Changing Octavia II antenna to a shark fin antenna

Will see how it looks placed up on the car first....

Just put my money where my mouth is and ordered mine. Will post pics what it looks like on my Octy Combi when they arrive (car should be here in 2 weeks) :D

Just got the reply from the company selling the shark fin antenna... not really assuring how they answered to my request to some tech spec on the antenna.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Unfortunately at this time, we are unable to provide you with a spec sheet with specific details that pertain to the performance of our antenna. However, I can give you a rough estimate and let you know that while there is a drop in reception, you will be able to retain about 75% of the reception. But that will depend on a lot of factors, such as your location in reference to the radio towers and also the signal strength.

Well, I have already ordered mine, if it really sucks then will keep it for the looks only and add a rear screen antenna to get reception.

Just got an email from Canada - it's on it's way now.....

Will have to see how it looks after fitting.......

I got an email too, mine shipped today. Let's see which gets here first, the combi or the antenna :D

Starting to get ancious, estimated delivery for the car was next monday but currently not looking good to make that date. Car is on route somewhere from the factory to Finland... :orb_duh:

I got an email too, mine shipped today. Let's see which gets here first, the combi or the antenna :D

Starting to get ancious, estimated delivery for the car was next monday but currently not looking good to make that date. Car is on route somewhere from the factory to Finland... :orb_duh:

I installed the original VW shark fin antenna earlier this week. Installation was pretty straightforward.

I also had a time to take a look at the "anti-theft" protection on the original antenna, and guess what. It's very easy to get the whip part out, you just unscrew the whip and like Basil said, you just pull it up and that's it. Some anti-theft....

But the bad news, antenna reception gets worse. I've now had it for few days, and I can tell you that you'll lose reception quality even on strong FM channels. Not much, but enough to be heard.

Now I need to change the HU for something better, maybe for the JVC touchscreen thingy :)

I installed the original VW shark fin antenna earlier this week. Installation was pretty straightforward.

I also had a time to take a look at the "anti-theft" protection on the original antenna, and guess what. It's very easy to get the whip part out, you just unscrew the whip and like Basil said, you just pull it up and that's it. Some anti-theft....

But the bad news, antenna reception gets worse. I've now had it for few days, and I can tell you that you'll lose reception quality even on strong FM channels. Not much, but enough to be heard.

Now I need to change the HU for something better, maybe for the JVC touchscreen thingy :)

Any pics on the anti-theft when the whip part is removed? Is it easy to put back together?

Losing reception is expected, my mind is pretty much set on the shark fin what ever the reception, if the reception is really crap then will look into a rear screen antenna of some kind.

Any pics on the anti-theft when the whip part is removed? Is it easy to put back together?

Losing reception is expected, my mind is pretty much set on the shark fin what ever the reception, if the reception is really crap then will look into a rear screen antenna of some kind.

Sorry, no pictures at the moment, but I can take one tomorrow. Getting the whip off is REALLY easy, just pull up and that's it. And what's best, you can easily put it back, just push it back in and turn the antenna to the "wash" position. It locks back in.

The reception is ok when driving on highway or any larger road. In cities near tall buildings the reception gets worse.

One part of the problem probably is the Stream itself. The radio part on that isn't very good, and I'm thinking about changing the HU for something more suitable like I mentioned in my previous post.

As promised, here's some pictures of the regular antenna and the "anti-theft" mechanism.

Thanks for the pics, made my day, now I know that I do not need to remove the antenna base to try out the shark fin I ordered.

Just pull out the OEM antenna and plug in the shark fin, test for reception. If reception is hopeless then bin the shark fin and put the OEM back on.

Now, only thing I need is THE CAR!!! Delivery is aprox. 1 week late...:orb_tai_c

As promised, here's some pictures of the regular antenna and the "anti-theft" mechanism.

I tried to remove the antenna from the base, did not work. I did try to use more force, but no. Could not use more force because if I would have without a doubt broken something.

Could it be that VAG has enhanced the design? I tried with a "07 Roomster.

Btw, perfect timing for the antenna to arrive, will be in the local post office tomorrow AND tomorrow I will get the combi from the dealership!

I tried to remove the antenna from the base, did not work. I did try to use more force, but no. Could not use more force because if I would have without a doubt broken something.

Could it be that VAG has enhanced the design? I tried with a "07 Roomster.

Btw, perfect timing for the antenna to arrive, will be in the local post office tomorrow AND tomorrow I will get the combi from the dealership!

It should come off. You have to pull it straight up after unscrewing the antenna whip. If you try to pull it when it's lowered to the "wash" position, it won't come off.

Congratulations, tomorrow you'll join the Skoda clan officially :)

It should come off. You have to pull it straight up after unscrewing the antenna whip. If you try to pull it when it's lowered to the "wash" position, it won't come off.

Congratulations, tomorrow you'll join the Skoda clan officially :)

I tried pulling straight up, did not work. maybe will have another go tomorrow before returning the loaner Roomster, so if I break something it's does not bug that much:orb_cool_

And thanks, I started with a white company 1.6 MPI Octavia II hatch aprox 2 years ago. Changed jobs and now have been driving around in a ocean blue Roomster (funny little car, but the color really gets some unwelcomed comments :rolleyes:) on loan from the dealership.

But tomorrow... tomorrow I will get my very own black magic pearl combi 2.0 TDI DSG.:orb_rocki

Combi arrived! and also the antenna. Paint is a good match, curvature of the antenna base matches combi's roof about 99,9999999% the 3M doublesided tape compensates the difference.

Now I only need to get the OEM anti-theft antenna off and find a warmish place to but the shark fin on. Started snowing today so outside is not really ideal for DIY. I feel a project report coming along...

Now only need to stop grinning like an idiot :orb_cool_, can't help it the car is just so goooooood.

nice one mate - waiting for mine to arrive - maybe tmrw, I take it the VW paint code was a correct match to skoda's black magic?

Getting the OEM antenna off always brings up the thought - "think it's gonna break, what if those guys on Brisk were wrong..."

Needs some serious tugging - be bold!

I made a mental note to check that raising the bootlid doesnt foul the antenna on my fabia - would really be a PITA if I positioned too far rearwards....

Cheers

Bas

I did a test fitting, will need to find some DIY garage to put it on as it is too cold and wet outside. BTW, I think the antenna comes of much easier in the Octavia than in the Roomster, but it could just be me.

But here are some pics of the test fitting, the antenna's back end is not flush fit the roof as it is not fitten properly yet. I think the antenna looks great and can't wait to get it fitted permanently.:thumbup:

18690.attach

18693.attach

18692.attach

Also tried the reception, did not notice any difference while stationary, but that was expected as the reception in this are is really good (life on top of a hill and there are few things bloging the signal.

Is it me or does that not fit properly at the rear edge.

Not you, as I stated in the previous post the shark fin is not fitted properly, just put on there to have a look how. It fit's nicely when placed properly and the wires inside are not in the way.

It's below 0 degrees centigrade outside, had been raining and there is snow in the ground. Not really ideal conditions to fit something with doublesided tape...

Will send project pics when find a nice warm place to do it properly.

Well - I got it today and fitted it at lunchtime to my Fabia - perfect colour match and certainly lowers the car visually. Fractal antenna is a series of rectangular flat copper wires in the base running along one of the sides....

Make sure you test for fit by raising the bootlid fully - it certainly would be possible to position too far rearwards and have it hitting the vRS spoiler.....

I think purists are gonna hate this - dunno how I feel about it so far tbh....

some pics of the car parked in an alley behind work:

fitted.jpg

base.jpg

colour.jpg

Looks good Basil! I am still waiting to fit mine properly. Damn this winter weather... and DAMN for my current employer not getting parking from warm garage under our office building... Cheaper to get places from open (read: COLD) parking building next door.

Will have to do a visit to a DIY garage near by.

Basil, what's you experience on the reception? I think it's fine.

Thanks for the positive comments, been the most visually daring mod I've done yet - will have to see how it grows on me....

Haven't tried the radio reception yet tbh. After all the ECU swapping and other bits - need to reprogram the radio.

I almost never use the radio - I live on mp3's...

The internal antenna is flat copper wire arranged in a rectangular pattern. If stretched out would probably be longer than the honda s2000 antenna it replaced...

will let you know, but for me it's a non-issue....

Bas

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished my first proper drive outside good reception areas. I think the sharkfin loses 10-20% reception to the original one. To me it is acceptable.

Now only problem is that before I installed the antenna I got my car waxed and polished with a long lasting wax and it really shows that the antenna has not been polished.

Car has really deep faultless shine, but the antenna does not... Need to figure something out.