Is it worth combining a water pump change with a cambelt change?

I opted to have the water pump changed today along with the cambelt which was due replacement under the new 4 year rule. My car had done just 18738 miles in 4

:eek: - that is shocking :eek:

Guessing the same goes for the other engine types as well then used in the VAG range with plastic water pump blades? Pretty worrying to see that kinda damage on such a low mileage car.

mine went at 62K, Awesome GTI changed it and the Cambelt at the same time, they fitted the pump with the metal impellers, I think that this is standard fitment to the TT and LCR 225 engines so it should not need doing again. It really is a case of crap design as the plastic degrades and brakes up, if you do not notice that your temp gauge is going up very quickly you could potentially trash the engine....great one VAG!!!

Octavia 4x4 hatch, Reg Nov 2001, Mileage 72000

Under the new 4 year rule had timing belt, tensioning pulley and waterpump replaced by an independent motor engineer who personally owns an Audi.

Saw the old belt which was shiny and showing signs of a random crazing pattern on the shiny surface. Teeth were slightly rounded. All of which indicated that the belt was ready for a change.

The water pump was in good condition visually but was changed as a precaution. Its not unknown for the plastic impellar to become seperated when the bonding material betwen plastic and metal base gives up suddenly.

An excellent job all for £340 incl VAT and a very sweet running motor with improved mpg. Default Audi settings ??

What engines petrol/diesel are these plastic impellers fitted......would my 2000 Octavia 110 Tdi have one fitted? I work as a technician in the plastics industry, this looks like serious imperfections in the molding process to me!

That specific pump (PN: 06A 121 011L) was fitted to the AGU, AUM, AQY, APK, ARX, AUQ, AEG, AZH AND AZJ engines (ie 1.8 and 2.0 petrol) until circa Nov 2002. The replacement just fitted has a similar plastic impeller but the method of securing it has changed so that it can't break free of the drive shaft - its main mode of failure. The dealer who replaced mine has seen very few pump failures prior to the 2 today. I don't know if the water pump fitted to other engines is of similar design or not. It would be best to take advice from your dealer on whether or not to have the pump changed when the cambelt is changed.

I haven't commented on what the old timing belt looked like. It was shiny on both sides, with no signs of any cracking or damage, the teeth showed no signs of rounding and the part number printed on the belt was clearly visible.

Do any newer MkI Octavias have a metal impeller fitted as standard, or would they have the newer-style plastic impeller?

I have a 2004 1.8T and it would be nice to know if I've got a plastic impeller in my pump.

Do any newer MkI Octavias have a metal impeller fitted as standard' date=' or would they have the newer-style plastic impeller?

I have a 2004 1.8T and it would be nice to know if I've got a plastic impeller in my pump.[/quote']

You'll have plastic, all OEM ones are, if you want a metal one it's an aftermarket part.

I'm quite seriously considering getting the pump changed on the 50k service with the cambelt, which is too early for the cambelt for the PD130 by a big margin but I just can't be arsed pushing my luck for too long :(

Is it possible to DIY change the water pump alone?

I'm thinking we really should have had ours done at 76k with the cam belt.

It has had a hard life then and is now reaching 100k :eek:

The cambelt needs to be removed to fit the water pump.

i had my pump changed by a good looking young bloke when he also changed my cambelt, mine came out looking fine but i did replace it with an all metal pump as i think the plastic ones are a stupid idea.

I guess thats a no[/i'] then :rofl:
I think the price of water a water pump change is that of a cambelt change less the price of the belt and tensioner but plus the price of the (exchange) waterpump and coolant, ie not that much different. Make sense? The pump could probably be removed and checked during a cambelt change and replaced if OK, but you would need to pay for the labour for doing that plus coolant. My exchange pump cost £30.32.

I'd probably run yours to about 120k miles first and then change the lot, that kinda thing. 60k to me is about the max I'd want to run a cambelt for on most engines, although they can probably last longer on most cars these days on older ones it was a definite no-way-you-wouldnt-change-it situation.

What kinda labour cost are we talking about, out of interest?

Mine has just had the cambelt done (58k) and the guy said not to bother doing the water pump despite my insistence that I would prefer it done .... then when he went to replace the cambelt he found that the waterpump was leaking and in not a very good state at all so had to replace it after all :P

How much is the metal impellord pump? Perhaps we coul dget a group-buy organised?

It's about £30 from German & Swedish.

I look at it this way, a bearing collapse on a water pump ( or tensioner or anything the belt is in contact with for that matter) could result in the belt jumping or breaking and a wrecked engine. :eek:

It's for that reason that I will ALWAYS spend the extra £30 & replace the water pump when I do a cambelt.

Some might say it's a waste of time but (generally speaking) anything that's done 60,000 miles stands a greater chance of failure than a new item & so for peace of mind, knowing the likely consequences of such a failure, I'll just replace it thanks ! :D