When did the Aux socket and MP3 stream come in?

I thought these were on the same model revision, but I have seem to have the AUX socket in the jumbo box, but not the mp3 version of the stream radio.

As it happens, I also can't get the aux input to work - the manual says press the "CD" button repeatedly to switch to AUX - but it never does? (yes, I have enabled "Aux" from the menu screen). Am I missing something obvious?

I'm also having problems with the CD changer, as the sounds it produces is distorted and has zero bass/midrange - something clearly not right. I'm taking it back to the dealer's soon though (under warranty). If it's the head unit at fault, what do you think my chances are of negotiating replacement with the mp3 compatible version!? :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting - I only bought mine a couple of weeks back BUT it was registered July 2006, although I supposed it might have been built a few months before and missed that revision. I notice I've been given the manual for the Stream MP3 version though :(

I had a 3.5mm jack socket in the front of the Blaupunkt unit that came with my old N-reg Xantia - my Discman sat happily behind the grab handle on the dashboard for Up To 8 Hours of CD Music Action (between recharges :doh:)

What goes around comes around, I guess... :)

That's interesting - I only bought mine a couple of weeks back BUT it was registered July 2006, although I supposed it might have been built a few months before and missed that revision. I notice I've been given the manual for the Stream MP3 version though :(

Cheers for bringing this up. A mate of mine ordered a new Octy II in April 2006 and I ordered mine in May 2006. His car never came with the AUX socket (although he did get the mp3 Stream) and we couldn't work out why both cars differed.

He got his from Peterboroughs local dealer whereas I got mine from a dealer on teh south coast before Sparsahtts at Fareham took it on.

If you have an aux in, then you should have the stream mp3, from your description is sounds to me that the dealer has swapped the stream mp3 into another car and put the normal stream into yours. The early stream aux in, did not work because the wiring inside the HU is not present, even though there is a menu option. Also the fact your changer sounds duff also points to the swap, because the changer wiring is different on the later mp3 version to allow for the aux in. The changer can be sorted by swapping some wires on the connector, but I wouldnt bother. I'd go back and demand the HU is swapped for the correct one that the car would have had when it was new.

thanks mannyo - i must admit that thought had crossed my mind, especially as I had been provided with the manual for the mp3 stream.

I was also given a little adendum booklet called "2006.5 technical changes", (and the salesman specifically said the car was that revision) although unforunately it doesn't mention the MP3 stream or AUX socket upgrades.

So was it the 2006.5 specifically, when they added these options?

As Manny quite correctly says it seems your car doesn't have the original headunit in. If you've not had it from new then it might not be entirely the dealers fault but the previous owner.

Also Manny correctly says the wiring has changed to account for the Aux In. Have a look on my MFD2 install page near the bottom and it is explained.

The most obvious tell tale is that if you have the later car you'll have red brake calipers.

The plot thickens... I DO have red brake callipers. Here's something else that worries me though: Do these radios have tradional radio codes (i.e. for after disconnecting the battery?).

I asked for the radio code when i collected the car and was told "it doesn't have one - it's just coded to the car". I swalled this because actually this was true of the old system I had in my mondeo, but now I'm starting wonder whether I was being strung a line, because they've knowingly swapped out the MP3 unit and dont have the original manual/code sticker for the replacement (although I know there are other ways they can get the code if needed) ?

So, red calipers and MP3 socket means you should have a Stream MP3.

Send me your chassis number by PM and an email address.

The radio codes aren't issue with new cars AFAIK they are coded to the ECU once the code has been entered for the first time. You can get the code from a dealer but they will normally charge.

Ok, I've got a feeling this is going to turn into a headache. I explained to my dealer everything I thought about it being swapped out for an earlier model, and they were initially quite receptive to that - i left it with them, to look up what was originally on the car when it was built.

They've come back to me and said they've checked chassis number and found that the car was not built with the MP3 version of the Stream. They're now talking about doing a software update on the radio to try and fix it - is this even remotely likely to work? I can see that it might get the AUX socket going (if the current radio software doesn't support it), but i doubt it'll fix the CD changer fault, which sounds much more like a physical problem (earthing fault, for example)

So I just called SUK as well. Gave them the number plate, and they have also come back saying that although it is definitely at 2007 MY car (red calipers etc..), but that it was built too early to have the MP3 Stream - so maybe they didn't come in at exactly the same time? :S

I'm totally confused now. it's booked in for a week on tuesday to be looked at, but i really wanted to avoid them pulling all the car apart right back the CD changer :(

Ok, I've got a feeling this is going to turn into a headache. I explained to my dealer everything I thought about it being swapped out for an earlier model, and they were initially quite receptive to that - i left it with them, to look up what was originally on the car when it was built.

They've come back to me and said they've checked chassis number and found that the car was not built with the MP3 version of the Stream. They're now talking about doing a software update on the radio to try and fix it - is this even remotely likely to work? I can see that it might get the AUX socket going (if the current radio software doesn't support it), but i doubt it'll fix the CD changer fault, which sounds much more like a physical problem (earthing fault, for example)

So I just called SUK as well. Gave them the number plate, and they have also come back saying that although it is definitely at 2007 MY car (red calipers etc..), but that it was built too early to have the MP3 Stream - so maybe they didn't come in at exactly the same time? :S

I'm totally confused now. it's booked in for a week on tuesday to be looked at, but i really wanted to avoid them pulling all the car apart right back the CD changer :(

Does your car have a Jack plug in the centre arm rest ? If so then why put it there if it won't work with the radio ???????

Yes it does, and I agree. I am being told by the dealer, however, that the non-mp3 stream should still be able to support the AUX socket.

The fact that it never even switches to the AUX input when you press the "CD" button (as the manual states) suggests that this is not the case.

I'm considering extracting the radio this weekend to have a look at the connector on the back. VRStu has a very helpful guide to the pin-outs on his site. This will prove whether or not it has the 2007 MY wiring, but I guess that still wont tell me whether my radio is/isn't capable of using it :(

Yes it does, and I agree. I am being told by the dealer, however, that the non-mp3 stream should still be able to support the AUX socket.

The fact that it never even switches to the AUX input when you press the "CD" button (as the manual states) suggests that this is not the case.

I'm considering extracting the radio this weekend to have a look at the connector on the back. VRStu has a very helpful guide to the pin-outs on his site. This will prove whether or not it has the 2007 MY wiring, but I guess that still wont tell me whether my radio is/isn't capable of using it :(

I'm with Stu...it sounds a little odd.

Maybe point out the Jack plug to the dealer and get them to have it work :) , mission impossible without the MP3 Radio.

mission impossible without the MP3 Radio.

Yep, that's just what I was thinking! I couldn't wait any longer - I've been out tonight and had the radio out. Guess what?

2007 MY connection - I can see the green, yellow and brown wires coming from the AUX socket to the quadlock connector

Original stream radio, without support for an AUX in, so effectively the aux wires are wired to nothing, and the CD changer is using the wrong pin for its ground.

Somebody, be it my dealer or SUK, is not telling me the full story. Needless to say, I'm gonna be at the dealers tomorrow making a nuisence of myself! :D I just hope there's someone "techy" enough around to listen to the explanation without fobbing me off

Job done then!!

You got them banged to rights. I've been doing some research on this and all the 2007MY (Including mine which was Stream MP3) that I can find have got -

8YH = radio, version 1

The pre 2007MY Stream was -

8YL = radio with CD player

Perhaps a few more people with and without StreamMP3 can confirm for Guiness but I think it's pretty cut and dried.

What that means, in essence, is that your car was - as suspected - built with a Stream MP3.

Thanks - been down to the dealer today with connector diagrams and screwdriver in hand! Explained once again, exactly why is isn't working (and never will, with this head unit), and they've now agreed that it is more or less case closed.

Even had the service manager out in the car with me while i unscrewed the HU and showed him the connector :) Still, can't complain, they have been very good so far and haven't reacted badly to me telling them what the problem was (which a lot of dealers dont like, it seems)

I still have no straight answer though over how this all happened, but I guess I dont care as long as it gets sorted. They're going to call me next week, hopefully to tell me when they can just dump an MP3 stream in my hands and let me get on with it! :)

They wont just dump the radio into your hands, they will need to input the radio code supplied to them by SUK. In theory they shouldnt tell you what the code is, as you should never need to enter it yourself, but you never know.