Seat Belt Warning "Ding"

Wayne Kerr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be better if it worked on the principle that as soon as you engage gear in the auto or go over 1 MPH in the manual it starts bonging.

Good idea but unfortunately not so!

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. My problem with the seat belt "ding" is that I have a random "ding" even when I have my seat belt on. Sometimes one "ding" sometimes several "dings" - it's driving me mad, cos its making me not wear my seat belt at all - the "ding" disappears after a period of time without the belt on.

Edited by john93
ramdom asterisks in txt - don't know why

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread earlier. If I have, it would save a lot of troubles for many of you guys.

"Ding, ding" problem is easy to solve and I'll give technical explanation how it works (you don't need VagCom).

Inside seatbelt buckle there is a electrical switch. When there is no seatbelt in, THE SWITCH IS ON. Why is this important? Because it means that circuit is closed without seatbelt on and when we put seatbelt on, the circuit gets open. So, what we need to do is to keep the circuit open all the time so the car thinks that the seatbelt is always on. To open the circuit, unplug the cable connector under the seat. If you're not sure whitch one it is, follow it from the seatbelt buckle. Job done.

Now, let's resolve some fears mentioned in this thread:

Airbag will not deploy???

Wrong, airbag will deploy. There is no information circulating between seatbelt and airbag.

Car thinks driver seat is empty???

Wrong, it's the other way arround. By unplugging the cable connector under the seat we are saying to the car that seatbelt is put on.

So, I wouldn't give whole this explanation and confirm the way it works if I hadn't done it on my car yet. So, it's been tested on my Octy and it works fine. If you still don't beleive it, don't do it or keep on trying with VagCom. I have VagCom and haven't used it for this.

Whole this story has been covered in Octy2 section of this forum and there are many people who done it and no comlaints yet.

:thumbup:

It's dangerous and against the law to drive without seatbelt on. I've unplugged mine just because it's the last thing to do (put seatbelt on) before I drive off. So "dinging" during that period drives me crazy. No "dinging" anymore for me (for over 6 months now).

Edited by bosnjo

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread earlier. If I have, it would save a lot of troubles for many of you guys.

What we need to do is to keep the circuit open all the time so the car thinks that the seatbelt is always on. To open the circuit, unplug the cable connector under the seat. If you're not sure whitch one it is, follow it from the seatbelt buckle. Job done.

I've unplugged mine just because it's the last thing to do (put seatbelt on) before I drive off. So "dinging" during that period drives me crazy.

Sorry for the massive bump but... It was also driving me insane and unplugging the connector has worked a treat, thanks! Took me a few goes and was a bit of a struggle (I was trying to do it alllll wrong at first), so took some photos and will bash them up tomorrow.

Nice one :)

Edited by AdamR

I read a tip about jacking the seat right up (which was useful - thanks) but for some reason I tried to get at the clip from the rear at first - fail. It's much easier from the driver's footwell, with the seat pushed back a bit.

To give you an idea of where it's located, you can see the handbrake top right of the photo (sorry about my light being in the way confusing things). The clip is pretty much in a direct line with there the light is pointing, fixed to the underside of the seat.

plug1.jpg

The assembly is fixed under the drivers seat. Red arrow points to a clip that you can spring up allowing you to slide the assembly off and get a bit more room to play with.

plug2.jpg

Once that's off, there is another spring clip holding the two components together. I pulled this back with my fingernail while tugging on the left hand side of the assembly (pulling it from right to left of the photo). Once the cable is pulled tight it comes apart easily.

plug3.jpg

Success! No more bonging! I fitted the larger clip (bottom one) back under the seat to stop it waggling about.

plug4.jpg

HTH :thumbup:

Adam

Edited by AdamR

HTH :thumbup:

Adam

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's been annoying me with the OH's Golf when you put anything on the p/s seat (doesn't even have to be heavy), not noticed it on the Octy yet but it's only been a day!

• 1 year later...