Petrol leak from engine

Petrol fumes suddenly appeared so my wife found a place to stop the car. Fuel was dripping from under the engine. It was late at night and she rang me in distress. The next day the car was taken by a recovery vehicle to the Skoda Platinium garage (that had just done a complete service on it the day before) for an assessment. They said a bolt had come off a fuel injector. I asked whether it was a known or common problem... they said "yes". Searching this website I see it is a well-know problem by Skoda which I am astonished and angry about since it is potentially just a time-bomb with every vehicle fitted with this engine. This issue really should have needed a recall or some notification to owner!?

Sorry to hear about this, please report this to VOSA on their website and that might, just might "jog" things on a bit, in your situation, when reporting to VOSA, this is one actual event that Skoda UK can not brush off as it is being worked on within their approved workshop network.

Be sure to let us know about the outcome, ie costs if any needing to be handled by you and what Skoda UK has offered - if any, this is not a "time related wear and tear issue" it is an assembly issue at a Skoda managed engine plant in CZ!

Edit:- okay, so maybe it is a "time related wear and tear issue" - but only in as much as that engine was not assembled as per the production procedures, so the torque being applied to these bolts was low and an unknown value, so that has lead to these bolts "walking out" and then the head popping off due to fatigue induced by them now being slackened off slightly.

Another Edit:- I think that I should have suggested DVSA website for reporting that issue.

Edited by rum4mo
DVSA not VOSA!!

6 minutes ago, Crasher said:

We see huge numbers of these engines and I have yet to see this problem

You are being cheated and robed of this experience, wear luckier pants!

Edit:- It is good to read about one actually being taking into a Skoda dealership workshop for repair though.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, rum4mo said:

so the torque being applied to these bolts was low and an unknown value, so that has lead to these bolts "walking out" and then the head popping off due to fatigue induced by them now being slackened off slightly.

"That is implausible" is the polite version of what I thought when I read that.

Ask yourself why would there be a fatigue loading when the bolt is loose but not when correctly tightened, how would your cyclical load induce more stress on a loose fastener than a tensioned one and how would a stress raiser appear when a bolt loosens?

I would have to ask myself "why would I respond to another bit of half right half wrong thinking" based on - what?

I do understand that you are mainland Europe's top materials person, but, what has been happening is said to have been started/caused by under torqued fasteners, so dissecting what some people have written, on more than one topic, in a way to raise awareness of your amazing technical knowledge that many of us are so privileged to "benefit" from - just doesn't cut it for at least me.

Okay I might have left some stuff out when I posted that, but it wasn't meant to be a final complete breakdown of how these bolts are getting their heads popped.

The issue, its consequences, and the potential for even worse consequences is a lot more important to a motoring forum, than picking bits apart.

No need for the sarcasm, amongst what you wrote I think I can pick out that you are repeating and perhaps embellishing what others have wrote with no understanding.

If you are unable to analyse what is being presented to you then please dont perpetuate the misinformation by presenting it as gospel without preceeding it with something along the lines of "I have read", others have said" etc and please don't get angry if what you write is challenged.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

No need for the sarcasm, amongst what you wrote I think I can pick out that you are repeating and perhaps embellishing what others have wrote with no understanding.

If you are unable to analyse what is being presented to you then please dont perpetuate the misinformation by presenting it as gospel without preceeding it with something along the lines of "I have read", others have said" etc and please don't get angry if what you write is challenged.

I'm not too sure about the "no understanding" you haven't a clue as to what my back ground in engineering is.

My general regurgitating was me regurgitating what I had already written about this, so you are totally wrong there, okay as time goes on I'm missing or dropping out a bit of the content of my original thoughts on what is happening, so no "embellishing" intended from me.

I'm not going to respond to any more of your ramblings as you do seem to "set off" against a few random posts/posters - such is your hobby.

Maybe stand back and consider how/what you write and is your intention to help or promote your own self.

Lets allow the OP to get back to this subject and tell us how it pans out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rum4mo said:

You are being cheated and robed of this experience, wear luckier pants!

It is the same with the BXE rod failure, done lots of preventative bearing changes (removing some VERY worn upper shells), but never actually seen one stick it’s neck out the block.

• Like 1

Thats because your customers have confidence in you, they can heed your advice re preventative measures without being concerned they might be ripped off or never see their car in one piece again.

Those not so lucky decide on balance the risk of carrying on driving is the lesser one!

• Like 2