Roomster 3 1.6 Auto - any advice?

Manatee

I posted some questions on a general forum and it was suggested I ask the Skoda experts...

In short -

- we have a test drive booked in the mechanically similar Fabia 1.6 auto - is this going to give a reasonable idea of what the Roomster is like to drive?

- is the "Tiptronic" a conventional torque converter automatic apart from the tip bit? Any reason to think it will be anything other than reliable?

- any information on the engine and its strengths/weaknesses?

- is climate control a worthwhile upgrade on these or does it just introduce something else to go wrong? I have a vague recollection that VAG climate control can be a source of trouble?

- are there any common problems with these cars that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any contributions:)

I posted some questions on a general forum and it was suggested I ask the Skoda experts...

In short -

- we have a test drive booked in the mechanically similar Fabia 1.6 auto - is this going to give a reasonable idea of what the Roomster is like to drive?

- is the "Tiptronic" a conventional torque converter automatic apart from the tip bit? Any reason to think it will be anything other than reliable?

- is climate control a worthwhile upgrade on these or does it just introduce something else to go wrong? I have a vague recollection that VAG climate control can be a source of trouble?

Start here, it's a good appraisal of Tiptronic AFAIK there are no major issues in the Roomster, indeed nothing I can find or nothing posted on here.

I don't know much about the 1.6 fitted to the Roomster but it seems to review well on here.

The standard Aircon fitted to the Roomy is Climatic or semi auto anyway meaning it responds to temparature not just a position on a dial, I didn't see the point in a digital display and buttons doing the same job as a dial for an extra £250

In short -

It's going to drive differently as these 2 vehicles don't run on the same length wheelbase... Might try testing a lower trim level if the 3 is not available for such. Yet better stick with a 1 or 2 as the scout jacks it up a bit.

In short -

I have a Fabia 3 1.6 tiptronic, so it's very similar to what you are going to test drive (same engine/gearbox). It's a good engine and good gearbox. The tiptronic mode is very good, but I usually leave it in Drive or Sport because I am lazy, quick and smooth shifts, and 6 gears too!

As for strengths/weaknesses, I beleive this engine is quite reliable in other VW models, goes quite well and makes a nice noise.

Bit too early for common problems I guess, but all cars will still be under warranty right now

you should find that the test drive should give you a good idea of how the roomster will be. the auto is very smooth and as far as ive seen theres been no issues with the gearbox. the climate control is a nice touch imoa. ive got it in my roomster scout demo that im driving. again ive had no issues with it over the 5.5k and 4 months of driving it.

i think the steering in the roomster is a little sharper than the fabia, maybe its due the to back end being wider than the front. both cars have disc brakes as standard so the stoppers will have a similar feel too.

im going to have a look into the type of gearbox as im not sure if it is conventional torque converter or not.

you should find that the test drive should give you a good idea of how the roomster will be. the auto is very smooth and as far as ive seen theres been no issues with the gearbox. the climate control is a nice touch imoa. ive got it in my roomster scout demo that im driving. again ive had no issues with it over the 5.5k and 4 months of driving it.

i think the steering in the roomster is a little sharper than the fabia, maybe its due the to back end being wider than the front. both cars have disc brakes as standard so the stoppers will have a similar feel too.

im going to have a look into the type of gearbox as im not sure if it is conventional torque converter or not.

Yes, it is a traditional torque converter, but unlike most auto's it doesent seem to use it for torque multiplication (slipping), probably one of the best gearboxes on any small car of this stype I have ever used. My only concern is that the transmission fluid is not replacable, it is supposed to last the lifetime of the car which seems a bit disconcerting.

You also receive all round disc brakes, ESP and tyre pressure monitoring as standard with the tiptronic Fabia/Roomster which are cost options on all other models, so you actually pay very little for the gearbox if you consider this,

Yes, it is a traditional torque converter, but unlike most auto's it doesent seem to use it for torque multiplication (slipping), probably one of the best gearboxes on any small car of this stype I have ever used. My only concern is that the transmission fluid is not replacable, it is supposed to last the lifetime of the car which seems a bit disconcerting.

thanks for that. i woudlnt worry about the transmission fluid. it was the same for the oil in my vauxhall. they dont even have a drain point for the box! but you can use the inspection point to drain the oil and refil. so i imagine there must be a similar process. i mean, how do they drain it if they are working on the box?

thanks for that. i woudlnt worry about the transmission fluid. it was the same for the oil in my vauxhall. they dont even have a drain point for the box! but you can use the inspection point to drain the oil and refil. so i imagine there must be a similar process. i mean, how do they drain it if they are working on the box?

My understanding was that most cars need automatic tranmission fluid every 40k or so because it heats up, "Cooks" and forms deposits. I don't quite know what sort of miracle fluid Skoda are using here though lol but I am only leasing the car for 3 years so it will never be my problem:thumbup:

My understanding was that most cars need automatic tranmission fluid every 40k or so because it heats up, "Cooks" and forms deposits. I don't quite know what sort of miracle fluid Skoda are using here though lol but I am only leasing the car for 3 years so it will never be my problem:thumbup:

either that or if the unit isnt totally sealed against the environment the oil will break down and loose its viscosity i imagine?

leases is such a good idea when faced with these types of questions :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a FabiaII 1,9 TDI Sport a few months a go, and have driven it roughly 5200km's now. I have very few things to complain about. The water leak from the sunroof drains that I discovered early last week has been the only issue with my car. Cars produced after december 2007 are NOT affected by this.

I work at a dealer, so the sales department have provided me with different cars allmost every day as a substitution for my car while it's waiting for parts to arrive.

The difference between the FabiaII (which shares most of the undercarriage components with the FabiaI) and the Roomster is quite big. The Roomster is way more "Superb like" because of it's longer wheelbase. I find the Fabia more agile and fun to drive, while the Roomster is more comfy on long drives.

I have Climatronic in my car and I love it.. Compared to the Climatic equipped cars I have been driving, the Climatronic is heaven, and a very nice upgrade. In my car I just push the "demist windscreen" button on cold mornings to let the PTC elements in the heater do it's job to heat up the windscreen while i clean the other windows for ice and snow, and finish of with the windscreen. Other than that I just leave it at 20-22 degrees celcius AUTO and enjoy a nice "in-car environement". The Climatic is way more fiddeling with the "*****" to achieve the wanted temperature. From a technichians point of view the Climatronic is much better as well, because of it's much better diagnosis posibilities.

The autobox in the Roomster is a conventional converter box, but with a lock-up clutch built in the converter to save fuel. The box works very well when new, but I would recomend to change the ATF after roughly 60000 km's regardless of what Skoda says to ensure durability. As long as there are clutches / brakes in the gearbox that move to shift gears, there is wear on both oil/ATF and mechanical components, so changing the fluids after a while is never a bad thing.. And yes it CAN be done.

Enjoy your new car when you buy it!! :)

Jon A