one they fit now near the oil filler cap. 
I suspect it’s down to cost cutting as has been mentioned above, no cooled glovebox, no second boot light/torch and now the engine cover plus a few other minor differences that have occurred over the last few years. 

Edited by Modders
  • Like 2

I’ve just been looking at my engine bay and I’m tempted to try a ‘full size’ engine cover, it looks like 3 of the 4 mounting pegs are present, can anyone confirm where the 4th one would be as there doesn’t seem to be anything obvious? It would be the upper left one as you’re looking at the engine, thanks.

73D162D5-BAB5-40C6-A8A3-962C54F15F3B.jpeg

Ok had a look. There is a bracket the cover connects to that appears to be missing in your pic, roughly where that black mark is to the left of the holder for the wiring loom

Ah right, they must’ve since changed the design of the aluminium housing and deleted the mounting point for the engine cover peg. Thanks for checking.

• Like 1

Skoda seem to be getting desperate to save a few quid.

I would have been disappointed had the latest model not had the engine cover that my previous Karoq had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modders said:

The cover definitely finishes off the engine bay, the tiny token thing they fit now is utterly pointless. 

Very true.

It looks like it’s just the 4th peg on the top left as the other 3 pegs are all present, from what @sussamb describes it looks like there’s no longer a threaded hole or fixing on the aluminium cover as with previous iterations.

On 11/03/2023 at 15:21, NottsIan said:

ISTR there was a fire risk  issue on some engine variant so they stopped fitting covers. AFAIK that wasn't the1.5 but I suspect they decided they could cut costs by not fitting covers to all engines!

I think they use 05E103925C engine cover for the1.5tsi

Here’s photo of the engine minus the cover but with the peg that’s missing (top left) in later engines.

(Not my photo)

6321F133-8305-429F-B8C2-D523255DEAF5.jpeg

Edited by Modders
  • Like 1

The latest 1.5tsi has a redesigned particle filter now more close coupled to the engine so they have rerouted a cable 

With a engine cover fitted it has chance of catching fire 

You can see it in the latest engine pics

On 11/03/2023 at 14:12, hazy2 said:

Wow. That's cost cutting on a whole new level. 

On 18/03/2023 at 09:08, Colin170CR said:

Wow. That's cost cutting on a whole new level. 

On 18/03/2023 at 08:42, Springer46 said:

The latest 1.5tsi has a redesigned particle filter now more close coupled to the engine so they have rerouted a cable 

With a engine cover fitted it has chance of catching fire 

You can see it in the latest engine pics

development engineers have moved the three-way catalytic converter and gasoline particulate filter close to the engine in a single emission control module, thereby further improving the efficiency of the emission control system.19 Jul 2022

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Springer46 said:

development engineers have moved the three-way catalytic converter and gasoline particulate filter close to the engine in a single emission control module, thereby further improving the efficiency of the emission control system.19 Jul 2022

Closer to the engine means it runs hotter, better for the particulate filter.

tom

• 1 month later...

No engine cover, not bothered.

There is no boot light. That was removeable and doubled as a useful flashlight too.

The four bag hooks in the boot have been reduced to two. No big deal.

Good Year tyres, a vast improvement on ride quality from the Continentals. However only 7mms tread which seems a bit stingey.

No umbrella storage under passenger seat, but umbrella still supplied. In door pocket.

Has iPad/phone holders on rear headrests. Rear picnic trays still featured.

Boot floor removeable panel has carpet side and hard rubber side.

Rear bumper is now painted finish which will become scratched with loading luggage. Maybe I'll put a protective strip on it.

Havn't sorted out the Skoda Connect system and various electronics yet.

Some of it too clever by half. eg: dashboard displaying all sorts of 'interesting' info such as '2 cylinder mode'.

• 8 months later...

Hi, on my 09/23 Scala there's no cover as well. I was quite surprised but this fire issue makes sense. I don't think this plastic thing could reduce any noise, it's rather to keep dirt and dust out. However it could make some noise if those rubber gromets get loose.