rough idle worst cold- fine after 2000 RPM

Guys, after a year of almost trouble free driving (apart from clutch and flywheel and a leaking door and temp sensor grr)

My poor vRS (01) is running rough at idle, when i start in the morning it sits above 1000 RPM (i gather cold start idle) but drops 500 rpm as it sounds like its missfire's now and then

as i drive off its jerky untill about 2000 then it flys like normal

after about 1min of driving (following the min i let it idle before i drive it) its much better and only a slight missfire like feeling at idle but takes off ok and drives fine

It has new plugs as i thought that might be the problem.

It has one L coil pack, but 3 G packs however i assumed these would give trouble at top end more than idle???

My other thought was the exhaust sensor ??

any ideas or help? (the engine light is not on)

Hmm sounds a bit rough. Mine sounds and runs pretty Good on a morning.

Could this be a bit of age showing through as its about six yrs old.

So long as she runs well when warm thats the main thing.

It never had this problem before and its got much worse, to the point where people came up today at lunch and asked whats wrong with the car as i tried to drive off.

edit*

after reading further in the blue thread i found a post with some pics of a valve i guess related to idle and cold start, however they pics wont load, anyone have any idea of what this valve looks like, i might try clean it and see if it helps (prays!!)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/splutter-doing-my-head/58708/2/

Mine does this sometimes when first started from cold, thought it was the choke/cold start doing its thing?!?!! Idles high then goes bada bada bada bada bada then back up to high idle then smoothes out.

Ian

that sounds more like the cold start idle 'hunting' maybe more related to the exhaust sensor (other cars of mine had that when the sensor was unplugged)

- dont hold me to that tho as i am new to these skoda's

mine is coughing and almost stalling then hardly able to drive at low revs when cold, get the revs high and it will take off ok

I usually sit and wait first thing in the morning for 1-2 mins before setting off I'm sure what your getting is just the cold start function making the car run rich/lean (i ain't sure which) I have driven it straight away and it's a pig till the rev's drop at idle.

And i was always told by a old guy work with never drive straight off on a stone cold engine, he leaves his running 10 mins in the morning everyday and credit to him he's never had a problem with his cars other than servicable items.

And we do sometimes 400-500 miles a week around town/city centre driving which by rights usually kills cars in the end

Sorry for going slighty off topic with this but it kind of applie i think

HTH

Well i thought an update might be of help to some

I managed to get some cleaner to clean the throttle body then reset its possition etc

So far with 2 cold starts its been fine again so hopefully thats the fix, I didnt manage to take the trottle off and clean it as well as i would have thought would help because skoda dealer shut early so i didnt get a gasket.

I will see how it goes tomorrow before work etc

I also replaced the cold air intake and filter as it was horrid! so back to stock for now untill i buy another filter

Lastly a Question

I noticed oil from the BOV output and its been sprayed on the hoses in that area. Is this normal?

I assume its coming from the turbo? its not dripping but there is some oil in that area so i was a tad worried

• 2 years later...

My Skoda Octavia VRS Mk1 does this idle stutter when it's really cold on startup, very annoying and totally random when it does it.

I'm not taking the answer that the car is getting old LOL! Every other car on the planet pretty much pulls off straight away without coughing and spluttering on a cold start!!

I've had cars plenty older than my 02 reg VRS and never had a problem with them. And leaving your car for 10 minutes every morning before setting off is ridiculous LOL

What I have noticed is that the misfire stutter occurs during the period when the Secondary Air Pump is activated. Not totally sure what this pump does except break its rivets holding it together and make a sound like a jet taking off!! Is this pump taking away air required by the engine and hence the misfire??

As for cleaning the Throttle Body out... I've done this before and I thought this had fixed the stutter however a couple of days later the misfire happened.

I just wish that whatever it is that is causing this problem would just finally die and flag up on VAGCOM!!

Has anybody cured this flippin stupid problem? It's got to be something really simple?

Mine did the stutter and was 100% cured by cleaning the throttle body. I can start mine up after not touching it for a week and drive off straight away and its sweet. Only thing I did notice when doing the TB clean was that one of the coil packs wasn't pushed in firmly, don't know if that could have caused an issue.