Octavia jacking points.

a1topdog

When using a trolly jack you can't use the sill jacking points as the trolly jack needs a flatish surface and the sills have the seam in the way. I could use a block of wood either side of the seam , but I'm not kean on this idea.

When jacking the front on other cars I usually jack undernear the lower wishbone , but on my vRS the car sits too low (with standard suspension)

so I can't get the trolly jack underneath.

I'm curious to know what jacks / jacking points you guys use.

Trolley jack usually under the wishbone mount points at the front, the pointy bit on the bottom of the mount sits in the trolley jack cup and doesn't fall out. The jack just slides between the wheel and the arch when it's down. At the rear there's a similar suspension mount but I can't bring it to mind just now. The tyre boys with the big jacks go right under and jack up under the longitudinal strengthening beam in the floorpan.

Edit remembered the rear jacking point - I think it is the front end of the trailing arm - there's a circular depression the trolleyjack cup fits inside ...

And mine is on standard VRS suspension too so I guess it should be the same height as yours. Maybe my jack is smaller...

Chassis rails for me, big boxy things they are. I can lift 3 wheels off the ground from one jacking point :D

If you're jacking using the chassis rails (front ones that the engine mounts bolt onto) you obvioulsy don't have the engine under plastics in place.

I do - so that rules that one out.

Do you mean the box section that the 3 fuel pipes run through (white/black/blue if I remember correctly) if looking underneather from the drivers side?

I thought about that but it looked a bit flimsy.

I think we're talking about the box section that runs parallel and about 12" in from the side of the car. I jack on this just behind the front wheels with a piece of plywood to spread the load/prevent damage to the underseal.

Rear is a little more tricky but if I'm only doing minor work then I jack under the spring cup at the end of trailing arm - saves having to jack the whole back end in the air (again suitable piece of wood to prevent damage).

or do as I do with most lowered cars.... lift it up an inch on the crapols scissor jack just to lift up enough to get a trolley jack in there...

not so much as to actually lift the car off the ground tho - they're far too flexi for that.

• 1 month later...
The standard jacking points?

Not the sill jacking points for the standard jack Denis. He wants the points for a trolley jack.

When i fitted the lower strut brace i lifted mine on the chassis rails as Jon suggested, with a suitable piece of wood to protect the car.

I haven't looked at a rear jacking point as yet...

Just asking to be sure, Geoff. I suspect the 4X4 is even more difficult to find suitable trolley jack points at the rear for because of the rear suspension arrangement.

Steve,

As Jon said, look at the sill jacking point marker then go inboard, you'll see a couple of parallel box-sections....that's what i used and they most certainly didn't bend ;)

Denis, i smell an FAQ coming on....RS & 4x4 jacking points ?

I'll take some pics tomorrow :)

Denis, i smell an FAQ coming on....RS & 4x4 jacking points ?

That a brilliant suggestion! I recently aquired a trolly jack too (thanks k :thumbup:!) and am wondering the same thing.