PD160 Intake pipe - the definitive thread?

Joff

As a new member, I've been shocked at the amount of threads on the pd160 intake pipe mod - do people not use the search?

Admittedly, I found it a bit of a nightmare following a paper trail of keywords and part numbers but I got everything sorted and the parts arrived from Seat within 4 days of looking on Briskoda.

To (hopefully) make it easier for members to find the information they need, how's about a single concise thread on everything about the mod?

Anyway, rant over. Here's my contribution to the cause...

pd 160 intake parts

6LL 129 621 (trumpet)

6LL 129 618 (pipe)

Available from Seat dealers, together they cost approx £35 give or take.

The parts are valid.

The trumpet is the Euro spec.

You also need a zip tie.

What does the mod do?

This mod uses a pipe from the Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9 TDi 160bhp (aka pd160 engine). The pipe fits into all Fabia vRS models and connects the airbox to the air feed on the slam panel.

pd%20160%20intake2.jpg

In comparison (see photos), the Fabia vRS pipe is nearly half the diameter of the Seat part. The theory behind this is that the more air you can get to your engine, the better the car performs - Seat obviously thought it was necessary with the pd160 engine, so for Fabia vRS's with a remap it's pretty much essential if you use the standard airbox.

Fit a performance panel filter at the same time (eg Pipercross) and you're good to go.

pd%20160%20intake.jpg

pd%20160%20intake3.jpg

Showing the zip tie to secure the small pipe

img_0121.jpg

How easy is it to fit?

It's a Haynes 1-spanner job - 5 minutes and you can have the parts fitted.

The only tools you'll need will be a Philips cross head screwdriver and a flat head screwdriver (to prise the tabs from the trumpet).

How to fit:

• Undo the cross head screw securing the intake pipe to the side of the airbox. You may find it easier to temporarily unclip the plug from the side of the MAF meter near the lid of the airbox.
  • Prise the tabs at the inlet of the air intake pipe - two at the top and one on each left/right side.
  • Pull the intake pipe clear of the engine bay.
  • Fit the trumpet section (6LL 129 621) first into the feed on the slam panel by the front grille and click the tabs into place.
  • Locate the intake pipe (6LL 129 618) into the airbox and manipulate it until it's fitted over the trumpet section.
  • Secure the intake to the airbox with the cross head screw.
  • Use the zip tie to pull the small pipe away from the side of the intake pipe - if you fail to do this, the pipe will wear over time!
  • If necessary, re-attach the plug to the MAF meter

Is that really all I have to do?

Some people go one step further and enlarge the feed that's connected to the slam panel by cutting back the air deflector. This takes only 5 patient minutes with a Stanley knife.

WARNING - Removing the air deflector may potentially let water into the intake pipe. Whilst a small amount of road spray should not cause a problem with a performance air filter fitted, paper filter elements can fall apart when damp or become saturated leading to water getting onto the MAF.

So will I see any benefit?

As with most budget performance-enhancing mods, hard facts on power gains are pretty much non existant but people have reported better performance both with and without a remap.

What people do agree on is that diesel exhaust smoke is reduced which is never a bad thing.

What were those part numbers again?

6LL 129 621 (trumpet)

6LL 129 618 (pipe)

Some more keywords for the search engine:

pd 160, snorkel, tube, 6LL129618, 6LL129621, scoop, pikey mod

• Like 1

As a new member' date=' I've been shocked at the amount of threads on the pd160 intake pipe mod - do people not use the search?

......Anyway, rant over. Here's my contribution to the cause...

:rofl:

STICKY!:thumbup:

Nooo!!! Forums should only have stickies for announcements - not popular threads.

If the thread's that good it will be near the top of a forum anyway or in the case of this thread, be found through search engines or maybe moved to a Tutorials/Guides forum?

just an add on to make , no mention was made to cutting back the air deflector from inside the trumpet bracket on the slam panel , if you do this ,it then makes the PD160 intake the ultimate mod

To some extent but there is potentially more air to work with in the first place. From what I understand (which may be wrong :o ) - by having more air 'hitting the airbox' when the air is less dense (warm outside) it will still have enough O2 to have a decent combustion. The PD160 intake just allows more air to flow into the airbox more easily IIRC :)

Quite right though the MAF is involved too :)

Thanks for putting this thread up. Ordered the parts from a Seat dealership in Liverpool for around £39 and should arrive on Tuesday :)

Might be an idea to get a sticky up of the part numbers of common parts being bought?

• 4 months later...
yeah you would think it would work like that

AIUI, a petrol engine will act like this, but diesels usually run with excess air anyway, and even with lots of air, the fuel metering is controlled by your right foot. If ther's not enough air, the ecu won't allow full fuel, which is why a busted maf makes the car so slow...

• 4 weeks later...

How to fit:

[*]Undo the cross head screw securing the intake pipe to the side of the airbox. You may find it easier to temporarily unclip the plug from the side of the MAF meter near the lid of the airbox.

[*]Prise the tabs at the inlet of the air intake pipe - two at the top and one on each left/right side.

[*]Pull the intake pipe clear of the engine bay.

[*]Fit the trumpet section (6LL 129 621) first into the feed on the slam panel by the front grille and click the tabs into place.

[*]Locate the intake pipe (6LL 129 618) into the airbox and manipulate it until it's fitted over the trumpet section.

[*]Secure the intake to the airbox with the cross head screw.

[*]If necessary' date=' re-attach the plug to the MAF meter[/list']What were those part numbers again?

6LL 129 621 (trumpet)

6LL 129 618 (pipe)

Thanks a million for the guide. The only change I would make is that I found it easier to fit the intake pipe to the airbox first(with the trumpet attached to the intake pipe) and then attach this to the slam panel. (i.e. Switch around steps 4&5 above.)

It is a 2 minute job!!

I however turned it into a 30 minute job, becuse I struggled to remove the original trumpet, so removed the battery cover thinking it would make it easier. It didnt and I broke the battery cover clip and had to araldite it back on:mad:

Fitted a pipercross filter too, but dont really notice a difference!!

Still got there in the end:)