Rechipping after Superchip Fitted (Warning)

ccrosb

I had the car rechipped today from Superchips to APR.

Easy you might think, Simply remove the superchip, refit stock chip and then do a serial port reflash.

It not that easy though.

I was under the impression that the chip I was given by superchips was the original chip from the car. It is not, its the same kind of chip they use to plug into their encryption board, just with a stock program on it, presumably to allow you to return to stock without soldering.

As you can guess this complicated matters and I was very lucky Star Performance had another chip that could be used. A Big thanks to Jim for all his Soldering work.

If your thinking of moving on from superchips to something else make sure your tuner knows you dont have the 'original' chip.

If your thinking of getting supperchipped dont let this put you off. Superchipping still makes a noticable difference to the car. However it would probably be wise to ask for the 'Original' Chip in addiition to the encrypted chip they normally give you.

Colin.

However it would probably be wise to ask for the 'Original' Chip in addiition to the encrypted chip they normally give you.

They don't hand the original chip over to you?. Jabbasport give you YOUR original chip in its own little box as a matter of course.

There's a word for taking & withholding someone else's property...however the word escapes me right now ;)

You wouldn't take your car to have it's engine swapped to a Dixons outlet.... so why expect a superc*ips dealer to know how to solder well...

from all the ECU's I've seen inside of, hardly anyone can solder to any known specification

You wouldn't take your car to have it's engine swapped to a Dixons outlet.... so why expect a superc*ips dealer to know how to solder well...

from all the ECU's I've seen inside of' date=' hardly anyone can solder to any known specification[/quote']

I wouldnt take a TV to Dixons for repairs either :D

As for soldering, its all done by machine, so expecting anyone soldering by hand to come even close to that sort of quality is a bit stupid really ;)

When Jabba did my remap Mike dealt with this without making any specific point about this and gave me the old Superchips chip back. Having just looked at it I notice that it is a chip in a holder with some other components on it so he must have replaced the whole thing.

I wouldnt take a TV to Dixons for repairs either :D

As for soldering' date=' its all done by machine, so expecting anyone soldering by hand to come even close to that sort of quality is a bit stupid really ;)[/quote']

'cept we have people at work that can - they're full on experts tho.

It's also important to fit the correct temperature spec device - I'd be interested to know (if you can read the info off the top) what device Superchips fitted

AM29F010 something something

Mark, Chips are both AM29F800BB,

Other information on the chips is as follows

Chip in encoder Board also has the following

-90SC

0043EBM HH

@1996 AMD

And the other 'Stock' chip

-70SI

0052MBM HH

@1996 AMD

As far as the Soldering goes, It looked ok. I think thats a bit of a non issue.

For Me I intend to send the chips back to Superchips and ask for my original back.

I doubt they will have it though.

Colin

Interesting

the letter after the 'S' denotes whether industrial or commercial

industrial temp goes to -40 +85C whereas the commercial may fail below freezing. not a good thing

i'm being blonde here - but what is on the ECU now?

DGW. This is probably not the original chip as fitted by SKODA, but a chip programmed by superchips to fit within their encryption board that is soldered to your ECU. Your Original SKODA chip is probably missing in action same as mine was !

I'm told the original factory chips can be identified by a white sticker over the top of them ?

Colin.

Your Original SKODA chip is probably missing in action same as mine was !

Sorry mate, but Denis (like myself & several others) is a Jabbasport customer, and Jabba's policy is to hand the original Skoda chip back to the customer, as they will revert the car back to standard free of charge should you decide to sell.

;)

OK, Confused now.

I dont know now whether the chip I have is the original SKODA chip or a Superchip. to be placed in the encryption board.

DGW, excuse the last post, i've just read that you dont have a superchip.

this is the Stock Chip you refer to YES ?

If yes then it probably means that the chip I have is the also the stock SKODA chip and has been damaged.

Colin,

I agree with Denis here.

My chip (the OEM one returned from JabbaSport) shows signs of having a paper label removed. Under this, I can just make out:-

AMxxxxxxxx (presumably a unique serial number)

-70SI

0043MBMHH (mine is FWD auto, not 4X4 manual)

© 1996 AMD

Thanks, Everyone.

This will be why Ross wont touch ECU's if they have already been modified.

It's probably safe then to assume I did actually get my original chip but that it has been fried at some point. (do you want a cheeseburger with that ?)

The only issue I have left then is the issue of a commercial grade chip being in my car for over a year.

Colin

correct

it's all just knowing where to buy them from - I would imagine that Superchips instruct their dealers to purchase from RS - easy to deal with - just shows a lack of thought.

Does anyone have a jabba ECU they'd care to look in?

the relevant bits are the AM29F010-XXXX all the rest are data/batch codes (and the copyright bit)

the fact that you've got a 90 in place of your 70 isn't a problem, it's just potentially faster.

Cheers

M

Another Superchips related post (didn't want to start a whole new thread).

Mine has run with the odd flat spot at low revs ever since I had the Superchip fitted and one of my little 'affectations' since I've had the RS has been to fill up with Optimax. Lo and behold the flat spots are gone if I use regular unleaded. Is it possible that due to the 'off the shelf' nature of Superchips that it is geared to regular 95 RON? (I'm thinking of the other companies that offer 95 or 98 programs.)