Light in storage space

Brimarg

The light in the passenger storage space is permanently on, I have removed bulb as a short term fix but does anyone know where the switch for this is hidden? Not a major problem but annoying. Only noticed it when putting car in garage late at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen this item about the glovebox light, I checked the one in my Roomster 2 and found the same problem. It’s not obvious that the light is on all the time, even in the dark, unless you are looking for it. I wonder how long the car would need to be left standing before the battery gets sufficiently drained for the car not to start?

Thanks to Aubrey for putting up the diagram with the instruction about first removing the centre console in order to get at the glovebox light switch. When I eventually got to the switch, I found that it was not clipped into its location; it was dangling loose on the end of the electrical cable. Either the guy who assembled it in the factory had not pushed it firmly into place, or the two clips that form an integral part of the switch are not man enough for the job of keeping the switch in place against the pressure of the glove box hinge pressing onto the switch plunger which has a fairly strong spring. I can envisage that if the glovebox lid is closed quickly, the pressure on the plunger and spring would be transmitted to the switch body, sufficient to pop the switch out of its location. Happily it is easy to clip back and I’ve reinforced mine with a bit of tape judiciously applied.

For those who check and find that their glovebox switch needs attention, note that you will need a torx-type screwdriver or star-bit socket, size TX20. Ordinary screwdrivers or hex keys will not do.

Start by removing the two screws at the bottom of the centre console, one each side of the tunnel separating the two front footwells. These two screws are easy to find and get at.

You will then have to prise out the rectangular black plastic surround to the cd/radio unit. Do NOT use force, or even tools – I found that finger nails and fingers were sufficient to overcome the clips that hold the surround in place at top and bottom.

With the surround removed, you will have access to six screws. The centre two secure the radio/cd unit in place, and have to be removed in order to slide the radio unit forward to give access to the lower two screws which are partly obscured by the radio. The top two are unobstructed.

With all six screws removed, slide the radio unit forward and completely out of its recess and support it on your knee or get someone to hold it. It isn’t necessary to detach any cables because there is generous cable length that enables the radio to come all the way out of the recess. With the radio removed, you have access to the last two screws that secure the centre console in place. These last two are at the back of the recess from which the radio has been removed. Ignore the larger single screw lower down at the right hand side of the recess - it is not necessary to touch this. When all screws have been removed, the centre console comes away with gentle tugging, exposing a sizeable hole that gives access to the space at the side of the glovebox where the switch is located.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal.

The whole job took me about 25minutes, but I was being very slow and careful to make sure that I did not damage anything. Knowing what to do and where the screws are located, I think that I could do it in half the time….if the need should ever arise again. Even 25 minutes is a lot less than the time of a return trip to the nearest dealer, and besides, I just like to know how the Roomy is put together! :thumbup:

• 4 years later...

Reheating an old post but many thanks for this description, it seems that 4 years on and consoles are still not put right at factory.

My wife's Roomster arrived with inoperable glove box switch, and seat heater switches swapped (left switch controls right seat, and vice versa). These are the only faults on the car I noticed so far. Dear Skoda, please do retrain your console fitters....

Dealer already offered warranty fix for the switches, but I am thinking of putting a PTC heater in so will wait a moment, perhaps I'll refit it myself. Waiting might be a good idea anyway in case there are more console-off faults...

In any case, I put a 1W LED in the glove box. Together with low power mode when car is locked it means the switch would use about quarter of battery capacity per month so not really a problem given the car is in daily/weekly use.

Edited by dieselV6