Rubbish Fabia Power Steering

Hmm - I don't understand what you'd gain. If it isn't working then it won't be doing anything anyway.

There is plenty of infomation around here on how to change the part yourself.

Sorry, it is failing rather than totally failed. It arses about for a while, then settles down to an emergency setting (i think), every time I turn the car on. Upon the emergeny setting, I think the power to the sensor is disconnected. This can happen within 5 minutes or 1 hr.

Yaw sensor is around £40. Chap sells them new on Ebay - Give me a PM if you want his details and I'll pass you on his email address. Fitting is fiddly but takes around 30 minutes with some prior research (sure there must be a pictorial giude on this forum somewhere)

The fitting side is OK - It's more getting the wiring in right and secure between the sensor and the PAS pump. :) I would expect perhaps a knuckle or two to lose a little skin, but then I always expect that when working on my car - even when I wash the thing. :rofl:

My mother's 2000 Fabia 1.4 was in the garage with its power steering again today. Around 2 years ago it started giving trouble, light coming on, assistance failing briefly. Had turn angle sensor changed.

Problem subsequently arose another two times, garage changed sensor again FOC. However, its started again and the garage, now with a different Service Manager, have acknowledged its not the sensor. They checked the wiring and the sensor and have concluded that its (what my mother described as the pump but is probably) the motor.

Problem is that a new one costs €700 + VAT + fitting. :eek: She is willing to persevere with it but is worried about her impending National Car Test - if the light comes on during the test, she will probably fail.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this issue without spending a grand on a car worth three?:confused:

Your mother is right it is a pump, there is a UK based reconditioner that sells on ebay sometimes - but maybe VAG offer these pumps as exchange item. IIRC the ebayer guy - a proper reconditioner only charged about half the VAG price. Only problem is this, to you, is only here-say as I can't remember anymore details at the moment - maybe search ebay or pump remanufacturers for a good deal. Find out which pump (manufacturer) is fitted first as I think that the pump and rack are matched.

Dilbert, the remanufacturer that I was referring to is BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters I've had a look at their site and they £200 exchange for the pump/motor set - they give you some time to return the old one or a further charge of £75 will be made, but first of all you must find out which manufacturer of steering system you have fitted. I seem to remember that the name might just be possible to read on the power steering fluid tank cap - take it of and check - one supplier was TRV (I think) - also if the cover looks like the one on the bba site then it should be okay (Polo + Ibiza only got fitted with the one type - so maybe it was only Fabia up to ? that got the other type). I just picked up my car mag and BBA were featured in it this month - what luck so now its not just here-say. Plus you can do the transaction bit via ebay (if that helps).

Dilbert, I have not used them but found out about them when someone at work got totally screwed by his Skoda dealer when they changed the pump on his wife's Fabia - a couple of months later the same fault showed up again, dealer cleared fault, but when it showed up again a few months later, he was on holiday and the local dealer said "u/s angle sensor" and replaced that - at that time the general story in lazy Skoda dealers was "if there is any hint of a steering problem just change the pump"

Anyway, I was trawling ebay around that time an a refurbished pump was for sale and it was them that was selling it - as outlined in an article in Car Mechanic this month - a diy car mag, they used ebay mainly to get visibility and generate business, so the fact that this magazine seems to be featuring them a couple of years later and they are still in business - and doing okay it seems due to new mini steering pumps!!!

Anyway, if your steering fluid reservoir has a smooth top - might has TRW written on it, has vertical grooves for gripping and has a short dip stick with a sort of T on the end (reduced for a length), then you have a TRW power steering system fitted to youre mother's car. Otherwise it will be a SMI - KOYO (according to ETOS) - but that might only be in "other sales areas".

If I end up in your situation, I'd certainly buy from them, they give a two year warranty.

Dilbert, I've checked up on my ETOS for P/Ns and according to ETOS if your VIN is in the range up to 6Y - 3 - 830644, then you should need a pump P/N 6Q0 423 156Q . If your VIN is in between 6Y - 3 - 830645 > 6Y - 4 - 929644, then you should need a pump P/N 6Q0 423 155AB - these P/Ns are for TRW pumps. On the other hand, if your pump is SMI - KOYO, and your VIN is in the range up to 6Y - 4 - 929644, then you should need a pump P/N 6Q0 423 156R. Please note that the shortened version of the VIN number is just the first two characters, 6Y = Fabia, then the year character, 3 = 2003 or 4 = 2004, and then the last six characters ie the build serial number.