Help with Fuel Filler flap on estate

max24

Hi everyone,

I have only had the fabia estate for 2 days, and only noticed that the fuel flap is not closing. I have read some very useful advice for the hatchback from here, but a bit trickier on the estate. I have attempted getting to the cable but proofing difficult. Has any estate owner had same problem with this?

Please help!

I have fixed this problem on an estate after I probably pulled the leaver a bit too enthusiastically.

I took off the plastic cover that runs along the back of the car (you have to take the spare wheel out and undo some plastics nuts (3, I think), then pull the cover up to unclip it (being careful not to break the plastic around the clips!-). I think you then see a couple of screws holding the rear of the side cover on ( I might be getting confused with taking an Octy apart, because I ended up doing this a number of times to get at some wiring.) If you take them out, I managed to prise the cover away at the rear to get my hand in and push the cable back in again. I think I had a small mirror and torch so I could see what I was doing. It wasn't easy to reach it, but it was possible (just!).

There may be a better way, eg loosening more of the side panel, but I couldn't see how to do it at the time. If anyone else know, please enlighten us - I suspect it is only a matter of time before it happens again. I would have tried gluing it in, but I think I was lucky to get the cable back in and would have probably ended up with the end of the cable glued to the rear wing somewhere.....

If you want instructions/pictures of how to take the back plastic off, it is very similar to the Octy (no3, photo 1):

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/how-remove-rear-bumper-fit-towbar/50646/?highlight=remove+rear+bumper+fit+towbar

Hope this helps.

Undoing 1 torx screw will remove the whole fuel filler door assembly allowing easy access to the cable & catch. :)

1. Open fuel filler door.

2. Remove Torx screw.

3. Unscrew fuel cap.

4. Remove door and inner trim by carefully pulling out at screw hole and moving the whole item (door, seal & drain pipe) towards the rear of the car the whole assembly should come out.

5. The plastic drain hose can be pulled out with the assembly.

It will then look like THIS and you can get access to the cable by removing the catch assembley on the left. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I had a go at taking it off from the oustide; didn't get anywhere. So I had to take off:

1. The boot rubber seal.

2. The bit of plastic to protect the lip of the boot, two 10mm plactic bolts inside the spare wheel housing, then 6 clips along the outer lip of that.

3. The bit of plastic at the top of the carpet trim, 3 screws, then 3 or 4 clips on top.

4. The carpet trim that's actually in the way.

Even then it was a ballache to do on the estate. And the cable popped back out when I put the carpet trim back in.

Given that the bit you need to get access to is inside anothwer trim panel, if it goes again I'm going to cut out a square of the trim with a knife (watching for wires on the other side) and just gaffer tape it back in. I've no plans to sell the car before gaffer tape has a serious effect on its value.

• Like 1